• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stranded Whales (1 Viewer)

Colin

Axeman (Retired)
England
I read an email today at work which detailed the stranding of several whales of different species on beaches on different islands off North West Africa and the entrance to the Mediterranean. These happenings seem to be coinciding with a VERY big military exercise (NATO) going on in the same sea area. Several strandings have been live and the animals have been 'relaunched' so to speak and appear to have been saved. Many others have died and post mortems are going on. Scientists are also searching the area for other dead whales which have not reached land in the hope of getting further data. The initial thinking is that the balance/hearing organs are being damaged by the exercise whatever that may mean. My guess ranges from lots of very heavy and powerful engine vibrations to shells and bombs exploding in the sea. I don't know and maybe at the moment no one does. It may be worth keeping an eye on the internet and the press for further developments. I'm sure there will be some.

Colin

when you think how far whale song travels under water, and how sensitive their 'hearing' must be,intrusions like these must have some detrimental effect on the whales ( and possibly other species )

Stranded whales put to death in USA

Thanks so much for that link Dylan, I had no idea all this was going on. I can't stand it - 60 whales dead, poor, poor things such distress and it must have been so awful for all those volunteers that tried so hard to save them.........

El Annie :-C

as soon as I read theis thread I knew I'd seen something like this recently and dug out the link.
The thing I don't understand is that they've been given the go ahead to try it out for 5 years!
Dylan.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back