• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski New binocular launch (1 Viewer)

The strap attachment and new objective covers seem over engineered. So much for aftermarket straps...which we use on all our binoculars.

Both versions are shown side by side. Does this mean that the old versions will still be available for purchase or are they simply there for comparison?

The new version is called a "FieldPro package."

Bob

Last edited:
A classic example of..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it". This will not be a popular change I'm thinking.

why do you think it will not be popular. I think it should be fine as long as they don't charge more for it. Changes looks ok. Am I missing something here in my understanding ?

Sanjay

IMO- Cosmetic changes that were not really needed, and fairly uninspiring.

Now, a new 8x32/30 SLC would have been a nice addition to that line up. But- probably will not see that in the future.

why do you think it will not be popular. I think it should be fine as long as they don't charge more for it. Changes looks ok. Am I missing something here in my understanding ?

Sanjay

I don't think it will be popular for a couple of reasons, well make that three.

1- It obsoletes all generic straps and harnesses people have come to use according to their preferences. It is now Swaro strap or bust. Or get inventive so you can use your tried and true system.

2- It is the same thing as being marketed on the EL range series. Hunter forums, who have an adoration level for Swarovski that make the advocacy here look like a bunch of pikers, don't like it and have been saying so.

3- It is a more complex solution to a non existent problem. Does that ever really work?

What Swarovski needed on the EL was a good tripod exit. Maybe I missed that, but I don't see it.

Last edited:
The strap attachment and new objective covers seem over engineered. So much for aftermarket straps...which we use on all our binoculars.

yep, I'm a bit reserved for these novelties as well,

the new strap mount will rotate, hindering the strap to tangle/twist,
I guess thats about it, so no nobel prize for this solutions, but perhaps the Ig Nobel prize:

http://www.improb.com/ig/ig-top.html

+ I don't like the look of the mounts, bumps sticking out, like the ones on Frankensteins monster… :king:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/07/20/article-2371172-1AE6D4E1000005DC-347_306x423.jpg

and for us who don't use objective lens covers, the bino will look broken in the front,
:C

Last edited:
Guys hold your horses.......

It is possible to use this system on all binoculars with a simple modification (you do not need to use the Swaro strap attachement) that deserves the Nobelprice for simplicity. I've tested this new system and it does work!!

Jan

It is possible to use this system on all binoculars with a simple modification (you do not need to use the Swaro strap attachement) that deserves the Nobelprice for simplicity. I've tested this new system and it does work!!

Jan

Horse now on hold! Companies often get carried away with themselves. As do observers of what companies do.

Indeed, I would have been surprised if Swaro really would have made it difficult to use other straps. But could you explain how it works, or better, show a photo?

So far there was only one person commenting who actually knows the EL range system, and he said he doesn't like it...

Indeed, I would have been surprised if Swaro really would have made it difficult to use other straps. But could you explain how it works, or better, show a photo?

So far there was only one person commenting who actually knows the EL range system, and he said he doesn't like it...

theres a nice (slow-motion?) instruction video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIfkzNCocYk

still don't like it,o:D

and here is some more on the accessories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w9dn5orj1k

Last edited:

Jan

good for you!

but didn't you get those strap mount bumps carving into your hands?

at least on the 8x32 they seem to inter fear.

...the new strap mount will rotate, hindering the strap to tangle/twist...

Does the mount allow unrestricted rotation? In my experience, if so, like the one on the Pentax Papilio, it becomes much easier for the strap to get twists. Drives me crazy. A twist is added any time the strap is rotated 360 degrees on one side.

I like traditional strap lugs made of steel (not aluminum or magnesium), especially the very utilitarian-looking rounded wire ones on the Leica BA/BN series. Based on all of Swarovski's exhortations to use a short piece of webbing rather than direct attachment with a metal clip when attaching a harness, they must be tired of repairing lugs that have been damaged thusly. Perhaps that was their motivation for the new system.

--AP

Does the mount allow unrestricted rotation? In my experience, if so, like the one on the Pentax Papilio, it becomes much easier for the strap to get twists. Drives me crazy. A twist is added any time the strap is rotated 360 degrees on one side.

I like traditional strap lugs made of steel (not aluminum or magnesium), especially the very utilitarian-looking rounded wire ones on the Leica BA/BN series. Based on all of Swarovski's exhortations to use a short piece of webbing rather than direct attachment with a metal clip when attaching a harness, they must be tired of repairing lugs that have been damaged thusly. Perhaps that was their motivation for the new system.

--AP

I think so, 360 degrees+ rotation, and to me it seems like it should work,
but it looks funny, a bit un-aesthetic sort of.

:smoke:

--AP

Alexis:

I agree with your thoughts about the strap mounting lugs. Some time
ago, their new binoculars were shipped with that short strap, to go through
the lugs. It is a shame to have the lugs worn out with rings or whatever
going through them, and then wty. the binocular.

As far as changes I like the new ocular cover, the old plastic one was
not very good in my opinion, I switched mine to the winged ocular cover
with winged eyecups, much better. The new objective covers look like
a nice change also. They should stay on better, and Swaro. was probably tired of mailing out new ones to those who lost them.

The first picture below is the 8x32 EL, those do not
stay on very good at all. I used zip ties to secure them.

The second picture the short strap for strap mounting.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN1052.JPG
    DSCN1052.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN1079.JPG
    DSCN1079.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 109
Alexis:

I agree with your thoughts about the strap mounting lugs. Some time
ago, their new binoculars were shipped with that short strap, to go through
the lugs. It is a shame to have the lugs worn out with rings or whatever
going through them, and then wty. the binocular.

As far as changes I like the new ocular cover, the old plastic one was
not very good in my opinion, I switched mine to the winged ocular cover
with winged eyecups, much better. The new objective covers look like
a nice change also. They should stay on better, and Swaro. was probably tired of mailing out new ones to those who lost them.

The first picture below is the 8x32 EL, those do not
stay on very good at all. I used zip ties to secure them.

The second picture the short strap for strap mounting.

Jerry

We are forgetting reduction in weight which is good in 10*42 I.e. 40 GMs

Sanjay

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back