• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saying hello and need help with Australian bird ID (3 Viewers)

Polcon

Hello everyone. Having a son on Australia I have been lucky enough to visit twice and managed to get some birding in. Everything was new to me but I have managed to ID virtually everything I saw from bird guides but one eludes me. Attached is a photo of something that looks like a grass or emu wren but the field guides don't show anything in those categories with such a prominent supercilious. Any ideas gratefully received. Photo attached.

Attachments

• DSC_0540 copy.jpg
    DSC_0540 copy.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 66
Hi Polcon and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the ID forum; I'm sure someone will soon be along to help you.

Welcome to BirdForum. I think this bird is a Striated Fieldwren. It's either that or something similar. It might help to know whereabouts in Australia the photo was taken, as the fieldwrens tend to be quite specific to location and habitat.

Another welcome to the BirdForum Polcon. Glad to have you aboard.
*Sorry, I can not help you with an ID to the bird you photographed, but others should be along shortly to help out with the ID.

Welcome to BirdForum. I think this bird is a Striated Fieldwren. It's either that or something similar. It might help to know whereabouts in Australia the photo was taken, as the fieldwrens tend to be quite specific to location and habitat.

I agree with Striated Fieldwren.

Chris

Many thanks for prompt replies. It does seem the closest match and I did see it at Loch Ard near Port Campbell in South Australia which fits in with the distribution maps in the field guides.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back