• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x32 advice (1 Viewer)

Nikon HG (L) is still a solid bin with good eye relief. It was an excellent bin in 2004. The lack of ED glass is noticeable though. Purple fringing (longitudinal CA) may be disturbing.

Zeiss FL 32mm with its better CA correction was the next generation of bins compared to the nikon. The only concern I had with them was eye relief that might be a bit short if you use glasses.

Hi J,

The FL's do look in good condition right enough. 9 years old though. I should hopefully be able to drive the price down a bit.

Might get them sent up on sale or rtn so I van get a proper look at them. Even though their mint 9 years old is still a fairly old bin.

cheers

Might get them sent up on sale or rtn so I van get a proper look at them. Even though their mint 9 years old is still a fairly old bin.

Hi,

optics doesn't get bad if not abused... my early SE 10x42 is from the early nineties and my Kowa TSN-3 is probably even older... both give a top notch view even when compared to todays alphas...

The only thing that might be missing on these is Lotutec - I know it's been around in 2009 - not sure about 2008... but that's a minor inconvenience in my opinion - I rarely get my glass dirty and thus clean very infrequently...

PS: I found a used non-lotutec pair at some store in germany for 999€ - not sure if that's significantly below your price atm - if you're interested give me a yell.
Also between 900 and 1000€ is the going price for 8x32 on ebay - 10x is kinda rare. There is one currently on sale in Hamburg (with paperwork from April this year) but no paypal accepted which would be a no-go for me on ebay...

Joachim

Last edited:
Hi,

optics doesn't get bad if not abused... my early SE 10x42 is from the early nineties and my Kowa TSN-3 is probably even older... both give a top notch view even when compared to todays alphas...

The only thing that might be missing on these is Lotutec - I know it's been around in 2009 - not sure about 2008... but that's a minor inconvenience in my opinion - I rarely get my glass dirty and thus clean very infrequently...

PS: I found a used non-lotutec pair at some store in germany for 999€ - not sure if that's significantly below your price atm - if you're interested give me a yell.
Also between 900 and 1000€ is the going price for 8x32 on ebay - 10x is kinda rare. There is one currently on sale in Hamburg (with paperwork from April this year) but no paypal accepted which would be a no-go for me on ebay...

Joachim

Joachim:

Zeiss started using Lotutec in 2007.

Jerry

Thank you, Jerry!
So an example from 2008 should be as good as one sold today...

Joachim

Here is a photo of how the Lotutec models are identified, note the
small crescent above the size inside the hinge.

Jerry

Attachments

• IMG_0594 (2).JPG
    IMG_0594 (2).JPG
    364.8 KB · Views: 141
Hi J,

The FL's do look in good condition right enough. 9 years old though. I should hopefully be able to drive the price down a bit.

cheers

I can vouch for the shop concerned as even though I live about 80 miles away its my favourite bino shop and they can be trusted with their descriptions.

Lee

Hi Lee,

Yes I agree, nice guy and very helpful. Still pontificating on options but I do want to have a look at he FL's before I come to a definitive decision. Then of course I could always just order them up.

But Zeiss is still making FL 32mm, absolutely definitely, and it is still a terrific instrument.

Lee

Hello,

I have one but I prefer lower power for greater stability. I did find that I could hold the FL more steadily than its renowned predecessor the 10x40 Dialyt. It appears to have very good eye relief for a 10x32.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

My requirements are really more for raptors and viewing waders along the shoreline. The 8x are OK but I often feel I could do with that extra reach without having to get the scope out.

More often than not the extra shake of 10X bins will cancel out the benefits of the extra power, compared to 8X bins.

For your kind of use I would consider the Canon 12x36. More power than 10X bins and a significant increase in magnification compared to your 8X bins, especially with the image stabilisation added, yet still reasonably compact and lightweight.

George

Last edited:
Hi George,

Canon might make SLR's but they're not on my binocular list. IS is not for me......even in cameras!

I'm pretty much on the trail of 10x32 EL, 10x32 T*FL and EDG 10x32 which I think are the main players with respect to this model size.

I was so disappointed with the Leica ultravids...just couldn't handle the eye cups or get a clear image because of peripheral intrusion.

