• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pigeon feet (1 Viewer)

jape

i have several wood pigeon visiting. one has growths, inflammation and deformation of scales on feet and possibly around nostrils. difficulty walking.
plumage therefore less smooth and preened but seems fat enough.
is this recognised, just age or a disease or parasite?

surprised no-one has commented. this bird is back again, can hardly walk i am also concerned it may be something that may spread via feeder, perches etc. i could disinfect some areas but not much else one can do. at least he is getting some feed.

thanks, looks like a very bad case of that from pics on web. a virus that may spread. well i wash the bowls he stands on and poured boiling water over the rim of birdbath but thats all i can do i suppose. it spreads between species it seems.

Assuming that it is a Wood Pigeon and not a Feral Pigeon (Although I help all birds, some treat Feral Pigeons like they're not Birds but Rats) - just catch it and take it to a Vet. The Vet will not refuse to see it, and will treat it if possible. And if it's a Wood Pigeon, the Vet is unlikely to immediately suggest killing it. (It's doubtful you'll get any accurate replies without at least posting a pic of the bird.)

BTW, regardless that others might tell you a Vet won't help and/or will charge, I've done what I'm suggesting many times with different bird species and different vets, they've always helped and never charged for a wild creature. Vets take an oath to help Animals that are sick/suffering... although phoning first isn't a good idea, as it depends on the nurse or receptionist that answers the phone; just show up at the surgery with the bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back