• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 8x32 Conquest HD vs Kowa Genesis 8x33 (1 Viewer)

Be careful black crow, those and the EII are taking you ever nearer to the territory of the dreaded "alpha"... ;)

IMO, The Kowa Genesis is more equivalent to the Swarovski EL than a Conquest HD. The Conquest HD is OK, but more on par with a Meopta Meopro

I have them in hand. I'm very glad to have them. gr8fuldoug I'm going to agree with your evaluation because it makes me feel even better. Hope it's true. I think they are great.

I got to look at the new Monarch 7 8x30 and I thought the views were spectacular and maybe on par with the Kowa. Unfortunately the eye cups gave me partial blackouts unless I was very careful. I thought the sweet spot was big and roomy and very sharp at center and not very soft on the edge. Outside of the big sweet spot I guess that's how I evaluate the Genesis.

My sister was also there and she bought my pair of Celestron 8x42. We all agree they were just about as nice as all the others we had to look through. Amazing optics for $189 imo. Not quite as good but plenty good enough. There big weakness IMO is a very stiff focuser.

I was very impressed by the Monarch's. Had I not gotten blackouts I might have even preferred them to the Genesis in the moment due to their size and weight but we didn't spend enough time to really figure that out. It was a hurried and very incomplete comparison and I might feel very differently after a half hour of real viewing. I'll get that chance next week. This was from a pretty casual viewing that didn't last long. We were too interested in dinner and pie and ice cream. Both binoculars are terrific IMO. I brought my Zen 7x36 along and they did not compare well with either binocular. They were my first foray into good non compacts and I have an emotional attachment to them due to that but I can see it's time to let them go if I could ever find a buyer for a bino without a warranty.

For the price I can't do better than the Genesis most likely. I don't really see a small sweet spot likely because it goes a little softer so gradually. No blackouts and always perfectly easy eye placement. I totally appreciate that. The balance is about perfect imo. So now I wait on the Nikon Ell 8x30s for tuesday. My friend will have her new Tracts 10x42 and I'll tell ya what I think on those.

Edit: Now I've had them home and taken a walk with them I realize they are a real step up visually from anything else I have. I'm going to have fun with these. I don't know if I am in reality but tonight I feel like I'm back in the Alpha club.:king:

Last edited:
I've wanted to try the Kowa for a number of years now but they can't be found in town, so I've made many mental notes from everyone's posts here. There doesn't appear to be a consensus on this one. Some will say the Kowa is better and some will say the Zeiss is better. I have the Zeiss so I am familiar with it and I am content with it and I can live with its shortcomings and appreciate its strengths. Optically, the Kowa side of the debate contends a little bit sharper on axis and a little less CA off axis. I've seen infrequent and brief price reduction on the Kowa at just under a grand which puts it more in line with the Zeiss, but it may take a year for this to come around. Go to Allbinos.com and check out the allbinos rankings of 8x32mm glass, both have been reviewed and you can decide which criteria are important to you. Also, you should demo the Maven and then you will know and only be out a few bucks for the postage. It is a bit of a different package than the x32 Zeiss and Kowa which may or may not appeal to you, and offers reasonably good optics.

Four that I have on hand at the moment; Leica 7x42 UVHD+, Swarovski CL 8x30 (2018 release), Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, and Maven B3 8x30. If I was going to cut this group back to two, I would keep the Leica and the Maven as that is what fits my needs and uses the best. If I was to cut it back to just one, ???? I don't think I could make that decision.

My .02,

CG

I'll bet that Maven is great. I wonder how it stacks up against the Nikon 8x30 I was viewing tonight. If it's better then I am really impressed.

IMO, The Kowa Genesis is more equivalent to the Swarovski EL than a Conquest HD. The Conquest HD is OK, but more on par with a Meopta Meopro

If this is true then I'm glad to have the Genesis. I'm not overly impressed with my Meopro. They are good but not great.

I wanted to love the conquest when it first came out but even with the replacement eyecups I still got blackouts and found them finicie in general to get a decent view. At the same show the Kowa guy put a pair of Genesis in my hands and that was it. No CA just about perfect eyecups and while the Zeiss is well built the Kowa is better.
Steve

yes it's those perfect eyecups that first hooked me. I have never used anything near as good. Not my Swarovski's.

Be careful black crow, those and the EII are taking you ever nearer to the territory of the dreaded "alpha"... ;)

That's what everyone tells me. It will be something different for me using a porro as a main bino. I hope they work out well. I really like their looks.

Last edited:
I think I figured that out today Dennis, It is Dennis right? I spent the day birding with the Genesis and I left a little report in the Binocular Journal. I get it now. LOL.

James

I've said something similar but not quite. You might be referring to me even. I've always said and still maintain that 95% of what you get optically can be had for $200 or under. The rest you pay through the nose for.

I showed my Genesis to my sister along with the $189 Celestron I helped her find. She could see no important difference and I had to honestly agree. It's only with careful inspection and experience can you even appreciate that extra 5%. It's there to be had but IMO it's not a good value. If you have a lot of disposable cash who cares?

If someone told me tomorrow I had to give up my alphas and go back to the $200 Bushnell or Celestron etc. I really wouldn't be sad for more than a few minutes and I'd just pick up the Bushnell's and head out for some fun.

I see the alpha hunt as a hobby first and as an optic to use in the field secondary because there are a lot of sub alpha binoculars that can do that field work quite well.

Last edited:
The best is whatever he owns at that particular moment.

I'm not very sad when I am forced to use my Toric's though. They still punch waaaay above their pay grade.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back