• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poplar or Sallow Kitten? (1 Viewer)

I'm thinking probably Sallow Kitten regor (however you'll need other opinions). The double wavy tram lines towards the hind-wing are pointing me in that direction?

Cheers

Based solely on the deep 'V's in the outermost crossband, looks a contender for Poplar to me and I can't make out any protrusions in the rear edge of the grey band which in Sallow, is also more vertical with less of a curve?

Poplar is big by comparison to Sallow Roger, was it big, c19mm?

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts Ken and Andy. It was about 14mm long which I suppose puts it more in the Sallow camp? But then the markings around the grey cross-band look more like Poplar to me.
Maybe this will just have to go unresolved...

Cheers,
Roger

Sallow for me too. Caught one last night - first in recent years so had to look closely.

Eg the double white lines third of way in from tip of forewing, whereas Poplar has more of a single stronger 'Nike' like white mark. Rounded black line bordering central grey area smoother and more curved in Poplar.

A side shot as in W @ T would probably have helped more.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back