• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater or Lesser Scaup (1 Viewer)

sirijay

Took this photo in California. Cannot figure out whether its a greater or lesser.
Help with ID and the particulars about the ID are truly appreciated.

Attachments

• Scaup.jpg
    Scaup.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 101
I'll dare to be different, Lesser for me - almost no black on 'nail' at tip of smallish-looking bill, and coarse vermiculation on back. The colour of the head sheen is variable with angle of light, so isn't reliable with a single pic.

I'll dare to be different, Lesser for me - almost no black on 'nail' at tip of smallish-looking bill, and coarse vermiculation on back. The colour of the head sheen is variable with angle of light, so isn't reliable with a single pic.

No protrusion at the back of head that I can make out, head shape seems all wrong to me, sticking with Greater

A

Here is a second photo of the same bird (Scaup-B). Wonder whether this will help any more with ID. You can see the "nail" better and the sheen appears to be greenish. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Scaup-B.jpg
    Scaup-B.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 69
Absolutely a Greater for me – the second photo shows the nail broadening somewhat at the tip, rather than being a narrow rectangle as on a Lesser.

I sometimes find these N American Greaters confusingly similar to Lessers, in photos. I also found the vermiculations quite coarse, so i did a quick Google and apparently the N American ssp has coarser vermiculations, at least according to wikipedia. Think i read somewhere (i think here on BF) that that ssp is a bit smaller too, which might explain why this one looks a bit cutesy.

I sometimes find these N American Greaters confusingly similar to Lessers, in photos. I also found the vermiculations quite coarse, so i did a quick Google and apparently the N American ssp has coarser vermiculations, at least according to wikipedia. Think i read somewhere (i think here on BF) that that ssp is a bit smaller too, which might explain why this one looks a bit cutesy.

Useful to know, thanks! Here's a European subspecies Greater Scaup, note the much less 'contrasty' vermiculation (oh, and the purple head gloss, too 3:)) :t:

Attachments

• IMG_2526lo.jpg
    IMG_2526lo.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 33
I also found the vermiculations quite coarse, so i did a quick Google and apparently the N American ssp has coarser vermiculations, at least according to wikipedia.

Interesting. Has the North American ssp ever been identified in the UK? Surely it must occur?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back