• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski New binocular launch (1 Viewer)

Sanjay Naithani

Hi friends,

Is there anyone who knows if there any new launch scheduled from Swarovski this year. Is there any news / information available. I am not sure if there will be newer version of EL Swarovision planned soon. It's been now 4 Year since EL SV was launched and now should be about time to see some breakthrough. One can expect to see technological shift in five year time.

Sanjay Naithani

Swarovski sells the Habicht since 60 years without much changes, development cycles in binoculars are not so fast. ;) Don't expect anything soon from Swaro. It's rather the competition who is due to bring out new stuff. Zeiss in the 32s and Leica...

Swarovski sells the Habicht since 60 years without much changes, development cycles in binoculars are not so fast. ;) Don't expect anything soon from Swaro. It's rather the competition who is due to bring out new stuff. Zeiss in the 32s and Leica...

I think there is still scope of making incremental improvements like FOV, light transmission rate and weight reduction to some extent, if not radical changes.

Regards

I think there is still scope of making incremental improvements like FOV, light transmission rate and weight reduction to some extent, if not radical changes.

Regards

Sanjay:

The current Swarovision binocular is very good, and by far the market
leader.

The previous EL model was out 10 years, with incremental
coatings and focuser changes along the way. Then came the SV.

I would not expect any changes for a while, as there is not any
needed.

Jerry

Regards

I don't think binoworld needs more increasing price$ for incremental change$. We've seen that for the past 10+ years, particularly with Leica, which transplanted the Trinny BN optics in a new unbricklike body, added dielectric coatings to the prisms and then ED glass to the objectives and more recently added HT glass to the prisms, and jacked up the price with each incremental change.

Swaro redesigned the EL with field flattener EPs, which the Nikon HG/HGL and SE have had for over 15 years, added ED glass, and for those changes, they raised the price about $700-$800.

Zeiss took the FL optics, added "HT glass" to the prisms and redesigned the body and made a nice price hike. Then Herr Doktor Dobler and his design team reinvented the EL as the SF with a wider FOV and an extra bridge, and it joined the SV EL's prices in the mesosphere.

These changes were more substantive than Leica's, particularly the SF, which incorporated several innovations, but they are all still building on what went before. None of those companies introduced groundbreaking technology such as digital bins or a better IS system than Canon.

A few percentage points in light transmission or a few degrees more FOV isn't going to set the world on fire, but it will burn a nice sized hole in your wallet. :smoke:

Brock

Agree. Very happy with my new EL8.5x42 and can't think of any improvement they can make to the already high visual excellence. They may improve light transmission by 2-3% but 1) will I be able to ever notice it in daily use (most likely not) and 2) will they be able to do it without negatively affecting any other performance of the binocs? I even prefer the current size and the weight as I feel there has to be some substance to the binocs to be able to keep them steady for long - too tiny, too light doesn't work for me.

Admittedly some members have reported issues with RB and the focus knob, which I have not experienced, so this could be the area for improvement (if perhapes not done already in the 2015 SV models) - but this is nothing radical and not worth holding on with the purchase waiting for a "better" SV model. Just my 2 c...

I can't help feeling that Zeiss is playing catch-up with their Victory SF range and that Swarovski can simply sit and watch with noting to worry about. By the way I have just received a call from a Zeiss dealer informing me the SF range has become available in Australia - a year after the launch! No thanks, I am more than happy with my SV EL I purchased in May.

Agree. Very happy with my new EL8.5x42 and can't think of any improvement they can make to the already high visual excellence. They may improve light transmission by 2-3% but 1) will I be able to ever notice it in daily use (most likely not) and 2) will they be able to do it without negatively affecting any other performance of the binocs? I even prefer the current size and the weight as I feel there has to be some substance to the binocs to be able to keep them steady for long - too tiny, too light doesn't work for me.

Admittedly some members have reported issues with RB and the focus knob, which I have not experienced, so this could be the area for improvement (if perhapes not done already in the 2015 SV models) - but this is nothing radical and not worth holding on with the purchase waiting for a "better" SV model. Just my 2 c...

I can't help feeling that Zeiss is playing catch-up with their Victory SF range and that Swarovski can simply sit and watch with noting to worry about. By the way I have just received a call from a Zeiss dealer informing me the SF range has become available in Australia - a year after the launch! No thanks, I am more than happy with my SV EL I purchased in May.

Yes, Swaro could redesign its focusers to make them consistently smooth, but that wouldn't require an innovation, just a long overdue change to correct a flaw.

As to the RB, those who are bothered by it have an excellent alternative in the SLCs.

My prediction (and remember you heard it here first, folks) is that there won't be a giant leap to digital from the major players anytime soon, but instead we will start to see digital features added to optical binoculars in the next 3-5 years. First hybrids, then all digital bins.

Brock

Yes, Swaro could redesign its focusers to make them consistently smooth, but that wouldn't require an innovation, just a long overdue change to correct a flaw.

As to the RB, those who are bothered by it have an excellent alternative in the SLCs.

My prediction (and remember you heard it here first, folks) is that there won't be a giant leap to digital from the major players anytime soon, but instead we will start to see digital features added to optical binoculars in the next 3-5 years. First hybrids, then all digital bins.

Brock

Hi Brock,

What kind of Digital features are expected. It will be at the cost of increased weight. I think with the evolvement of technology and lower weights , there may be scope go have hybrid binocular.

Sanjay

I'm also not sure what digital features could be added gradually to optical binoculars, or what would be hybrids vs. all digital bins.

