• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in New York (1 Viewer)

Ian Virco

I have a friend who is going to New York from the 13 to 17 February,2004, the trip is a weekend break with his wife who cannot see attraction of 'staring at birds',he will have a few hours to himself though for some birding,probable only with his binoculars,would'nt get away with taking his scope on 'thier' short break.
What places could anyone recommend visiting for a bit of birding in New York & what is the best way of getting to any site recommended ( sorry,dont know exactly where they are stopping,but as its a package break i assume it will be a central hotel)
Also does anyone know what birds could be expected at this time of year & what time of day is best for birding at the various sites,hope you can help,thanks, Ian Virco,England

If he is in New York City proper, there is no beating the birding at Central Park. Miles and miles of birds. Any cab driver will no where it is as well as any New Yorker and will be able to give him directions from where he is staying. The subway system in NYC in phenominal as well for getting around cheaply.

And if there's more time available, think about Jamaica Bay National Wilflife Refuge in Queens (a borough of NYC). I've never birded there, but have always wanted to -- and have heard for years about what a great place it is. It's out somewhere around JFK.

For a little 'preparatory' reading on Central Park, I'd suggest "Red Tails in Love" by Marie Winn/Wynn -- a lovely book about red-tails nesting in the middle of Manhatten, with sidelights about the birders of Central Park.

I remember looking at Central Park's website once, and reading that it's species total is around 400 (I think -- short term memory is problematic) (year-round, of course).

Hope your friend has a good time!

Beverlybaynes said:
For a little 'preparatory' reading on Central Park, I'd suggest "Red Tails in Love" by Marie Winn/Wynn -- a lovely book about red-tails nesting in the middle of Manhatten, with sidelights about the birders of Central Park.
Bev, I just re-read this lovely story for I guess the 6th time. I don't recall ever reading any other book more than once. :)

I was going to make a thread of this sort. I just moved to the city last month and I really need to get out and do some birding despite the horrid weather and all. Within my circle of friends I have no friends to take part in this activity with me. In fact, if it's decent on Friday, I am going to hit up Central Park before work (I don't have to be in until 10).

Any tips suggestions or places to check out would be much appreciated. I know CP and Jamaica Bay, but I am not aware of any other hotspots in the metro area.

Pleasesleep! WHERE have you been??!!? I remember replying to you -- and I think it was about CP -- a good while ago, and then you disappeared! I'm glad to see you back!

I don't know NYC at all, but what about the parkland up around the Cloisters? Would there be anything besides gulls looking off the Battery? What could you see while on the Staten Island Ferry and back (unless it's bitterly cold, of course).

And really, could anything be better than Central Park for birding in NY?

If he's going to be in then he needs to checkcheck nycbirdreport.com this site tells you all the interesting (and less interesting)birds that have been seen recently in the main NY Parks - Central Park is updated daily the others every few days. It's not a great time of year but there should still be some ok stuff around. If he heads for the ramble - which he should find on the Central Park map he should find some helpful birders around (some of the most helpful and friendly birders i've met are in Central Park) - people also run birdwatching trips round the park but i'm not sure when and where they run but if he contacts the birdreport site i'm sure they'll tell him. Luke

It was only a weekend break with his non birdwatching Wife,but he managed to get a morning in central park and add several species to his world list!
Soon he is going to Las Vagas where his Daughter is getting married,much as he,d like to go Birding,this trip with all the family might make it impossible for him to 'slip out' for a morning or so!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back