Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Why isn't Zen Ray fixing customer service?

Old Thursday 30th November 2017, 16:54   #26
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartwell99 View Post
The answer is looking increasingly like "yes". The ZR website now shows all of the pictured binoculars and scopes as "Out of Stock", and no orders can be placed. While the site will supposedly be revamped in 2018, it would not surprise me to learn that the company is now out of business. It's a shame as the products were actually pretty good. Hopefully, the same fate will not befall other newcomers like Maven, Tract, GPO etc.
If you liked the ZR product, and the company IS out of business ... you will undoubtedly be able to find virtually the same product from MANY other vendors. The COSMETICS will be different, the WEIGHT might be a touch different, the AR COATINGS MIGHT be different, and the SALES VERBIAGE and COST will be different, but the product won’t be. They supplied from China, just like most of the new kids on the block that everyone likes to brag about. Some of the best of these products (mainly Porros), today, were the best products of the 1960 and ‘70s.

The bino on the left in the photo was sold by an AMERICAN company. The one on the left came from a fine old EUROPEAN company. The difference was in cosmetics, marketing, and THREE HUNDRED NINETEEN DOLLARS.

They were BOTH fine ... JAPANESE products!!!

This is why I have beaten the drum for studying longevity and fiscal strength for so long I have blisters. But, sometimes, price point makes eyes roll back into the head and you can't save people from themselves.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0923 copy 2.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	647705  

Last edited by WJC : Thursday 30th November 2017 at 18:37.
Old Thursday 30th November 2017, 18:23   #27
Kammerdiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
If you liked the ZR product, and the company IS out of business ... you will undoubtedly be able to find virtually the same product from MANY other vendors. The COSMETICS will be different, the WEIGHT might be a touch different, the AR COATINGS MIGHT be different, and the SALES VERBIAGE and COST will be different, but the product won’t be. They supplied from China, just like most of the new kids on the block that everyone likes to brag about. Some of the best of these products (mainly Porros), today, were the best products of the 1960 and ‘70s.

The bino on the left in the photo was sold by an AMERICAN company. The one on the left came from a fine old EUROPEAN company. The difference was in cosmetics, marketing, and THREE HUNDRED NINETEEN DOLLARS.

They were BOTH fine ... JAPANESE products!!!

This is why I have beaten the drum for studying longevity and fiscal strength for so long I have blisters. But, sometimes, price point makes eyes roll back into the head and you can't save people from themselves.

Bill
Yes indeed, Bill. That Bushnell Legend M (see above, in the Bushnell section) is basically the same thing. I really liked this bino (Zen version) , but if it craps out and won't be repaired....well I guess I'll pass. Of course Bushnell has more resources than Zen had. Still. Life is short.

Last edited by Kammerdiner : Thursday 30th November 2017 at 18:32.
Old Friday 1st December 2017, 08:27   #28
mooreorless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleOhio View Post
The good news, I guess, is you can't buy them anymore since they are closed. The bad news is, I'm learning, that my ZRs in need of repair are probably forever dead.
I would not say that, check some of the online stores.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: