• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Visitor to the Bath - USA (1 Viewer)

pattianne

Any help to id this yellow bird is appreciated.
Thanks

pattianne

USA
southern Louisiana
August 22, 2007

Attachments

• bath 3.jpg
    bath 3.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Hi there, your bird in my opinion appears to be a Tanager, Scarlet I'd say because of the obvious green tones on upper parts as well as bill structure and color (which is less favorable for Summer). I'm guessing since this is in August, this bird is migrating through your area southward, as they apparently don't breed in Louisiana. Some female Scarlets do show weak wingbars, which this individual has...

Last edited:
Thanks, Tayler. I am uploading two more photos. I appreciate your response.
pattianne

Attachments

• bath 1.jpg
    bath 1.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 85
  • bath 2.jpg
    bath 2.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 78
Thanks, Tayler. I am uploading two more photos. I appreciate your response.
pattianne

Oh gosh, I think I may have made a mistake here. That bill is awfully sharp, I think it might actually be a juvenile/female type Orchard Oriole or something like that instead. Horribly sorry Pattianne, I think I've made a mess of this ID. Let's see who else comes along to lend their opinion. The head on view of the first photo really threw me off...

It is an Orchard Oriole. The sharp bill, the green on top and yellow below, and the two thin wingbars rule out everything else expected in Louisiana in August.

The photos are wonderful, by the way.

It is an Orchard Oriole. The sharp bill, the green on top and yellow below, and the two thin wingbars rule out everything else expected in Louisiana in August.

The photos are wonderful, by the way.

Okay, that's what I suspected upon viewing the second batch of photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back