• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seemingly the bird of the moment.. (1 Viewer)

In counterpoint to my last sketches, my Dad was a-rummaging through his attic and found a load of my old drawings I did for him!! So, for a laugh, I thought I'd post some of them - starting with an Isabelline Shrike for a 'then & now' comparison (hopefully I've gotten better...!!) They must date from around '85 as Sora seems to be quite prevalent in the drawings which would make me 12 or 13. Have no idea of the location of pic2...but check out the random Bluethroat!! Where did that come from??!! Also check out the standard of shading you can actually attain using nothing but felt-tip pens....!!! :-O

izzy shrike (Large).jpgnot sure where.... (Large).jpgsora (Large).jpg

Thanks Espen - see, I was sweet...once!! :-O It was all my Dad's fault this obsession with birds. I blame (ok, ok, thank) him completely!

Ha, cheers Colleen - pretty sure they were all copied from various books....used to spend hours drawing birds from the big Collins guides and the Reader's Digest Birds of Britain....in fact the Sora is, I'm sure, an adapted Spotted Crake from the latter...!! Not sure where the Izzy Shrike came from or why I drew it (didn't see one til '93) but it was funny that that was the first picture I looked at having just seen one another last weekend...

Thanks guys!! Probably won't be much on here for the next couple of days mind...!!!! Seems to take longer to get over it the older I get......god, now I sound like my parents - oh no, it's true, we do turn into them........AAArrrrrggggghhhh!
Need alcohol...NOW! :-O

....in fact the Sora is, I'm sure, an adapted Spotted Crake from the latter...!!

This reminds me of an artist I ran into drawing at a stream I often go to. When I asked him what the bird was he named a bird that I've never ever seen in Philadelphia. Then he said he was looking at the local sparrows and then adapting what he saw in the field guide to them to get his picture. I just presumed that he'd be drawing a bird that he'd actually seen. But my guess is that he was a good 40 years older than you were when you did the Sora.;)

As Colleen says it's a treat to see that early style. And of course, another belated Happy Birthday!

Cheers Nick & Ken - feeling better now!! Only a slight regurgitation but did get beaten at bowling by the girlf......dammit ;)
Of all the birds I've seen, Wryneck has to be one of my favourites! It's amazing how beautiful a bird that is basically grey and brown can actually be...the way that black stripe on the back almost takes on a life of its' own as the bird turns its' head from side to side is brilliant. Add to that their normally unwary behaviour and terrestial preferances you have a truly wonderful bird. This one was a Pagham for a few days last week....

Wryneck (1) (Large).jpgWryneck (Large).jpg

Last edited:
It's amazing how beautiful a bird that is basically grey and brown can actually be...the way that black stripe on the back almost takes on a life of its' own as the bird turns its' head from side to side is brilliant. Add to that their normally unwary behaviour and terrestial preferances you have a truly wonderful bird. This one was a Pagham for a few days last week....

View attachment 284662View attachment 284663

I always love reading why certain birds are favorites, and then seeing them get that down on paper.

pure imagination, I wish they really were this showy! First wryneck I saw, I only saw its bum as it was "guin-guin-ing" away in a thick bush, number two was a split second with just binoculars, three was just enough to draw some sort of half woodpecker half warbler shape, and it goes on like this, never managed a whole sheet of such excellent studies from what is rapidly becoming my favourite bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back