• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Razor HD and ZEN ED2 spotting scope (1 Viewer)

gainsbeen

I have been doing research for the past 6 months for a new set of spotting scope. I have narrowed it down to Vortex Razor and ZEN ED2 spotting scope. The Vortex is about $1600 and ZEN is $1000 with their discounts. I see the biggest difference is that Vortex has 85mm objective and ZEN has 82mm objective. Will that make significant difference in low light condition?

Hi greetings from Spain,I was a long time resident of New Mexico..Hope to visit sometime soon for I miss the place..
I Had a ZEN ED for almost a year and it is a good scope optically speaking..it is true what Henry just pointed..If you get a good unit of either model,It is going to be a nice scope..What i liked about the ZEN is that it accepts Swarovski eyepieces,and the Swarovski SW30X is an amazing eyepiece...that and the Wide angle Zoom that Zen ray makes ...Their warranty is good too...I havent seen the Vortex though,It might be better built ,but I doubt is 600 dollars better..

Henry Link and mayoayo,

Thank you for answering my question. I have tried my friend's Razor HD and found the view is quite good. Since the ZEN spotting scope is similarly built, I will get the ED2 spotting scope. Maybe I can use the extra money saved to upgrade my 8x43 ED to ED3. Nothing wrong with ZEN ED, the focuser speed is just tad too slow at short distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back