Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Searching for Travel Tripods

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 18:24   #1
RioTuitoBirder
parrotstowarblers.weebly. com

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 33
Searching for Travel Tripods

I'm preparing to take a birding trip to Mexico and want to bring a lighter weight compact tripod but can't spend too much. Keeping it $200 if possible. I have a Nikon D5600 with a Nikon AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR Lens to support. Not too high end but decent quality. If anybody has any tips on a decent tripod and best place to purchase (from USA) I'd appreciate them. I'm only 5'6" so doesn't have to be too tall.
RioTuitoBirder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 13th February 2018, 18:27   #2
jimx200
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: California
Posts: 5
Hi,
I love my light, well made, compact, and inexpensive Revelli APLT4 and use it on my bridge cams, Nikon D300S and D3400, and others. Its lightweight and solid and outstanding value.

https://www.amazon.com/Ravelli-APLT4...ravelli+tripod

Also available on eBay and other places.

Btw, I have the Nikon 70-300 P lens and it's just outstanding.
jimx200 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 14th February 2018, 17:51   #3
Dave B Smith
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: N.E. Florida, USA
Posts: 7,178
I bought the MeFOTO GlobeTrotter Aluminum Travel Tripod Kit (Black)
for about $250 and use this for travel but also on local outings (rather than my larger Manfrotto).
It comes with a ball head but I use a small fluid head. Also use it for photography with a full size dslr with a 200 to 500 Nikon zoom lens with good results.

I like this tripod as it closes to fit in most carry-ons making it much more convenient for travel.
__________________
Dave Smith
Dave B Smith is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 16th February 2018, 00:16   #4
rka
ttbirds
 
rka's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Trinidad and Tobago, West Indies
Posts: 1,166
You could also take a look at the Manfrotto Befree Live that comes with a decent small fluid head. It sells for around US$225 (BhPhoto) and wouldnt go beyond 6lbs on it even though it is rated for 8.8lbs. Portability and quality are good, but the legs are a bit on the spindly side.



Quote:
Originally Posted by RioTuitoBirder View Post
I'm preparing to take a birding trip to Mexico and want to bring a lighter weight compact tripod but can't spend too much. Keeping it $200 if possible. I have a Nikon D5600 with a Nikon AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR Lens to support. Not too high end but decent quality. If anybody has any tips on a decent tripod and best place to purchase (from USA) I'd appreciate them. I'm only 5'6" so doesn't have to be too tall.
__________________
rka
rka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 16th February 2018, 10:31   #5
etudiant
Registered User
BF Supporter 2018

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 4,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B Smith View Post
I bought the MeFOTO GlobeTrotter Aluminum Travel Tripod Kit (Black)
for about $250 and use this for travel but also on local outings (rather than my larger Manfrotto).
It comes with a ball head but I use a small fluid head. Also use it for photography with a full size dslr with a 200 to 500 Nikon zoom lens with good results.

I like this tripod as it closes to fit in most carry-ons making it much more convenient for travel.
Hi David,
Which fluid head did you decide to get?
What made you pick that one?
etudiant is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 16th February 2018, 14:15   #6
Dave B Smith
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: N.E. Florida, USA
Posts: 7,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Hi David,
Which fluid head did you decide to get?
What made you pick that one?
Etudiant,
I already had a tripod head but was using it on my large tripod. It also works well with this travel tripod. It is:
Manfrotto 128RC Micro Fluid Head with Quick Release - Supports 8.9lbs
__________________
Dave Smith
Dave B Smith is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 17th February 2018, 00:07   #7
etudiant
Registered User
BF Supporter 2018

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 4,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B Smith View Post
Etudiant,
I already had a tripod head but was using it on my large tripod. It also works well with this travel tripod. It is:
Manfrotto 128RC Micro Fluid Head with Quick Release - Supports 8.9lbs
Thank you for the quick response, that head appears to be a good and very versatile option.
Does it accept arca style QR plates?
etudiant is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 24th February 2018, 13:49   #8
Dave B Smith
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: N.E. Florida, USA
Posts: 7,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Thank you for the quick response, that head appears to be a good and very versatile option.
Does it accept arca style QR plates?
Etudiant,
Not without an adaptor similar to this one:

Haoge Quick Release QR Clamp Adapter Convertor for Manfrotto RC2 System to Arca-Swiss Compatible $24.99
__________________
Dave Smith
Dave B Smith is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 24th February 2018, 17:19   #9
etudiant
Registered User
BF Supporter 2018

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 4,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B Smith View Post
Etudiant,
Not without an adaptor similar to this one:

Haoge Quick Release QR Clamp Adapter Convertor for Manfrotto RC2 System to Arca-Swiss Compatible $24.99
Thank you, that is very helpful even if not quite what I had hoped to hear.

Meanwhile found a small, light and very inexpensive pan head: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
which appears arca compatible. I've not yet traveled with it, but it should be adequate for casual scoping.
I'll report back once it has had some service.
etudiant is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 24th February 2018, 23:26   #10
Oldnintheway
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Washington State
Posts: 69
I'm happy with my Siriu N104KX + Sirui K20X ball head. About $250. together so a little above what you want. It holds my D7200+Tamron 150-600 just fine
Oldnintheway is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Searching for images adamsmyth477 Information Wanted 2 Sunday 3rd August 2014 14:39
Searching for a butterfly! mhf Say Hello 9 Wednesday 30th September 2009 07:25
Searching for owls lemieuxj Birds Of Prey 6 Thursday 5th August 2004 03:06
Searching for identification Carol Foreman Say Hello 3 Thursday 17th June 2004 19:23
Searching? Andrew Computers, Birding Software And The Internet 7 Saturday 8th February 2003 14:13

{googleads}
Opticron - NEW DBA VHD+ 8x42, 10x42. Prices from £579

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.15191102 seconds with 22 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:43.