Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Formats and Quality

Old Tuesday 6th July 2010, 21:04   #1
jpoyner

Formats and Quality

Am trying to get my head round video editing, so have a couple of "basic" questions re formats. Ok here goes.

The camera records in MPEG2, but to edit in Moviemaker I need to convert to AVI....does this lose quality? (Also why doesn't MM just accept MPEG?)

Then what is the best way to save it to DVD? I read that when saving AVI to DVD it will automatically convert back to MPEG which loses quality?

I think basically what I'm asking is what is the best way to edit my footage (preferably with Moviemaker as it's quite good and easy), then save it to DVDs without any loss?

Thanks,

John
Old Sunday 11th July 2010, 17:03   #2
Mary
BF Supporter 2018

I'm no expert in any way with this, but I thought you could download MPEG2 without any bother?
http://help.live.com/help.aspx?proje...1&market=en-US
It seems to be listed in this help page. I've not been able to use my camcorder with Windows 7 as our change of computer has left me without a firewire port, so I'm only guessing, I'm afraid.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 11th July 2010, 19:33   #3
Mono
Hi!

John I'm guessing your on Windows XP?!

The Windows Moviemaker that ships with XP doesn't do Mpeg2 but the one that comes with Windows Vista and 7 does.

Yes, DVD standard is Mpeg2 so to use Windows Moviemaker XP you will need to convert your Mpeg2 into a format it understands AVI or WMV and then when you burn it to DVD it will be converted back into Mpeg2. Al that to-ing and fro-ing will cripple the quality.

You best bet if you want good results is to get something like Adobe Premiere Elements.
Old Monday 12th July 2010, 19:44   #4
jpoyner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
John I'm guessing your on Windows XP?!

The Windows Moviemaker that ships with XP doesn't do Mpeg2 but the one that comes with Windows Vista and 7 does.

Yes, DVD standard is Mpeg2 so to use Windows Moviemaker XP you will need to convert your Mpeg2 into a format it understands AVI or WMV and then when you burn it to DVD it will be converted back into Mpeg2. Al that to-ing and fro-ing will cripple the quality.

You best bet if you want good results is to get something like Adobe Premiere Elements.
I have Vista Home Basic. Still does not seem to work with MPEG2s. When I import the video file I just get audio playing and a blank preview screen (perhaps this is another issue, I assumed it just didn't work with them?).

Yep my problem is how much quality is lost by these conversions. I like Moviemaker but does seem daft I have to convert it to AVI, then as you say, back to Mpeg2 when it burns to a DVD.

Cheers for the reply

John

Last edited by jpoyner : Monday 12th July 2010 at 19:47.
Old Monday 12th July 2010, 19:49   #5
jpoyner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
I'm no expert in any way with this, but I thought you could download MPEG2 without any bother?
http://help.live.com/help.aspx?proje...1&market=en-US
It seems to be listed in this help page. I've not been able to use my camcorder with Windows 7 as our change of computer has left me without a firewire port, so I'm only guessing, I'm afraid.
Seems it only supports Mpeg in Vista Home premium upwards !!! Why does damn MicroSoft always do this???

See note at bottom

Support for using MPEG-2 and Microsoft Recorded TV Show video files in your movie (A file created by combining the video, photos, audio, and text contained in your project into one video file. Movie files are created when you save or publish your movie in Movie Maker, and are saved as a Windows Media file with a .wmv file name extension.) is available only if your computer is running one of the following editions of Windows Vista or Windows 7: Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, or Windows 7 Ultimate.
Old Wednesday 21st July 2010, 20:49   #6
Robert L Jarvis
Robert L Jarvis

Your best solution is to obtain purpose built video editing software. I use Corel Video studio which covers all those formats and all HD. Also allows you to adjust the video for antishake, light, sharpen and much more. Also has a youtube link.
Old Sunday 19th December 2010, 16:17   #7
MarTay6

Robert- is the Corel Video Studio you refer to the same as Corel Digital Studio??
Wes
Old Wednesday 22nd December 2010, 20:46   #8
Robert L Jarvis
Robert L Jarvis

Sorry for the lateness in replying, I think Digital is for stills, not sure. Check their website.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: