• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (50 Viewers)

2 ringed BHG in the roost on Saturday among 1400 other conspecifics.
Yellow- T7L2- 1st winter (2CY)- Looks Polish
White- 28N3- Adult type- Probably from CWP?

I don't think either bird has been recorded before - the first bird certainly appears to come from a Polish scheme whilst the second appears to be from the Cotswold Water Park or its sister scheme from Berkshire.

Do you want me to follow them both up Craig?

I don't think either bird has been recorded before - the first bird certainly appears to come from a Polish scheme whilst the second appears to be from the Cotswold Water Park or its sister scheme from Berkshire.

Do you want me to follow them both up Craig?

I have an account for Polring so can get the Polish results quickly. Know you have contacts at CWP so you may be able to deal with that one better than I could? Did you get the results from the previous birds a few weeks ago?

I have an account for Polring so can get the Polish results quickly. Know you have contacts at CWP so you may be able to deal with that one better than I could? Did you get the results from the previous birds a few weeks ago?

OK mate. I have a series of birds with outstanding queries from the CWP / Berkshire schemes so I will throw them all into one big email.

I haven't received a response regarding Polish bird J6Y6 so happy for you to chase that one up as well.

Last edited:
OK mate. I have a series of birds with outstanding queries from the CWP / Berkshire schemes so I will throw them all into one big email.

I haven't received a response regarding Polish bird J6Y6 so happy for you to chase that one up as well.

The reason for no success was that J6Y6 was from Norway, not Poland ;)
Attached is data on both J6Y6 and T7L2
J6Y6.jpgT7L2.jpg

Will have another look at pics. on lap-top when I get home.

Looks better on lap-top than on phone from the rump point of view. Flank colour perhaps seems extensive due to wind blown feathers. Seems fairly similar to some images on web, but both are darker than I'd have expected. Perhaps I've seen more Whites than I realise!

Last edited:
work party at Moors Today

Today was a well attended and productive session, with 19 of us and 4 lots of cakes:eat: A truly great effort achieving all our goals and more.B :)
Bob O, Bob P, Bob R, Charles, Dave H, Graham L, Hugh, Jim B, John C, Keith M, Nick, Paul M, Peter E, Ray C, Roger, Terry W, Tony B, Andy Harris and me.

1. Cleared Broadmeadow island of bramble rank vegetation.
2. shored up west and part of the east sections of Pool island.
3. strimmed the east bank below hide.
4. repaired fox fence.
5. cut and treated 100's of willow saplings around Broadmeadow and the 'Hook'
6. completed stock fencing
7. created an anti incursion blockade in the SE corner - from hawthorn cuttings
8. lowered a section of the bramble/willow hedge to south of east hide.
9. strimmed the Secret Garden to open up the grassy area
10. feasted on cake8-P

pics
1. working on Pool island
2. the west end of Pool island after work
3. Broadmeadow island after strimming
4. secret garden after strimming

Attachments

• 1. pool isalnd work Mar 16 DSCF3627.jpg
    1. pool isalnd work Mar 16 DSCF3627.jpg
    630.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 2. Pool Island west shoring up. DSCF3638.jpg
    2. Pool Island west shoring up. DSCF3638.jpg
    771.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 3. Br island cleared DSCF3635.jpg
    3. Br island cleared DSCF3635.jpg
    787.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 4. secret garden DSCF3645.jpg
    4. secret garden DSCF3645.jpg
    916.3 KB · Views: 87
Birding Moors Today

Waterfowl numbers had dropped today, to be expected as the wintering species move out. Chiffchaff were calling and later a bird sang by the chestnut tree. At 1.20pm the 1st Sand martin of the year dropped in to have a quick drink another appeared at 4pm. Plenty of song from the commoner passerines as well as cetti's warblers.
Species count Moors:
Mute Swan 6 (3 pairs - the resident male having to fight hard against the interlopers), shelduck 5, Gadwall 8 (3prs +2 males), Teal 15, Shoveler 6, Pochard 9 ( 4 males), tufted 45, cormorant down to just 2, Little egret, Coot 70, Avocet 20 briefly flew round the pool and then returned to the Flashes, Oystercatcher 4, lapwing pair - displaying and scraping, curlew, snipe 4, skylark, SAND MARTIN, cetti's w 2, long tailed tits at least 2 nests, chiffchaff 2, nuthatch, treecreeper, starling 120, song thrush, chaffinch 2 singing. lesser redpoll, reed bunting several singing,

NORTH MOORS: Little egret, Shelduck pr, teal 8, tufted 8, water rail, cettis w,

I saw at least 55 species at the Moors today, didn't see - Great sp w, goldcrest, kestrel, pied or grey wag

Last edited:
Birding at the Flashes

Although the BHG dominate there was plenty of back up stuff.
A good number of thrushes fed in the transmitter field late on, the raven stretched its wings revealing its continuous presence on its nest and it must be getting close to hatching. A jack snipe fed in one of the 'delta' channels late on, close to the single green sand and the roosting curlew.

