• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall macros for id/confirmation (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Hi, presumably regular species.

1) Green Pug??
2)
3)
4)

I have suspicions on the others, but ...

Cheers.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 41
I think the first may be a rather worn V-Pug. The Waves look like Small Fan-footed, and the other may be a Common Rustic agg, but I'm new to this myself so best wait and see what others think.

I think the first may be a rather worn V-Pug. The Waves look like Small Fan-footed, and the other may be a Common Rustic agg, but I'm new to this myself so best wait and see what others think.

Agree with V Pug & Small Fan-footed Wave. I'm wondering if the moth snuggling up to the Large Yellow Underwing is a Small Square-spot?

Thanks all. Overlooked V-Pug as the book seemed to say that 'Green Pug' was the only that was green ... Couldn't see much what else the waves could be, but I was expecting to see more of a dark mark near the wing tip apex, so was confused.

Was wondering about those options as the main ones on the third one - it was pretty small, so think 2nd gen Small Square Spot makes the most sense on size alone.

Last edited:
Realised I had another photo or two of it taken later in the day after potting in the fridge ...

Probably doesn't help. What is making it a Square-spot Rustic?

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Realised I had another photo or two of it taken later in the day after potting in the fridge ...

Probably doesn't help. What is making it a Square-spot Rustic?

For me, indicators are size / shape and the dark area between the Kidney and oval.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy.

Some more from last night -

1) Pug sp - do-able ish??
2) Flounced Rustic?
3) Got this as a Swallow Prominent, despite the white triangle reaching less than half way. (Might have better photos of hindwing black/white mark, although found online info on this feature tricky)

One more -

4) Small Argent and Sable (rare in Cornwall apparently) or Common Carpet?

Cheers.

Attachments

• pug sp.jpg
    pug sp.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 28
  • flounced q.jpg
    flounced q.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 33
  • swallow.jpg
    swallow.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 27
  • S and g q.jpg
    S and g q.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
1. Pug too worn. If small, I would head towards Maple. Definitely not Double-striped Pug.
2. Flounced Rustic
3. Swallow Prominent
4. Common Carpet

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back