Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Newbie here.. But an OLD newbie

Old Friday 16th February 2018, 11:36   #26
ialarmedalien

I've got the Panasonic FZ330 (aka FZ300), which offers 25-600mm (24x zoom) at f/2.8. If I'm taking bird photos, I put it in drive mode and snap off several shots at once to mitigate the effects of camera shake. I tried out a number of cameras, including the FZ2500, which I found too large to be comfortable. The FZ330 is just about perfect for me in terms of size, features, and complexity. There are also teleconversion lenses (of varying quality) that you can get for it to increase the reach even further, which makes it handy for identifying distant birds, or working out whether that blob is a bird or a molehill/hare/bin bag/chimney/etc. The moveable touchscreen is very useful, especially if you've got the camera on a tripod and want to quickly move the focus area, etc.

On the down side, it gets noisy quickly in low light, and trying to photograph distant hen harriers coming in to roost, hand-held, just before sunset was not a successful venture. :\

I found it very useful to go into a camera shop and try out the various models I was interested in, having read up on them beforehand. Even though I was limited to viewing images on the camera's built-in screen, I could assess the image stabilisation, zoom, drive mode, low/artificial light performance, and ergonomics. There are plenty of examples online of the best that all these cameras can achieve, but that doesn't mean much if the camera is too heavy to hold comfortably or you struggle to see the screen or you need to use a tripod to get decent images.
Old Tuesday 20th February 2018, 21:58   #27
CalvinFold
BF Supporter 2018

You can check my gallery for what the SX60 can do.

Granted, I use them predominantly online showing people on an iDevice, not printed-out.

I shoot relying heavily on ETTL to avoid blowing-out the highlights badly, and making-up for it in post-processing in Photoshop with some Topaz Labs plugins. So my "straight-off-the-camera" shots are just "meh" because I shoot with post-processing in mind.

I do not have the liberty of "getting closer" due to the restrictions of the nature areas available to me, so "range is everything" on most days out.

I hand-hold 99% of the time, even at max optical zoom and digital teledapter distances. I have captured BiF at long ranges (out past 80m). Biggest drawback is the slow zoom speeds and slow first shot...means I get too much "bird butt" a good chunk of the time.

Last edited by CalvinFold : Tuesday 20th February 2018 at 22:01.

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 31st March 2018, 09:32   #28
heavenly snapper
I flew that Eagle for 32 years

Finally decided

So I ended up getting the Nikon B700, now all I gotta do is learn how to operate it optimally! So sidebar, how the heck do I add an avatar to my profile anyways? I looked everywhere and can't find it and I do believe I meet all the requirements now. I feel naked without one
Old Saturday 31st March 2018, 13:47   #29
nikonmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenly snapper View Post
So I ended up getting the Nikon B700, now all I gotta do is learn how to operate it optimally! So sidebar, how the heck do I add an avatar to my profile anyways? I looked everywhere and can't find it and I do believe I meet all the requirements now. I feel naked without one
Hope you enjoy the camera.

If you look top right of the page above private message you should see user profile, click that i think.
Old Sunday 1st April 2018, 09:55   #30
heavenly snapper
I flew that Eagle for 32 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonmike View Post
Hope you enjoy the camera.

If you look top right of the page above private message you should see user profile, click that i think.
Thanks Mike! Funny thing is, I clicked on that several times before but the link for avatar and sig line were MIA... I post the question and ba da boom, ba da bing... there they are now! Hahaha Now all I gotta do is choose a photo to shrink down real tiny
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: