• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2020 (2 Viewers)

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE 9-19TH MARCH-26TH MARCH 2005
COOK'S TOUR
As the title suggests yet another obsolete fleet this time, as we went to BHX to get our flight with Thomas Cook Airline on a pretty early Easter this year- we checked in behind a family of 12 which must take some organising and a lot of money for them all to go on holiday together. At the hotel an argument ensued as we got two rooms on the 8th floor again- but this time Grandad pulled rank and insisted on the room with the double balcony, whilst we overlooked the pool.
On the Sunday we missed church this year due to getting the boys ready and proceeded slowly along the front- popping round to the side of La Gola to tick Water Pipit and White Wagtail, and after lunch at the Joker going up to the foot of the Boquer , benefiting from the early date with a Mallorca tick in the form of a small flock of Siskins at the Pine avenue. An evening Scops search was unproductive but the Stone Curlews round the Llenaire roundabout were in good voice.
Monday was a local day with a nice surprise to begin with as a Turnstone was on the rocks offshore from the hotel, 2 Starlings in the grounds,and eventually the Balearic Warblers showed at the end of the Boquer. Winter visitors like Robin, Song Thrush, Meadow Pipit and Black Redstart were still about in some numbers- a bonus of an early Easter but summer migrants are scarcer.
Tuesday was a beach day but i still managed to pop away for a brief look at the Boquer foot, and I called in at La Gola on the way back. Only Grey heron and Firecrest were new for the listbut i did note that i met a bird photographer- still a rarity then and in small numbers in hides! In the evening we went to Richard Strutt's presentation for his walks, and actually booked a trip on Good Friday which happened to be Susan's birthday.
We had learned to go to Albufera on the right day to avoid Alcudia market, so on Wednesday it was all aboard the bus. The boys now aged 6 and 4 both wanted to be in the new pushchair for the long walk to the visitor centre, where the new toilets were duly christened. Unfortunately a major issue became apparent as mt scope and eyepiece were terminally separated, but at Albufera there are always other scopes to borrow. The waders were reasonable, but the only Mallorca tick came from a small flock of Lapwing. The evening Scops hunts had all drawn a blank, which was worrying- were we too early this year?
Thursday was the start of the Easter period,and we went locally on the bus to Pollensa, to repeat the climb up the Calvari- again with Firecrests and Crossbills in the area.
Friday was our new venture- a day walk of 9 Km with Richard Strutt in the Lluc area called the Karst Valley Circuit. The only new bird for the trip list was Blue Tit- at a high elevation (see later discussion) but the walk was fun and the scenery interesting with limestone formations all over the place. In the evening i actually heard a Scops call but it seemed quite distant.
Saturday 26th we were mainly on the beach at the pine walk, and not much happened except that we had heard that a Red-breasted Merganser was around, and i eventually picked it up over towards the seaplane base- the only sighting in all 17 springs. By now i had acquired the mothing habit at home,and I actually managed to identify a Double-striped pug under a light in the Hotel car park- and looking for moths eased the boredom af a Scopsless night....

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE 10- 27TH MARCH-2ND APRIL 2005
CAVING IN CAMPANET
Sunday am we managed church and afterwards I made a quick visit to the Boquer foot and a male Common Redstart was an excellent sign that summer migrants were beginning to filter through. The afternoon was spent on the beach, and in the evening a hunt for the Scops Owls at last connected with brief views near the Guardia Civil.
Monday was car pick up day and yet again there were problems as the 2 child seats for our Touran had not materialised- so the lady took us back to the garage in PP centre only to find there was just one left. Timothy is quite tall so we just about survived over the next 3 days. By now a routine had developed for our first car day and it meant Depuradora- Arta- Capdepera- st the last of which both species of Shearwater were highly visible. In the evening I had arranged to show the Scops to some other birders- but I saw them before the crowd developed, and then they went quiet and did not show- cue embarrassment- although in my defence my record as a guide to Scops Owls in PP is not too shabby.
On Tuesday we became tourists again and visited the caves at Campanet, which are well worth visiting- and the enthusiastic multi-lingual guide was very good. It was a bit more up-market than the caves at Ingleborough in Yorkshire that I was used to visiting with my A level Geography groups. (Did anyone else reading this ever go there and get taken round by an ex-caver with a wooden leg?) We drove back along the Cami Vell and had lunch in a small wood with a pair of Cirl Buntings for company. That night a Scops was found in a different area at Gommar- the bit near the posh houses built up on the hillside inland from PP.
Wednesday 30th was my birthday so after cards from the family it was off up to Cuber, where the Black Vultures showed well, and then into Soller for the return tram ride to the Port. Grandad somehow managed to fall backwards over a low wall in the car park, but fortunately the only injury was to his pride. Filling up the car with diesel before returning it cost 22 Euros- not bad for 3 days of driving.
Thursday was Albufera day for me on my own, so braving the market crowds on the bus i arrived early to find some Alpine Swifts showing well above the entrance track, and a Subalpine Warbler in tamarisks near the visitor centre. I then walked all the way down the Ses Puntes track to the Depuradora (which was permitted then) and out along a track through the Salinetes to the main road about halfway to Can Picafort. Back on the bus and in the evening no Scops were showing and it was a bit cold so I invested in some time at a new venture called an Internet Cafe near Rosa's supermarket.
Friday was the last full day and packing and shopping were foremost in the ladies minds (if not in mine) and nothing significant was seen, allowing an early start on Saturday to get us back to BHX and home.

It’s all gone a bit quiet now. I can hear Nightingales singing from my balcony and a few Spotted flycatchers have been seen.
Raptor movements have slowed but two Egyptian vultures were seen by Peter in Gotmar heading towards the Bóquer valley.
We need a storm to liven things up again, these clear calm days are less productive but I will post all sightings as and when.
Mike

Thanks Mike, Hugh, and all contributers for providing great reading material during our lockdown.
I posted some of my photos from earlier this year.
Cannot wait to return.
Keep Safe, Well and Sane.
Summer is coming.
Mike

Attachments

• E952BFFC-FBBA-4F54-802A-9ECC84CF1696.jpeg
    E952BFFC-FBBA-4F54-802A-9ECC84CF1696.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 6EEB97E2-3AD5-48EC-834A-EC6AD9C75118.jpeg
    6EEB97E2-3AD5-48EC-834A-EC6AD9C75118.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 0D04278A-3BD9-46EF-81E5-88EA4441C04B.jpeg
    0D04278A-3BD9-46EF-81E5-88EA4441C04B.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 98A98A8E-4A4F-4626-86A2-8412C358FAB4.jpeg
    98A98A8E-4A4F-4626-86A2-8412C358FAB4.jpeg
    391.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 3AB3E9F9-25B4-4853-9B0A-66602E4E6748.jpeg
    3AB3E9F9-25B4-4853-9B0A-66602E4E6748.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 43
SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE 11- 1ST-8TH APRIL 2006
STRUTTING UP THAT HILL
Back to Birmingham and Thomas Cook Airline for an early flight this year= leaving at 0730, which got us to the hotel at 1245 and gave a good afternoon to settle in, this time on the 7th floor but no family room.The Scops were silent at night, however.
Sunday ritual; was now well established- church followed by a stroll up the Boquer then lunch at the Joker and beach for the afternoon.Booted Eagles were doing their dramatic display at the Boquer but there was nothing unusual about. Scops calls that evening were distant- somewhere near he Duva apartments. (I got to know the back streets very well in my nighttime perambulations around PP)
Back to the Boquer on Monday,and a brief spell of raptor movement with a few Marsh Harriers through and a b couple of Ospreys about. The Scops were even further away that night, and it looked to be a big task to track down exactly where they were. Tuesday followed the same routes, except for a stroll down to the Llenaire road at night but Scops hunt drew a blank in that area.
Wednesday was Albufera day, but with the family it was not all birding. he waders were numerous but apart from a couple of ruffy Ruffs they were standard fare. The evening brought Scops calls much nearer at the Uyal hotel, but no visual contact was made. On Thursday we went on the bus a couple of stops down to the Hostal Posada Verano which was then a flourishing establishment, unlike later years when it was a vandalised shell. The attraction was the Albuferata, and we spent a cool couple of hours on the mound. Unfortunately the mosquitoes still bite even in the cold.
Friday was big climb day- off in the coach with Richard Strutt to the Orient valley, and then a steady climb up to the Castell d'Alaro and the hilltop at 830m. Bonus birds here were a couple of Alpine Swifts on passage around the top, where we could look down on Ravens and Peregrines. My wife and i were always very proud to say to our boys "We've been to the top of there" whenever we passed the spot on the motorway in future years. A thunderstorm on the return coach journey was the only rain of that holiday.
On Saturday the boys insisted we hired one of those boneshaker bikes for 4 people from the hotel, and I wished we hadn't as they can easily cause problems for backs. We did manage a brief tour of the flat parts of the neighborhood. In the evening at last a sighting of a Scops- but miles from their normal area- this time in a huge cedar tree on the Llenaire Road- one called for some time, and then flew out over my head.....

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS-EPISODE 12-8TH-15TH APRIL 2006
CARDS ONLY
Sunday 9th was to our now usual pattern, but this time i got to the end of the Boquer and the Balearic Warblers did deign to show themselves for a brief time. Back to the Llenaire Road to try again for the Scops, but there were no sightings or calls.
Monday was car pick-up day, and this time the lady decided we could now only pay by card, unlike past years when she had insisted on cash. Fortunately I had brought my card with me and she in turn handed over a brand new Zafira. As was usual two of my passengers felt sick the moment we set off, so we had to have stops for air and walks around at various places. Fortunately the local farmacia recommended an excellent tablet which seemed to solve the problem on future days. The tour went via Petra, which had become a favourite place for hot chocolate, Salobrar de Campos where the flamingoes showed well and there were 2 Collared Pratincoles and a nice range of waders, and eventually Cala Figuera which is a fascinating and beautiful place with the added attraction of offshore Shearwaters.
By Tuesday the weather had turned quite cold and the mountains reduced the temperature even further as we went via a very breezy Cuber and Fornalutx to the Alfabia Gardens at the southern end of the Soller tunnel. This is a great place that we all enjoyed , and it had some good birds soaring above round the crest of the mountain ridge to the north.
Wednesday and we went south again to get warm, via Felanitx to the Castell de Santueri where the only breeding Alpine Swifts on the island were present in reasonable numbers.
Unfortunately at this point my diary notebook was full, so i can only work out the itinerary from my bird notes, but certainly on Thursday I was at Albufera on my own with Glossy Ibis and Common Tern (just starting to become a regular summer visitor) around and Nightingales serenading the visitors.
Friday was of course my favourite (not) day of shopping and packing, followed by a pleasant enough final flight back to Brum. This was in fact the lowest tally for 2 weeks in Mallorca of all our stays, with only 92 species seen and 5 heard, but although it was sunny it was pretty cold with North winds on many days which may have inhibited migration.

Yet again, birds and birding have helped me through difficult times. Being confined to my apartment and not even able to go out for a walk, would have been near impossible to tolerate without birding.
My heart has always been outdoors and staying in is not something I ever do out of choice. Since living in Mallorca I have been birding nearly every day. One great advantage of having such an absorbing hobby is that it can be done almost anywhere. Members of my English speaking group here will testify that it’s hard to have a conversation with me and expect my full attention, I always have one eye on the sky.
Even in central London when I was at college, I managed 27 species from the window. Once during a tutorial, I leapt out of the chair and announced that a male Sparrowhawk was drifting by. I agreed with my tutor that I had better sit with my back to the window when seeing patients which I did from that day on.
I also bunked off college a few times to go and see rarities. I travelled to Uxbridge to see a Ring-billed Gull and even managed a Naumann’s Thrush somewhere in Essex. There were others too.
Every day since Lockdown, I have been out on the balcony from first light and what an education it has been. I never realised just how many species could be seen from my home. I am currently on 51 species which isn’t bad.
Migration is under way which helps considerably. Marsh harriers have been moving north and Alpine swifts have been arriving in very good numbers.
Luckily I can see the sea and every morning and evening both Balearic and Scopoli’s shearwaters have been moving up and down the coast.
I am linked up with many locals via mobile messaging and again it has been a fascinating learning experience for us all.
I am not on a main migration route but when the winds are in the right direction it has been very good indeed. The obvious highlight was a very unexpected rarity. A Great Spotted Cuckoo flew right past my balcony very close. I knew what it was immediately having bunked off work to see one some years ago. I still can’t believe my luck as I’m sure I wouldn’t have seen it without Lockdown.
Common Swift swirl around our complex every evening and House Martins breed nearby. For some reason Porto Petro is a good place for Hobby. They seem to enter the Island from the nearby coast and they also leave Mallorca from here in the autumn. I have seen good numbers of Heron, both Grey and Purple, and some Stork species were seen in the distance. Local Booted eagles, Peregrine and Red kites adorn the sky most days and Stone curlews and Scops owls can be heard nearly every night. We even have a local Barn owl which I often see floating silently past the bedroom window.
So that’s it! How lucky I feel to live in such a great place and to continue enjoying my passion for birds. Good job I’m not a golfer, I would be pretty miserable.
As it stands, I can go on birding. As I have often said, You can’t keep a birder down.
Keep safe and let’s hope our freedom will be reinstated shortly.
Mike

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE 13- 31ST MARCH-7TH APRIL 2007
SICK OF FLYING
A short taxi ride this time to Luton, and amazingly an airline that is still with us as we flew with EasyJet for the first time. The stricter security measures for flights were now in place and shoes and belts had to go through the scanner. The flight was great until we landed and Timothy was sick over me on landing. No arguments this time as we had 2 family rooms looking out over the bay. abrief walk to the La Gola area that night was Scops free.
Timothy was still ill on the Sunday, so we did not get to church, but slowly perambulated along the seafrontto the playground by the Guardia Civil, and then along to the Joker for lunch and afternoon on the beach, whilst i slipped off for a brief look at the Boquer which was rather quiet, but it was nice to see the Booted eagles, Crag Martins and BRThrushes again.
On the Monday we took the bus to the Posada Verano and walked into Albufereta, and a Mallorca tick transpired as a flock of about 20 Skylarks moved north- the only ones I have ever seen on Mallorca. Flamingos and a Whiskered Tern were nice to see, and a GCGrebe- the only one I have seen away from Albufera or Maristany. It started to rain at lunchtime so we retreated to the hotel, and it was raining steadily later so there was no Scops search.
Tuesday was restricted by illness still, so not much birding except a short trip to Postage Stamp Wood, where Hoopoes and some smaller birds kept me interested. Wednesday was family day at Albufera, but the rain had left the water levels quite high. Tufted Duck was the only rarer duck around, and wader watching was hindered by Bishop 1 being closed for creosoting! A flock of 60 Stone Curlews at Bishop 2 was nice, though. A massive thunderstorm curtailed activities and we were wet through by the time the bus arrived to get us back to PP.
Thursday was very limited for birding as the family needed my attention, and no new species were seen. I managed a solo trip to Albufera on the Friday, with much better weather, and Bishop 1 back open. A Little Bittern in flight was nice,as was a Mallorca tick in the form of the only Golden Plover I have ever seen on the island. Going back for the bus a look out into the bay revealed some Scopoli's not very far out.
The Saturday was our day to explore the Boquer, and a Woodchat on the way at La Gola was nice, as were great views of Cirl Buntings by the pines. At the far end I met a German father and son who wanted to photograph Balearic Warblers- so I found a pair for them and they took some stunning pictures which they kindly e-mailed to me when they got back home........

After a number of very quiet days here, the rain shower this morning finally brought some new birds in. A Willow Warbler was new in the garden, while a pair of Woodchat Shrikes have been noisily advertising their presence every day.

Immediately after the show, the skies became busy, with a large flock of four species of hirundine feeding (including my first Sand Martins of the lockdown). This time last year I saw several Red-rumped Swallows nearby, but no luck today. Shortly later, lots of Swifts started to pass through, including at least two Pallid Swifts (a garden first for me!). Sadly no Alpine yet, I’m jealous of you getting them regularly Mike��

Suddenly a Hobby appeared, in pursuit of the Swifts, my first this year and one of my favourite birds.

Other birds seen today included Red Kite, at least eight different Booted Eagles, a single Bonelli’s Eagle and at least two Peregrine Falcons. Earlier this week I had a fantastic view of a Blue Rock Thrush that landed on our terrace.

What a fantastic day! I feel like I can’t take my eyes away from the sky right now. Three additions today bring the lockdown list to 46!

A fantastic morning before the rain forced me indoors!

Lots of Vultures over today, including my first (seven) Griffon Vultures of the lockdown, and 42 sightings of Black Vultures (I'm not sure how much of this was double counting, the maximum count at any one time 17 but all birds were heading north). Also two Black Kites, two Red Kites and a Booted Eagle.

Even more exciting were the Swifts, hundreds went over including several more Pallid and (finally!) my first three Alpine Swifts for the garden!

Lots more hirundines, of the four common species, mating Hoopoes and fantastic views of the Woodchat Shrikes were fantastic.

More unusually, I spotted what was either a Cormorant or a Shag about 4km away over the sea (either would have been a garden tick!) and a Phylloscopus warbler, either Wood or Willow, went over at quite some distance above the house.

The Spring birds are bringing me so much joy, and the lockdown list is now at 48.

Attachments

• black kite2.jpg
    black kite2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 62
  • blackvulture3.jpg
    blackvulture3.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 51
  • griffon2.jpg
    griffon2.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 48
  • griffon3.jpg
    griffon3.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 50
Another garden first this afternoon, Common Buzzard! Where are these birds believed to be migrating to and from?

Attachments

• 5320CCF1-47B3-4E3E-B368-899DB7D41A19.jpeg
    5320CCF1-47B3-4E3E-B368-899DB7D41A19.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 57
Another garden first this afternoon, Common Buzzard! Where are these birds believed to be migrating to and from?

Every season several Common buzzard cross Majorca migrating from Africa tu north Europe, some springs more, some less.
Anyway now it is difficult to know if some common buzzard are migrants or not (except if you are in Formentor o Cap Salines) and see them going to the sea.
There is a pair breeding near es Capdellà, maybe 2 kms away, so it is not possible to know if it was local or migrant.

Crikey, you seem to be having a very good time recently timsg80.
Some fabulous birds there and your Red-breasted flycatcher is very rare.
A few pairs of Common Buzzard breed in Mallorca and there are migrants too but seeing one is never a common occurrence.
Black Kite come through, sometimes in good numbers, but no high counts have yet been made this year so far.
The vultures wander around the Island a bit but they are always a great sight. I love seeing them anytime, what magnificent creatures they are.
Mike

Thanks Josep and Mike! I didn't know that there are several pairs of Common Buzzards breeding here, nor that there was cross-Mediterranean migration of them away from the Steppe Buzzards of Eastern Europe. It's really interesting to hear that there's a pair known to nest nearby, I'll be keeping an eye out for further sightings of them!

It has certainly been a fantastic spring here so far, it's the first time I've been here for a decent length of time at this time of year and what a special time it is on the island.

I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! Thank goodness we have birds to bring us joy at such a difficult time.

Can anyone help with this snake species?
It was sent by a friend who lives in Ses a Salines and she hates snakes!
She was told it was a Montpelier but I’m not sure that it is.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Also, would she be allowed to have it relocated?
Thanks
Mike

Attachments

• 2E0B2F71-761D-4B8E-BF0A-F78EEB11488D.jpeg
    2E0B2F71-761D-4B8E-BF0A-F78EEB11488D.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 68
Can anyone help with this snake species?
It was sent by a friend who lives in Ses a Salines and she hates snakes!
She was told it was a Montpelier but I’m not sure that it is.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Also, would she be allowed to have it relocated?
Thanks
Mike

I would say Viperine Snake, but I’m certainly not a snake expert!

It’s been another great day here with lots of birds moving overhead again. Just one vulture today, a single Black that passed headed high northwards, along with at least 8 Booted Eagles, several Red Kites, a Bonelli’s Eagle and a Peregrine Falcon. Lots more Common Swifts through along with one Alpine.

A Mediterranean Flycatcher in the garden was my first of the year, but the undoubted highlight was a Golden Oriole that flew low over my head before briefly perching in the garden, a first for me in Mallorca!

Last night I also found a North African Hedgehog, which appear to be surprisingly numerous here despite a huge number of stray cats.

Thanks timsg80 (it would be better to know your first name!)
Thanks for that and to Mike Swiss as well who said viperine too.
She will be relieved to know that it’s completely harmless, except to her nervous system.
You really are seeing some cracking birds, you must be on a better migration route than me, I have only had one good day here for migrating raptors when there were strong easterlies.
I have only seen one Marsh Harrier today and I don’t think it was a migrant. It was hunting low over a nearby field and I’m not sure that many raptors feed whilst on migration. I had better look into that.
Mike

Hi! Some nice migrants seen today and yesterday in s'Albufera, some of them from the window of my office. I'm very lucky to work there these days!
Yesterday Golden Oriole (male singing), Sppoted Crake, Jack Snipe and Bar-tailed Godwit. Today Cuckoo (2 birds together!) and Tawny Pipit.

So it is!
Thanks Martin.
Gregor from now on.
I went to the rubbish bins, my only walk outside all week, and there to greet me was a very noisy Golden oriole!
Like is so often the case, I couldn’t see it even though i was under the right tree and I then heard it calling from further away.
Mondragó is a very good place for this species, I often see them here in spring and sometimes in August too.
The birds that are being found since Lockdown is incredible, most of which I would never have seen had I not been confined to my home.
More to come methinks.
Honey Buzzard any day now.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back