The transition from optical to digital will be to replacing prisms and oculars by sensors and elecronic viewfinders. That will be a big leap, nothing gradual. The question is, when will the elecronic image be good enough so that people also do the leap to replace their optical bins by digital ones.

To the original question, I agree with others. Swaro is well placed for the years to come, they are under no pressure to shell out something new very fast. Which in principle gives them time to work on something really new. But I don't think the real innovations to stabilised bins or digital bins will come from Swarovski. Zeiss and Leica are better placed here, but even more likely is that this comes from Sony and the like.

Florian,
A digital binocular without optics seems to me not possible, moreover we would not gain anything in my opinion. Up to now I am not impressed by the photographic electronic viewfinders compared with "traditonal" optics/binoculars.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi Gijs, I think potentially, there is a lot to gain. See one of the discussions on digital binoculars here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=273175&highlight=digital+binoculars

Sony has brought out digital binoculars, which only in the second generation were already quite close to be useable. I've no doubts (any more) that digibins will come. Not sure though if they will widely replace optical binoculars, as digital photography has replaced film, or if rather a new type of instrument emerges that will be used alongside optical binoculars or by a specfic group of users only.

Last edited:
A digital binocular without optics seems to me not possible, moreover we would not gain anything in my opinion. Gijs van Ginkel

Agreed Gijs,

ALL Digital Cameras still use Optical Glass! Why would you want a converted Digital Image for your eyes to view Instead of the Amazing Optical image presented directly by Great Glass? |:S| I too See No advantage to "digital binos"!

Ted

Hi Brock,

What kind of Digital features are expected. It will be at the cost of increased weight. I think with the evolvement of technology and lower weights , there may be scope go have hybrid binocular.

Sanjay

Digital bins will still use optical glass, but you will be able to process the image so you can change the brightness, contrast, color bias, etc., and you will have a digital zoom. So it will add versatility to the bin.

They will also have built-in cameras, so you can capture images. No more carrying a camera and a bin, you get it all in one package.

Other capabilities might include a multi-lingual digital bird ID catalog to help you ID birds by image and song recognition software to help you ID birds by sound. And, of course, image stabilization.

Here's Sony's digital bin:

All-Digital-Recording-Binoculars

The key to all this happening is micro-miniature electronics. You don't want a really bulky bin, however, some of these features or even most of them might be carried in a separate device that you plug into the bin and wear on your belt. Or it might use Wi-Fi and you won't need wires.

Initially, they might add GPS capability (they already have that on fitness trackers) and a camera. Celestron and some other companies have had digital camera bins for years, but they haven't gone mainstream. They might once they're perfected.

Brock

Digital bins will still use optical glass, but you will be able to process the image so you can change the brightness, contrast, color bias, etc., and you will have a digital zoom. So it will add versatility to the bin.

They will also have built-in cameras, so you can capture images. No more carrying a camera and a bin, you get it all in one package.

Other capabilities might include a multi-lingual digital bird ID catalog to help you ID birds by image and song recognition software to help you ID birds by sound. And, of course, image stabilization.

The key to all this happening is micro-miniature electronics. You don't want a really bulky bin, however, some of these features or even most of them might be carried in a separate device that you plug into the bin and wear on your belt. Or it might use Wi-Fi and you won't need wires.

Initially, they might add GPS capability (they already have that on fitness trackers) and a camera. Celestron and some other companies have had digital camera bins for years, but they haven't gone mainstream. They might once they're perfected.

Brock

How about upgrading a cell phone with these features?:t:

The geeks could call each other and discuss CA and veiling glare and e-mail a picture of the occasional bird they see!

Sony should jump on this. Zeiss might give them a special price on their glass!

Bob

ALL Digital Cameras still use Optical Glass! Why would you want a converted Digital Image for your eyes to view Instead of the Amazing Optical image presented directly by Great Glass? |:S| I too See No advantage to "digital binos"!

Sure digital cameras still use glass, but they don't use film any more and also optical viewfinders have disappeared in many camera types.

The same will happen to binoculars, objectives will stay and prisms and oculars will be replaced by electronics.

Brock

No offence, Brock, but I can't, for the life of me, begin to imagine why anyone would consider that to be an improvement.

Sure digital cameras still use glass, but they don't use film any more and also optical viewfinders have disappeared in many camera types.

The same will happen to binoculars, objectives will stay and prisms and oculars will be replaced by electronics.

Digital cameras (SLR's and all-in-ones) enhance, process, store electronic images captured by their sensors...but all starts with high quality optical glass! Digital binos with technology features (pics, movies, zooms, software ID's, etc.)...sure it is already here or coming. However, for quality real time bino viewing, I still want that Optical Image Directly to My Personal Sensors! :-O

Ted

I think there's quite a lot of scope for making improvements left, and the easiest way forward would be to abandon roof prisms, especially roof prisms that require highly complex dielectric coatings in addition to phase coatings, in favour of "simple" prism systems like Porro I or Porro II, or perhaps the Perger prism.

Hermann

Digital cameras (SLR's and all-in-ones) enhance, process, store electronic images captured by their sensors...but all starts with high quality optical glass! Digital binos with technology features (pics, movies, zooms, software ID's, etc.)...sure it is already here or coming. However, for quality real time bino viewing, I still want that Optical Image Directly to My Personal Sensors! :-O

Ted

Ted,

Your personal sensors can be digitally enhanced, too.

Rochester Nomogram

And if you are a poker player, you'll want a pair of these:

digital-eyes-show-emotions

I, Roboman

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back