Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Photo agencies

Old Tuesday 3rd April 2018, 11:17   #1
Jhanlon

Photo agencies

I was wondering if anyone on here has experience of making their images available to agencies? Although I am very much an 'amateur snapper' with more than my fair share of 'record shots' my personal photo library now has several thousand images of UK and foreign birds of hundreds of species. Many have been published in magazines, but relatively few in books and I'd like to make my better images more available.

Which are the best agencies to use? Is it possible to use several agencies as long as you don't submit the same image to more than one? How do the royalties work and is there anything to be aware of that might breach agreements (like images promised to agency being historically posted on the web/ social media etc)? Does anyone ever make much money from it? (I doubt they do, apart from the best of the best perhaps!)

thanks in advance

James
Old Friday 6th April 2018, 15:06   #2
Jhanlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhanlon View Post
I was wondering if anyone on here has experience of making their images available to agencies? Although I am very much an 'amateur snapper' with more than my fair share of 'record shots' my personal photo library now has several thousand images of UK and foreign birds of hundreds of species. Many have been published in magazines, but relatively few in books and I'd like to make my better images more available.

Which are the best agencies to use? Is it possible to use several agencies as long as you don't submit the same image to more than one? How do the royalties work and is there anything to be aware of that might breach agreements (like images promised to agency being historically posted on the web/ social media etc)? Does anyone ever make much money from it? (I doubt they do, apart from the best of the best perhaps!)

thanks in advance

James
BUMP - nobody??
Old Sunday 8th April 2018, 06:27   #3
HermitIbis

Perhaps a better place to ask this question would be the dpreview site. There you find threads like this one where various agencies and success rates are discussed. Or search in their "Pro Forum" for the key word "agencies".
As a journalist I've been interested in the topic, and magazine articles or online threads usually stress that "wildlife" or "birds" is the worst field to specialize on as a photog if you want to generate an income. That said, it would be great if a birdforum member could prove me wrong.
Old Monday 9th April 2018, 14:08   #4
Jhanlon

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitIbis View Post
Perhaps a better place to ask this question would be the dpreview site. There you find threads like this one where various agencies and success rates are discussed. Or search in their "Pro Forum" for the key word "agencies".
As a journalist I've been interested in the topic, and magazine articles or online threads usually stress that "wildlife" or "birds" is the worst field to specialize on as a photog if you want to generate an income. That said, it would be great if a birdforum member could prove me wrong.
Thanks for that, will have a look on there.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: