• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski nl 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Swarovski has always been far ahead of the competition when it comes to promotion. A lot of the Swarovski mystique is purely marketing and aesthetics over substance.

Swarovski has always been far ahead of the competition when it comes to promotion. A lot of the Swarovski mystique is purely marketing and aesthetics over substance.

Since Swaro has been kicking all the other alpha's butts for years in the sales and service categories, I'd say you're way off base with your assessment. If they were a two or three year wonderboy it would be different, but they're not. They consistently beat all of their competition to the punch.

Since Swaro has been kicking all the other alpha's butts for years in the sales and service categories, I'd say you're way off base with your assessment. If they were a two or three year wonderboy it would be different, but they're not. They consistently beat all of their competition to the punch.

Unknowingly, you made my point.

Do you think they would have done a 12x42 if they were also planning NL 50? I suspect not, so it's not envisioned as a complete "line", and a 32 doesn't seem a sure bet either. (Leica still has only Noctivid 42, and it took Zeiss ~5 years to get around to SF 32... I wouldn't hold my breath, or money.)
On second thought I want to revise this opinion. Normally a line of binoculars is introduced as such, so it does seem doutful to expect more models in the future when this has only ever happened with the SF. (Or does anyone know of another instance?)

But I am going to hold my money, if not my breath. NL 32 would interest and serve me much better than SF 32 (or NL 42), so I'm willing to wait and hope for it, enjoying my UVHD+ in the meantime.

Perhaps Swaro will upgrade to a wider bar of soap, nicer feeling badger bristle brush; and include a mini-shampoo with matching perfume bottle of Eau de Bourgeoisie

;)

The SLC range does not have any 32 m binocular and why should Swarovski make an 8x32 NL when the 8x and 10x 32 EL-SV are still very much in demand and appreciated?
Gijs van Ginkel

The SLC range does not have any 32 m binocular and why should Swarovski make an 8x32 NL when the 8x and 10x 32 EL-SV are still very much in demand and appreciated?
Gijs van Ginkel

To satisfy a customer demand for new and exciting products, and continue to be a leader as a successful sports optic business. The issue is not that the 32mm EL - SV is no longer a wonderful instrument, but that maybe there now exists a new binocular that performs noticably better than anything before. It's also a popular format according to a BF poll.

Gijs van Ginkel[/

It would be nice to see 32mm SLC produced. Optical quality about as good as
SV without flat field and having a traditional body/frame could be desirable to a lot of people. I would be very interested in 8x32 SLC, but since there is already CL 30 and SV 32 it's not going to happen. They would have made SLC in 32mm by now.

pbjosh, post49,
I do not know if your analysis is correct. It is kind of a gamble for a company to introduce new models and to be sure that the gamble does not bring about too many risks, a solid company does its homework well by performing good consumer research to find out if making a new model can/will be succesful (and if it is worth all the investments). As yet I have not seen any sign that this is the case for an NL32 despite eager posters here. But not every poster here is a customer and the amount of reactions would probably not be enough for Swarovski to walk that path, but future will tell us.
Gijs van Ginkel

The new 8x32 SF:s are 2400€ and the 8x42 SF:s are about the same.

With the same price logic a 8x32 NL would cost 2900€.

At least I wouldn't pay that for a 8x32...

The market might be too small for premium 8x32:s and 42mm bins are still the bulk in sales I assume.

The market might be too small for premium 8x32:s and 42mm bins are still the bulk in sales I assume.

The Birdforum binocular format poll results showed the top 3 as....

8 or 8.5 x 42 = 33.53%
8 x 32 = 21.66%
10 x 42 = 13.9%

We need to factor in that hunters and stalkers probably prefer 42mm and above and are unlikely to be represented in this set of results.

By this logic the NL42 was unnecessary...
Exactly, although one can't really guess what logic applies in Absam. I wouldn't have crippled the close focus first on the SLC and then EL myself (who else has ever done that?), but since these lines have now been clearly relegated to the status of legacy classics with NL as the new top dog, NL 32 at least would make a lot of sense. And since we know they read this forum, we can express interest and see what happens.

In any case I'm looking forward to understanding the NL optical design better.

P.S. Beth and Gijs, I've always assumed the CL 30 sort of substitutes for an SLC 32 because hunters are less interested in small glass. But I think/hope NL is meant to appeal to everyone.

Last edited:
The Birdforum binocular format poll results showed the top 3 as....

8 or 8.5 x 42 = 33.53%
8 x 32 = 21.66%
10 x 42 = 13.9%

We need to factor in that hunters and stalkers probably prefer 42mm and above and are unlikely to be represented in this set of results.

Yes, good point, in total, 42mm bins (or larger) might be 75% or even more of Swaros total sales.

And the 8x32 EL SV is probably not ready to be replaced yet. I think it was launched 2 years after the 42mm EL SV.

So I guess we'll have to wait for the 32mm NL at least 2 years.

Yes, good point, in total, 42mm bins (or larger) might be 75% or even more of Swaros total sales.

And the 8x32 EL SV is probably not ready to be replaced yet. I think it was launched 2 years after the 42mm EL SV.

So I guess we'll have to wait for the 32mm NL at least 2 years.

See, you have something to look forward to in 2 years :)

Or you could settle for that inferior SF thing from Zeiss for a couple of years, a horrible thought, a bit like having to eat a plate of smoked salmon as a starter because the main dish will take 20 minutes to prepare.

Edmund

Maybe we don't need a wider field of view, but I am sure the marketing folks are working hard to make us believe we do!

I'm going hoping to be content with an 8-degree field. Fortunately, there is no longer a local store where I can see and be tempted by new offerings. ;)

Clear skies, Alan

Maybe we don't need a wider field of view, but I am sure the marketing folks are working hard to make us believe we do!

I'm going hoping to be content with an 8-degree field. Fortunately, there is no longer a local store where I can see and be tempted by new offerings. ;)

Clear skies, Alan

You could suspend your ISP contract, then your savings would be safe - until you see a nice car :)

Edmund

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back