• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Top 5 Moth Names (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
As per the monthly moth thread, those cool olde Victorian moth names.

Think my top 5 (without delving, so it might change if I looked in the book properly for a reminder), in no particular order -

1) Clifden Nonpareil (I know it's in another language but just slips off the tongue so nicely)
2) The Sorcerer
3) The Alchemyst
4) Scarce Burnished Brass
5) The Shark

... but could be any other 5.

Last edited:
This is a good way to drop off to sleep. I might not get to the end:

1) True Lover's Knot, I've already said
2) Figure of Eighty
3) Angle Shades

I had the Alchemyst as a pick in my mind earlier since seeing one on Birdguides review today

4) Blood-vein
5) Chocolate Tip

Just a random 5, like you, Dan. I'll see how many I get to on my pillow as I zed off.

There are some wonderful names out there. Naturalist Peter Marren brought out a book a couple of years or so back out called Emperors, Admirals & Chimney Sweepers where he looks at the names of our butterflies & moths. Borrowing from Peter I'll start with:

1 Chimney Sweeper
2 The Druid
3 Anomalous
4 The Saxon
5 Mother Shipton

Of course so many other great names to select. The Uncertain always ends up bringing a smile to my face as when you're at an event & you haven't seen the moth in question & somebody calls "uncertain" you're wondering "is it an Uncertain or they're not sure what they've got?".

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back