• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most anticipated futures books (1 Viewer)

Australia gone wild: an anthology of the best nature stories from Australian Geographic.

This compendium brings together over 40 of the best stories spanning the natural world. Illustrated with hundreds of stunning Australian wildlife photographs, this beautiful book covers the stories of unique Australian animals such as Tasmanian tiger, Night parrot and Lord Howe Island phasmid.

https://www.andrewisles.com/pages/b...est-nature-stories-from-australian-geographic

Grasswrens: Australian outback identities.

Black, Andrew and Peter Gower.

Stepney: Axiom Publishing, 2017. Quarto, dustwrapper, colour photographs, maps.

Contains over 100 stunning photographs of all 11 species and 14 subspecies of Australian grasswren currently recognised. Provides a natural history of grasswrens in Australia followed by details of each species.

https://www.andrewisles.com/pages/b...ower/grasswrens-australian-outback-identities

Just seen that there will be a new guide for SE Asia and China south of the palearctic line by Norman Arlott.

It's due in early May in hardback and Kindle versions, but does not appear to include call/song or video in the e-version. I'll be very interested to see if it matches the standard of Mark Brazil's Birds of East Asia and Robson's birds of SE Asia.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birds-Sout...Y/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Cheers
Mike

I've had this for some time now, it's not bad and is currently, AFAIK, the first and still only book to illustrate Cambodian Tailorbird?

A

Last edited:
I've had this for sonme time now, it's not bad and is currently, AFAIK, the first and still only book to illustrate Cambodian Tailorbird?

A

HBW Illustrated Checklist Vol 2 has illustrations on page 431. So the HBW original volumes should have more info as well.

Last edited:
Joel Sartore will publish a new Photo Ark book

For avian enthusiasts, from armchair observers to dedicated life-listers, this brilliant book from acclaimed National Geographic photographer Joel Sartore celebrates the beauty of all birds, great and small. This elegantly packaged celebration of birds from around the world unites incredible animal portraits from Joel Sartore's distinguished National Geographic Photo Ark project with inspiring text by up-and-coming birder Noah Strycker. It includes hundreds of species, from tiny finches to charismatic eagles; brilliant toucans, intricate birds of paradise, and perennial favourites such as parrots, hummingbirds, and owls also make colourful appearances.

Birds of the Photo Ark (scheduled for April 2018)

https://www.nhbs.com/birds-of-the-photo-ark-book

Joel Sartore will publish a new Photo Ark book

For avian enthusiasts, from armchair observers to dedicated life-listers, this brilliant book from acclaimed National Geographic photographer Joel Sartore celebrates the beauty of all birds, great and small. This elegantly packaged celebration of birds from around the world unites incredible animal portraits from Joel Sartore's distinguished National Geographic Photo Ark project with inspiring text by up-and-coming birder Noah Strycker. It includes hundreds of species, from tiny finches to charismatic eagles; brilliant toucans, intricate birds of paradise, and perennial favourites such as parrots, hummingbirds, and owls also make colourful appearances.

Birds of the Photo Ark (scheduled for April 2018)

https://www.nhbs.com/birds-of-the-photo-ark-book

This would fall firmly in my least anticipated futures books list.

This would fall firmly in my least anticipated futures books list.

I have long ago stopped buying such photo books as they tend to be looked at just once (at best), but then they clog up bookshelf space for years or even decades. That is not to say that I do not think they contain great photos. But my day only has 24 hours!

To be honest, however good the quality, not sure many real birders would buy such a book, there are plenty of them.

Getting impatient for Mongolia and Japan now not to mention the latest HBM

A

Not one I'll be seeking out neither, though I'm sure some superb images in there.

Though it won't be ready until late next year I look forward to the Wild Guides ladybird guide with Lewington's masterful illustrations. It will be good to have the smaller species without established English names included as these rarely get coverage.

What do you think on the Photo Ark project in general?
High quality images, yes, but showing animals detached from their habitats in a sort of aseptic surrounding... Really doesn't appeal to me, and I think from the conservation point of view this is a shot on the foot (imo), as species can only survive as such if their habitats are preserved. And habitats are just totaly ignored in this concept. This looks and feels to me as a high quality photographic catalog for a zoo. In short (very short due to current lack of time) that's what I think of it.

Belonging on an Island: Birds, Extinction, and Evolution in Hawai`i

A lively, rich natural history of Hawaiian birds that challenges existing ideas about what constitutes biocultural nativeness and belonging

This natural history takes readers on a thousand-year journey as it explores the Hawaiian Islands' beautiful birds and a variety of topics including extinction, survival, conservationists and their work, and, most significantly, the concept of belonging. Author Daniel Lewis, an award-winning historian and globe-traveling amateur birder, builds this lively text around the stories of four species – the Stumbling Moa-Nalo, the Kaua'i 'O'o, the Palila, and the Japanese White-Eye.

Lewis offers innovative ways to think about what it means to be native and proposes new definitions that apply to people as well as to birds. Being native, he argues, is a relative state influenced by factors including the passage of time, charisma, scarcity, utility to others, short-term evolutionary processes, and changing relationships with other organisms. Belonging on an Island also describes how bird conservation started in Hawai'i and the naturalists and environmentalists who did extraordinary work.

Scheduled for May 2018

www.nhbs.com/belonging-on-an-island-book

Users who are viewing this thread

Back