• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tawny pipit? Central Spain (1 Viewer)

fdokykcu

I saw today this bird I'm not familiar with at a wetland near Cuenca (Central Spain)
Sized about a robust pipit (smaller than song thrush), standing upright, flew a couple of times not showing distintive white in tail sides (at least I couldn't see it)
I think it could be Tawny Pipit, but I'm not sure.

Attachments

• FAG_01042018_90893.jpg
    FAG_01042018_90893.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 141
  • FAG_01042018_90892.jpg
    FAG_01042018_90892.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 97
I'd said it was bigger than a Water Pipit (I see some of these all winters)...but as someone pointed out some days ago we are very prone to misjudge size

Thanks to everyone!

As back up on the ID of Water Pipit, whenever i've seen Tawnies they've invariably been on fairly dry ground - even the vagrant i saw in soggy N Wales had found a patch of dry, weedy, kind of sandy/stony ground to run around on.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back