• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upgrade or not?? (1 Viewer)

mountainflute

Ankur Shah
HI all
I have a Canon EOS 7D, with 100-400 EF-L USM lens... This combo is working well as far as getting amateur pics, I'm planning to get an upgrade or perhaps a new lens set.
What are your suggestions between a non Canon 150-600 mm or a 600 or 800 Canon lens or perhaps just get an extender...

Am I reading this correctly? You are asking for advice between a (Sigma/Tamron) 150-600 compared to a Canon 600/800mm lens.

I previously owned the Canon 600 F4 L IS and now own the Canon 800 F5.6 L IS and they are markedly better than the 150-600 lenses. However they are much larger, heavier and VERY much more expensive! The tripod and head needed would cost about the same as the 150-600 lenses.

Perhaps you could let us know the specific lenses that you are thinking of.

All the best.

@johnf3f
actually, am a little confused... the pics in my gallery are all shot on 100-400 canon. and I feel perhaps i could do better with a better zoom... so am actually looking around for suggestions

The 150-600 Sigma and Tamron lenses offer great value and focal length as well as being easily portable. A 500 (or longer) prime lens would be great but they get heavy and very expensive. Also have a look at the Canon 100-400 L IS MK2.
Just some food for thought.

HI all
I have a Canon EOS 7D, with 100-400 EF-L USM lens... This combo is working well as far as getting amateur pics, I'm planning to get an upgrade or perhaps a new lens set.
What are your suggestions between a non Canon 150-600 mm or a 600 or 800 Canon lens or perhaps just get an extender...

Is this the 100-400 I or II?

Looking at the reviews out there, The 100-400 II is significantly better than the I, and crops from the II can even compete with the 150-600s.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back