• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gull scotland (1 Viewer)

kawwauser

checking if the lesser black backed gulls were back yet and took some distant pics ,never noticed the bird until I checked the pics,i first thought common gull but there is a common gull in the pic and it is much larger,taken today at riverside nature park dundee

Attachments

• gull.jpg
    gull.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 145
I thought it was a Common Gull when I saw the photo and Common Gull is definitely the most likely option at the park given what can be seen of the bird. I think the slightly different posture is making it appear slightly smaller than the Common Gull that is fully visible and the resolution of the camera is giving a "solid" look to the head markings making it appear more 'odd' than it would have done at the time. I'd be surprised if it was anything other than a Common Gull.

Apart from apparent size (deceptive in many such photos) it nicely matches the common gull elsewhere in the pic which is useful for judging the shade of grey in (the photo's capture of) the light conditions. Common gull for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back