Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

So....I've been trying to contact Zen-Ray...

Old Tuesday 28th March 2017, 18:46   #26
BigWok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWok View Post
A small update: I was able to reach "Charles" at ZR using his direct email he told me "please send it back to us so I can pick a pair for you."

I sent the bins back on Sat.(3/10) and they where delivered yesterday(3/13) I sent another email informing about there delivery(no reply yet). That's where I'm at now, I hope to have replacements by the end of the week.
Second update: Replacement bins finally arrived yesterday(3/27) Had to send a reminder email on 3/22 to get them to ship.

Out of the box the focus wheel felt stiff and very little play. I worked the focus back and forth about 10 times and it was apparent that there was about the same amount of play as the original pair.

Looking inside and I see the exact same problem: a screw is backed out and wiggles up and down with the movement of the focus wheel.

So I sent Charles a video and picture of the problem and asked for a complete refund yesterday(3/27), and am waiting for a response which seems to take around 2 days.

After inspecting them more I found the left Objective lens has a cloudy/hand print type appearance on bottom portion that is on the inside of the lens. Didn't notice this till after I emailed Charles about the refund....

Really wanted to like these 7x36's and Zen-Ray but I think I will stay clear from now on.
Old Wednesday 29th March 2017, 00:45   #27
w.travis

BigWok,

That is a real bummer to hear. I use to own the 7x36 and it had no issues. I sold it... big mistake. I was considering buying another one with the deal going on right now, but after reading this thread I am not so sure anymore.
Old Friday 7th April 2017, 18:56   #28
BigWok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWok View Post
Second update: Replacement bins finally arrived yesterday(3/27) Had to send a reminder email on 3/22 to get them to ship.

Out of the box the focus wheel felt stiff and very little play. I worked the focus back and forth about 10 times and it was apparent that there was about the same amount of play as the original pair.

Looking inside and I see the exact same problem: a screw is backed out and wiggles up and down with the movement of the focus wheel.

So I sent Charles a video and picture of the problem and asked for a complete refund yesterday(3/27), and am waiting for a response which seems to take around 2 days.

After inspecting them more I found the left Objective lens has a cloudy/hand print type appearance on bottom portion that is on the inside of the lens. Didn't notice this till after I emailed Charles about the refund....

Really wanted to like these 7x36's and Zen-Ray but I think I will stay clear from now on.

Charles finally replied to my 3/27 email on Monday 4/3 telling me to send them back.
I did and they where received yesterday 4/6. Just awaiting my refund now.

Charles also emailed me a interesting response to the problem with the binos:

"Thanks for the feedback. I have asked out engineers on the screws inside the focus mechanism. They told me they are not backed out screws at all. Due to internal space constraint, the mechanical design internal to the binoculars are not completely symmetric. As a result, one side of screws appears to protrude more than the other side. But both of them are securely fastened to their designed positions. We haven’t seen any loose screws over the last 10+ years.
Thanks
Charles"

The way I see it there is an inherent design flaw, others may see it differently.
Old Saturday 8th April 2017, 02:46   #29
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

I checked my 7X36 and found the screws shown in your photo. As with yours, one sticks out more than the other.

Has it been established the screws are the source of the focus play? If not, then I see the screws as just part of the design and not necessarily a design flaw.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 9th April 2017, 15:42   #30
BigWok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post

Has it been established the screws are the source of the focus play?
Well on the 2 pair I had the screw seemed to at least contribute to if not cause the play.

I say this because it wiggles back and forth with movement of the focus wheel. This happens because the screw is protuding from its intended position and not fully seated.

If it was fully seated and not protruding then there would be no/minimal play in the focus system and possibly fix the problem.

Building this play into focus from the start by not compensating for the non symmetrical design is the design flaw I see.

The use of a shorter screw, shorter shoulder on the screw or even a washer are just a few ideas for probable fixes of this flaw.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: