• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Vyne, near Basingstoke (1 Viewer)

CasualBirderPod

Casual Birder
Hi, New Member here.
I have recently started visiting The Vyne National Trust property as an easy birding location with several habitats, that suit me as a casual birder.
On my second visit there (28th March) I was rewarded with seeing a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, which was a lifer for me.
I also saw my first Swallow of the season, which seemed pretty early to me.

I will update this thread with my key sightings as I find them, but I'm also keen to hear from others in the area.

In a normal year, there should be a few Swallows around, but they are quite late in arriving this year, along with just about all other migrants. I too have seen one Swallow in March in Hampshire this year. Hopefully the rest will follow shortly!
David

Well done on seeing the woodpecker - sadly nowadays a very rare sight. Perhaps if you have time you could send details of your lifer to the county recorder. Anyhow, a great occasion and continue to enjoy birding.

In a normal year, there should be a few Swallows around, but they are quite late in arriving this year, along with just about all other migrants. I too have seen one Swallow in March in Hampshire this year. Hopefully the rest will follow shortly!
David
Oh, that's really interesting. I felt that it was usually well into April before I started noticing Swallows, but I have this one logged this time so I can watch out for them in future years.

Well done on seeing the woodpecker - sadly nowadays a very rare sight. Perhaps if you have time you could send details of your lifer to the county recorder. Anyhow, a great occasion and continue to enjoy birding.
Thank you. I hadn't really considered that they might be rare sightings these days - I thought I might just have been unobservant in the past. I will look for the county recorder details.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back