Anyhow my next job is to check whether the CA on the Swaro is really an issue....I forgot to look for it last time but now that i'm more educated in these things I might find it next time....!!

Hopefully going to try the Zeiss FL's out shortly so should be interesting. My local dealer doesn't stock the Nikon so I may be forced to avoid that test.

The Doctor has advised that there is no immediate cure and the only way to relieve symptoms might to be part with some cash....which of course depending on the amount could cause sleepless nights and feelings of guilt....which would of course mean a return to said Doctor. Catch 22.

Hi George,

I'm pretty much on the trail of 10x32 EL, 10x32 T*FL and EDG 10x32 which I think are the main players with respect to this model size.

Anyhow my next job is to check whether the CA on the Swaro is really an issue....I forgot to look for it last time but now that i'm more educated in these things I might find it next time....!!

Sollas

Some folks say that glare (milky view when looking anywhere near the sun : but you never ever look at the sun ok?) is a problem with the EL so you might want to check for that.

BTW is your pen-name on here anything to do with the village called Sollas on North Uist?

Lee

S
Some folks say that glare (milky view when looking anywhere near the sun : but you never ever look at the sun ok?) is a problem with the EL so you might want to check for that.

Hm, glare on the EL too? Can't say - the day when I got to compare the EL 10x32 vs my SE 10x was a gray winter day, so no sun for glare but many barren trees against gray sky for CA - it was not terrible, but my SE controlled it better - even without Swarovision...

Joachim

Hi George,

Canon might make SLR's but they're not on my binocular list. IS is not for me......even in cameras!

I was so disappointed with the Leica ultravids...just couldn't handle the eye cups or get a clear image because of peripheral intrusion.

Hopefully going to try the Zeiss FL's out shortly so should be interesting. My local dealer doesn't stock the Nikon so I may be forced to avoid that test.

The Doctor has advised that there is no immediate cure and the only way to relieve symptoms might to be part with some cash....which of course depending on the amount could cause sleepless nights and feelings of guilt....which would of course mean a return to said Doctor. Catch 22.

Sollas,
any updates to where you ended up with the 8x32's?

Hi SBB

Well it's fair to say I've done the circuit on this one and after much deliberation and contemplation it's now between the SV 8x32 EL field pro and the Zeiss 8x42 HT.

The SV 8x32's are actually quite fabulous and I'm not sure if I can find a reason NOT to by them :) I tried them on a reserve and against trees and certainly could see the infamous rolling ball. The eyecups and focusing is just so easy and relaxing with a crystal clear large field of view......very pleasing.

The Zeiss 8x42 HT is also a lovely bin. Obviously a bit bigger and heavier but a beautiful crisp field of view. The eyecups are a little bit tighter than the EL's but pretty much extend the same distance so I do get a nice complete field of view. The HT objective lens covers are a bit of a faff and a strange solution by Zeiss. Not quite sure they've got that right. Tried the SF out of curiosity and in my opinion the HT is better in every way.

The Leica bins don't work for me at all, strange I know. Eyecups just don't extend enough so can't get decent field of view. Even the 8x42 Noctovids I tried didn't work either although they're very nicely made.

So to sum up, if money was no option and I had any 8x to choose from I'd probably go with the EL 8x32 field pro. The design, caps, neck strap and view are just 5*. I do like the design, shape and view of the HT's and of course they're cheaper.

It's a nice problem to have. Just trying to figure what the HT would give me that the EL doesn't.

Some on here will immediately launch and say they're completely different bins. However to me that's irrelevant as they probably both work for me needs.

Lastly .....I realised that after testing 10x options on many of the above and going away and thinking about it all that 8x was always going to accommodate 90% of my needs and the view just generally felt better.

The 8x42 HT:s would be better during difficult light conditions, low sun close to the FOV and in low light/winter/deep forest etc. The HT:s will never let you down, in any light conditions, but you have to carry a bit more weight.
On the other hand, the 8x32 SV might work perfectly fine in 95% of normal usage, and many people might not even use them in difficult light and notice things like glare, the lower light transmission and smaller exit pupil.

Viewing e.g. the edge of a wood under a bright but overcast day=Veiling glare. Not immediately visible but it does kill the contrast. Such light conditions aren't that rare.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back