• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve Warbler, Portugal (1 Viewer)

alanc

Just an earthbound misfit
England
This very light bird near Tavira last week. The head-on shot shows a broad bill which makes me lean towards Olivaceous but I would appreciate confirmation or correction. All pictures the same individual.
Thanks
alan

Attachments

• DSC_0238.JPG
    DSC_0238.JPG
    876.2 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC_0246a.jpg
    DSC_0246a.jpg
    459.1 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_0249.JPG
    DSC_0249.JPG
    703.1 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_0256.JPG
    DSC_0256.JPG
    731.9 KB · Views: 182
Although Western Olivaceous breeds within about 20kms of the Algarve in Spain its not recorded annually.

So - this is a great record - if it is one, which I think it is (I.opaca) - although the apparent yellowish wash visible on the 3rd photo throws me off a little the broad bill base clinches it I think. Now, if its a reiseri - seems highly unlikely but can't remember the difference.

Hastiness! - now I'm worried if the bill base is simply missing feathering - so Melodious?

Last edited:
I see one of those confusing Fall Melodious Warbler. Bill size looks fine to me, colour of lower mandible better for Melodious and yellow on throat and upper chest seems undeniable.

I agree with Melodious. Some juveniles are just like that. It can be confusing when you find one of them, but if that happens early enough in the season you might even be lucky enough to see the typically coloured parents feeding the paler offspring. I. opaca should not have any trace of yellow, and is clearly a rare (breeding) bird in Portugal which I've seen only 3 times before in nearly 25 years (of course in September anything can turn up anywhere).

A brown Melodious ? A young bird ?

The Melodious (adult or juvenile) is clearly a green bird. And at this time of year, a young bird is with a clean pattern with pale fringe on tertials...

So for me is certainly an Western Olivaceous warbler.

I don't think this bird is a juvenile, it looks much better for a worn adult bird to me. They do get brownish at the end of the summer due to heavy wear but most keep some yellow in face, throat, chest or breast sides. Strong sunshine helps make it look even browner.

Juveniles aren't 'green', they look mostly greyish-brown above with often just a faint yellowish hue to its face,throat and chest. In September they should look fresher plumaged than this bird afaik.

I agree on Melodious. And probably a worn adult rather than a juv (though I am not certain of that).

The harsh light has considerably affected the colour and the contrast, but the yellow hue to the underparts is there and the upperparts are more olive than brown, see edited pic. And since there is no green vegetation around, the yellow/olive tones must come from the plumage itself and not from reflection.
Besides the face pattern with completely pale lores is better for Melodious (WOW and EOW very often show a thin dark loral line that breaks the eye-ring). And structurally the relatively short tail fits Melodious; WOW has a slightly longer tail giving to the bird a more elongated shape.

Nice to see you on here Marc ;) .

Attachments

• DSC_0256.jpg
    DSC_0256.jpg
    756 KB · Views: 46
four more shots of the same bird - they may help confirmation.
alan

Attachments

• DSC_0229.JPG
    DSC_0229.JPG
    949.3 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_0230.JPG
    DSC_0230.JPG
    845.3 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0260.JPG
    DSC_0260.JPG
    600 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0261.JPG
    DSC_0261.JPG
    710.5 KB · Views: 41
3rd pic I believe shows some very worn tail feathers, adult like. Rest of pics also look a worn plumaged Melodious to me so yes, it's an adult.

Humbly I'd just like to add that WOW is one of my pet species (because they are a nice tricky and quite scarce warbler with a special habitat) and I see them quite a bit (in Spain). In the field it would quickly be one of those pale Melodious for me - that I see many of down here. I hate photos sometimes - I'd convinced myself that the yellow tones were artefacts - bad starting point!

Sorry if I've thrown some confusion into the discussion regarding the bird's age. When I mentioned having seen juvs as pale as that bird (one brood, once) wasn't saying I had analysed the plumage of the OP bird and had it aged as a juv. Actually from the views I had I didn't made my mind re age, but unfortunately got both ideas linked on my post. Looking now carefully at the photos for feather abrasion I struggle a bit to be conclusive, but if I had to make my mind I'd agree with you and I'd say an adult as well. GC seem a bit worn as well, but not the clearest shots for evaluating abrasion IMO.
Still regarding the juvs I mentioned, this was many years ago (perhaps 1992) and of course I don't have photos. Relying only on my memory (which has known better days) I don't think they were as pale (or lacking so much in yellow) as this one. Very interesting bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back