• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Focusers: facts at last. (1 Viewer)

It wasn't. The tolerances on these pop-up diopter mechanisms are quite slim. The Swaros knobs are extremely close to the body and some rub causing friction and resistance. I found that a rinse under the tap usually results in smoother operation. I have not performed a particulate matter analysis so all I can do is assume the water flushes out accumulated dust, environmental crud and/or simply lubricates the mechanism. It's just an observation I've had since 2004 when I purchased an Ultravid.

Which leads me to ask, are we sure that the binocular isn't waterproof with the diopter mechanism popped out? I haven't found anything in the SLC-HD owner's manual suggesting that to be the case.

Ed

Which leads me to ask, are we sure that the binocular isn't waterproof with the diopter mechanism popped out? I haven't found anything in the SLC-HD owner's manual suggesting that to be the case.

Ed
Ed,
I don't know about the Swaros but Leica said not to rinse with the diopter popped out. If you've seen it, the Leica mechanism is different from the Swaro so maybe it's susceptible to water intrusion where the Swaro isn't.

If you determine the Swaro is OK open or closed please let me know.

I have purchased 10*50 SV only two Weeks back and focus knob is butter smooth. I see no problem with it so far. Also I have not seen any rolling ball effect which has been much talked about.

Sanjay

Ed,
I don't know about the Swaros but Leica said not to rinse with the diopter popped out. If you've seen it, the Leica mechanism is different from the Swaro so maybe it's susceptible to water intrusion where the Swaro isn't.

If you determine the Swaro is OK open or closed please let me know.

Will do. But, of course, it's better to err on the conservative side and keep it closed.

Ed

Ed

I just talked to SONA on a matter relaated to my SV. The binocular is waterproof with the diopter out.

With Leicas and diopter popped out, water can get into the window that shows the diopter setting, which is a minor problem, but not inside the barrels.

I'm pretty sure that no waterproof bin can be unsealed by opening the diopter setting. That would make the waterproofness pretty useless.

I posted this in another thread, but is probably better suited in this one. A common complaint (at least with the EL Swaros) is that it is requires more oomph to turn in one direction than the other. On my 10x32 SV Swaro that is the case, but is barely detectable if looking for it, not detectable if not looking for it, and in no way effects focusing itself. I've put it down to the internal mechanical design of these glasses.
-----------

My 10x32 SV Swaro is perfectly smooth at all times, but slightly heavier in the CCW direction, which has absolutely no effect on use. If I close my eyes and hold glasses waist high, I can detect it.

I wrapped 4 windings of cotton thread around the focus knob, tied the thread to my digital trigger pull gauge. It is 1/10 ounce heavier CCW than CW (1/10 ounce is the max resolution of the gauge.)

Tested my Canon 12x36 IS II's, they are 1/10 ounce heavier in the CW direction, as are my Nikon 8x20 LX's. My ancient Swaro 8x30 WB SLC's are the same pull in both directions. All are perfectly smooth, repeatable, and the slight extra effort to turn in one direction is not noticeable unless concentrating on the difference.

I posted this in another thread, but is probably better suited in this one. A common complaint (at least with the EL Swaros) is that it is requires more oomph to turn in one direction than the other. On my 10x32 SV Swaro that is the case, but is barely detectable if looking for it, not detectable if not looking for it, and in no way effects focusing itself. I've put it down to the internal mechanical design of these glasses.
-----------

My 10x32 SV Swaro is perfectly smooth at all times, but slightly heavier in the CCW direction, which has absolutely no effect on use. If I close my eyes and hold glasses waist high, I can detect it.

I wrapped 4 windings of cotton thread around the focus knob, tied the thread to my digital trigger pull gauge. It is 1/10 ounce heavier CCW than CW (1/10 ounce is the max resolution of the gauge.)

Tested my Canon 12x36 IS II's, they are 1/10 ounce heavier in the CW direction, as are my Nikon 8x20 LX's. My ancient Swaro 8x30 WB SLC's are the same pull in both directions. All are perfectly smooth, repeatable, and the slight extra effort to turn in one direction is not noticeable unless concentrating on the difference.

Nice experiment, Barshnik. :t:

According to the Weber-Fechner laws of psychophysics, the just-noticeable difference (jnd) between two stimuli is proportional to the magnitude of the stimuli. Hence, it becomes easier to perceive a force difference of 1/10 oz. if the overall turning force requirement is reduced. Ironically, this may plague Swarovski's new focusers simply because they succeeded in designing them to turn with a lighter touch.

No good deed goes unpunished. 3:)

Ed

Any first hand reports from the knob twiddlers at the UK Birdfair?

I must admit the last time I tried a whole mess of Swaro demo unit focusers, roughly a third were, well, um, ....... rough ....... :-C

This unevenness, roughness, grittiness, or just plain ol' un-niceness, ranged from a jnd (just-noticeable difference) to a sbtewashne (smacked between the eyes with a 600 Nitro Express) !!

Apparently the reason for this grittiness lies in the design -- they don't seem to have the lubrication properties of say a Zeiss (whose units were largely buttery smooth on the upper end models) AND are purposely designed to work in a wide range of temperatures without a substantial difference in feel, particularly silly cold, where sensible antipodeans will be securely snuggled up inside beside a log fire, with a nice hot cup of tea. On the other hand, those with a penchant for variously fist-pumping, loudly and deeply shouting "U" "S" "A", "U" "S" "A", Europeans with a fondness of leather, HunTers, and hairy-chested birders, who seem to enjoy being knee deep in snow, desperately trying to catch a brief focused glimpse of whatever it is they are watching, in the narrow window of clear air in-between the heavy breathing induced complete white-out fogs enveloping their view ....... seem to find some merit in this ability. :cat:

This is of little consequence in this neck of the woods where the temp routinely oscillates between room and triple digits plus, and 32 degrees F is literally freezing. The only ones out in weather hotter than this are mad dogs and Englishmen anyway, and the only ones likely to be out in the below freezing stuff are Scottish dudes enjoying some nice balmy mid-summer weather for a change! :cool: :eek!:

I can hand on heart say that the most perfect focuser I have ever used was on a Swaro 10x50 SV .............. perfect in that the view was so WOW! that I honestly cannot tell you a single detail about the focuser ....... :smoke:

Chosun :gh:

I tried a friend's brand new 2015 Swaro 10x42 EL Range bins the other day and the focus was velvet smooth. I thought I could detect a very, very slight more resistance in the CW direction (opposite to what is usually the case) however I think it was my imagination. It was the easily the equal of the Zeiss HT in smoothness and control. I think Brock needs to record this finding in his database. ;)

Swaro 10x50 SV .............. perfect in that the view was so WOW! that I honestly cannot tell you a single detail about the focuser ....... :smoke:
Chosun :gh:

Have you too fallen for the adage "Bigger is better"?:-C Not true, it is all in the mind. Swarovski must be loving this 10x50 adulation.

Last edited:
I can hand on heart say that the most perfect focuser I have ever used was on a Swaro 10x50 SV .............. perfect in that the view was so WOW! that I honestly cannot tell you a single detail about the focuser.

Chosun

Well stated about their optical attributes, Chosun. After my first 2 hour comparative experience, I had to return the next day just to consciously be aware of any ergonomic handling issues. None found, purchased the 10x50 SV's that same day! o:D

Ted

I am using 10* 50 SV and specifically for focus, it is butter smooth.I have to move focus wheel very little to move from 150 meters distance to say 3 kms. It may be because everything remain in focuss quite well. I think it has excellent focus.

Sanjay

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back