• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 800mm f13.3 Spotting scope to SLR Adaptor (1 Viewer)

Hi, I have one of these adapters which is the predecessor to the current FSA-L1 adapter for Nikon DSLRs. However, about 15 years back I got it modified to a Canon FD mount to fit my dad's old Canon AE-1. I currently use it to adapt my Canon Eos 600D and 60D to my Nikon ED78 scope with a FD-EF adapter (I don't use Nikon DSLRs and have no experience using them).

This combo has given me a huge magnification of somewhere about 1600mm (800mm x 1.6 crop factor x 1.25 adapter magnification). This is only bested by my Coolpix 8400 and P6000 at full zoom (the result is similar to those cameras at about 75% zoomed in). I end up shooting at about F14 though, so a strong Manfrotto tripod, mirror lock-up and a remote control are absolutely essential. As I'm a career digiscoper this is not a problem, although pure DSLR uses may encounter difficulties. unlike a compact camera setup, there is no zoom provision. A balance bar is necessary in light of the lopsided weight of the DSLR.

Photo results are good, comparable with uncropped shots though a Canon 400mm F4 lens in clarity. However, the setup necessitates shooting with at least ISO800 and more like ISO1000 on the 60D or 1600 on the 600D. The image on the viewfinder can be rather dark. A red dot scope (which I'm in the process of acquiring)would greatly aid aiming.

Personally I think this is a great setup. You may want to get a Nikon ED82 scope though as the EDIII scope you are using may not be able to capture enough light for this setup.

Regards,

Hor Kee

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back