• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Namibia birds and questions (1 Viewer)

Paul Buckley

Dear all
My partner and I just returned from a great trip to Namibia - my first. We hired a car and visited Windhoek area, Walvis Bay, Brandberg, Etosha, Kavanago area, Shakawe (Botrswana) and Waterberg. We saw around 330 species. We were surprised how few birders or birding groups we met - just one group in three weeks. We will post a report and add to Birdtrack in due course
Anyway an observation and some questions.
1. 8th March Sandwich Harbour. We visited this fascinating area south of Walvis Bay. Not that many birds but well worth a visit. Anyway I was watching a group of 5 whimbrel at some distance on the beach when they took flight. One of them clearly lacked a white rump. I didnt get a good view so not sure what to say but worth looking out for is youre in the area. I know hudsonian Whimbrel is recorded in Africa but very rare..
2. 13th March just west of Halali Etosha. We were watching a yellow mongoose when it flushed a small quail like bird. It flew just a couple of metres and then rushes straight back into cover. all I got on was some rufous flashes around the wing but I instantly wondered if it was a small button quail. SABAP has records of this from the area but no other quail. So I just wondered if anyone has seen small button quail or any other quail or button quail in this area
3. 23rd March Waterberg We took an early morning walk from the NWR camp west on the Kambazebi trail. Large numbers of red-billed francolins were around but we also disturbed at least two birds who scattered quickly but had white supercillia. I immediately thought they must be crested francolin although they didnt look quite right. It was only subsequently that I discovered this was the main area to look for Hartlaub’s spurfowl which I had thought were only seen in more remote parts of the Plateau. So probably that’s what they were but I wondered if anyone had ever seen crested francolin in this area?

Sorry no photos these are all very poorly seen birds but I would welcome any comments on the questions I raise

Thanks Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back