• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a fungus (1 Viewer)

honeym

Hi
I'm not sure if the attached is a fungus. In fact I'm not sure what it is. There were lots of similar patches on the branches of trees in a small reserve at Eskrigg, near Lockerbie, over Christmas. The white filaments were quite fragile and broke off at the sightest touch. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• White filaments on branches of trees at Eskrigg Dec 2017 web.jpg
    White filaments on branches of trees at Eskrigg Dec 2017 web.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
It's something known as Hair Ice. I think the actual threads are just frozen water, but apparently it only occurs when wood contains a fungus called Exidiopsis effusa, which somehow helps the ice to crystallize like this.

Hi James
Many thanks. Having checked "hair ice" on the web it looks spot on. There was certainly a lot around at this site.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back