• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California, Sharp-shinned vs Cooper's Hawks (1 Viewer)

ekopa

Hello!

Classical pair. Please help confirm the identification. If I am not right, please explain why. All are from California in October
1-2 Sharp-Shinned Hawk. Santa Fe Dam in LA
3. Copper Hawk? Mission Creek Preserve
4. Sharp-shinned Hawk? Mission Creek Preserve

Thank you!

Attachments

• 1E6A8669.JPG
    1E6A8669.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 1E6A8766.JPG
    1E6A8766.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 1E6A9405.JPG
    1E6A9405.JPG
    485.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 1E6A9439.JPG
    1E6A9439.JPG
    577.3 KB · Views: 64
This is what I came up with.

1 Sharp-shinned Hawk
2 Cooper's Hawk
3 Cooper's Hawk
4 Sharp-shinned Hawk

The attached picture shows the differences in flight which is what I used to determine 2&3 as Cooper's Hawks. The Sharp-shinned Hawk in flight has a sharp forward bend in the wrists and it looks like the head barely comes past the wings. The Cooper's Hawk in flight has more straight wings.

See the link to tell how I determined pictures 1&4.
https://feederwatch.org/learn/tricky-bird-ids/coopers-hawk-and-sharp-shinned-hawk/

Cooper's vs Sharp-shinned Hawk ID.jpg

Pictures 2 and 3 are definitely Cooper's Hawks. Look at the wrist bend of the Sharp-shinned and the short neck of the Sharp-shinned on the attached picture and then tell me why pics 2 and 3 are Sharp-shinned and not Cooper's.

View attachment 717625

Picture 2 has the heavy, splotchy breast streaking of an immature Sharp-shinned, not the lighter, more clearly-defined teardrop-shaped streaks of a Cooper's. In Picture 3, the tail feathers are all clearly the same length. They're all Sharp-shinned Hawks. The picture you're referring to is heavily exaggerating the difference in flight style; Sharp-shinned Hawks do fly with their wings forward when compared to a Cooper's Hawk, but they don't always show that sharp bend at the wrist.

Last edited:
I see 1-3 as Sharp-shinned, but I think #4 is an adult Cooper's. We can't see much of the tail, but this bird's head looks quite large and blocky to me.

Let me try to muddle things a bit more. To me #1 & #2 look like Sharpies - the breast pattern is clear. #3 I see as more likely a Cooper's - the breast streaks are thinner, the projection of the head in front of the wings could fit either but is better for Coop, the tail is so worn I think it is unreliable as an indicator. #4 I make out to be a Coop as birdmeister suggests - hard to be sure, but from what we can see of the tail the feathers look graduated.

I see 1-3 as Sharp-shinned, but I think #4 is an adult Cooper's. We can't see much of the tail, but this bird's head looks quite large and blocky to me.

I agree with birdmeister that #4 is probably a Cooper's. #3 is a clear Sharpie with that small, rounded head with bug-eyed appearance, steep forehead, and small beak. Shape is good as well as the streaking.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back