SPECIES COUNT FLASHES:
Teal 24, gadwall 10 (4 prs + 2 males - gadwall have been reported all day at the Flashes and with 8 on the Moors all day, I am not sure what the reserve total is. I had the 8 at Moors 4.45pm and 10 at the Flashes 5.30).
shoveler 12, shelduck 3, Tufted, greylag 7,
Avocet 21, curlew 7, green sand , Jack snipe, lapwing 30, dunlin, oystercatcher 2,
BHG 1450 roosted, Buzzard 3, Raven, stock dove 22, green woodp,
fieldfare 5, redwing 180, lesser redpoll, chiffchaff, pied wag.

SAILING POOL: GCG 3, shoveler 1, tufted 18,

40 species seen at the Flashes with many common passerines not recorded...a total of 62 species seen by myself on the reserve.

Last edited:
Although the BHG dominate there was plenty of back up stuff.
A good number of thrushes fed in the transmitter field late on, the raven stretched its wings revealing its continuous presence on its nest and it must be getting close to hatching. A jack snipe fed in one of the 'delta' channels late on, close to the single green sand and the roosting curlew.

SPECIES COUNT FLASHES:
Teal 24, gadwall 10 (4 prs + 2 males - gadwall have been reported all day at the Flashes and with 8 on the Moors all day, I am not sure what the reserve total is. I had the 8 at Moors 4.45pm and 10 at the Flashes 5.30).
shoveler 12, shelduck 3, Tufted, greylag 7,
Avocet 21, curlew 7, green sand , Jack snipe, lapwing 30, dunlin, oystercatcher 2,
BHG 1450 roosted, Buzzard 3, Raven, stock dove 22, green woodp,
fieldfare 5, redwing 180, lesser redpoll, chiffchaff, pied wag.

SAILING POOL: GCG 3, shoveler 1, tufted 18,

40 species seen at the Flashes with many common passerines not recorded...a total of 62 species seen by myself on the reserve.

I had 62 species on Monday as well!

Would be great if there were 18 Gadwall present across the reserve - needs some coordinated counting by the Wednesday crew tomorrow.

Attached is photo of `Pied Wagtail` taken 3 March 2018 Flashes, had me going on White, but `mottled` grey back!!!

Dick

(There`s nothing like looking into the future!!!! 2016)

Attachments

• DSCF3328.JPG
    DSCF3328.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
As we approach the latter part of March the year list currently stands on 97 and the monthly list on 85. Possible additions before the end of March include (year ticks in bold):

Garganey, Pintail, Goldeneye, Goosander, Marsh Harrier, Osprey Peregrine, Merlin, Little Ringed Plover, Ringed Plover, Golden Plover, Common Sandpiper, Yellow-legged Gull, Tawny Owl, Swallow, House Martin, Wheatear, Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Brambling, House Sparrow, Yellowhammer

The winds turn to a breezy southerly on Saturday through to Monday, so hopefully favourable winds combined with lots of Bank Holiday observers will see a number of migrants recorded.

Ringed Black-headed Gulls

White 28N3, recorded by Craig in the Flashes' roost on Saturday evening, was ringed in the nest at Lea Farm Gravel Pit, Hurst, Wokingham on the 15th June 2014. There have no other sightings of this bird.

White 21N9, noted at the Flashes on the 27th April 2015, was ringed at Hosehill Lake near Theale, Berkshire in the nest on the 8th June 2014. It was recorded on a number of further dates at Hosehill in June and July 2014, returning to the same site on the 12th May 2015 some 15 days after it was observed at Upton Warren.

Attachments

• 21N9.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 28N3.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 20
As we approach the latter part of March the year list currently stands on 97 and the monthly list on 85. Possible additions before the end of March include (year ticks in bold):

Garganey, Pintail, Goldeneye, Goosander, Marsh Harrier, Osprey Peregrine, Merlin, Little Ringed Plover, Ringed Plover, Golden Plover, Common Sandpiper, Yellow-legged Gull, Tawny Owl, Swallow, House Martin, Wheatear, Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Brambling, House Sparrow, Yellowhammer

The winds turn to a breezy southerly on Saturday through to Monday, so hopefully favourable winds combined with lots of Bank Holiday observers will see a number of migrants recorded.
Peregrine 19th on masts with kill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back