Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Have Nikon given up competing with the big three?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 10th February 2008, 02:18   #176
ceasar

Cameron,
The 7 x 42 binocular is a victim of the cursory shopping method most people use in picking a binocular. You have to use it a bit to really appreciate it. When compared briefly with an 8 x 42, most people will prefer the 8 x 42 because of it's extra magnification. It takes a little bit of time and practical use to discover how user friendly the 7 x 42 is. It's 6mm exit pupil is very forgiving when the IPD is a bit off center from one's pupil. It has a visibly larger FOV than a comparable 8 x 42. It almost always has longer eye relief and it has more depth of field at all distances. Fine focusing is done by merely tweaking the focus wheel. The effect of hand shake is minimized when compared to high power binoculars. It is superior in twilight and forest lighting. And it is also excellent for Raptor watching. Jerry Ligouri, author of Hawks From Every Angle uses one and has this to say about it at page 10: "The magnification one chooses should be based on what is most comfortable. I use 7x (magnification) binoculars for watching hawks because I prefer an extrawide field of view;.........skill level in identifying birds is more a matter of experience than of high-powered optics......"

I'm pleased that Nikon chose to introduce a 7 x 42 in it's new EDG line. I use a 7 x 42 as my primary binocular and I would highly recommend one to beginners, to those who need to wear glasses while using binoculars, and to older people who may experience some hand shake in using binoculars.

Cordially,
Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Sunday 10th February 2008 at 02:45.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 10th February 2008, 17:48   #177
kabsetz

Cameron,

I'll take the opportunity to ask a Nikon insider a couple of questions as well. Firstly, when the EDG brochure speaks of tripod-adaptability, does this mean that there is a tripod-adapter thread concealed in the hinge assembly, or does one still need one of those large and cumbersome plate-and-strap adapters? And how does the focus lock feature function? Not having seen and handled the binocular yet, I'm a bit worried that it may do more harm than good if the implementation is such that it is possible to engage the lock unintentionally.

Secondly, and I'm sure this will get a "no comment" answer, how about plans to have an EDG IS (image stabilized) model available in the near future? Seriously, I feel that it is high time that one of the other major players challenge Canon in this area, since now that they are essentially being left alone offering IS binoculars for general/birding applications, they seem less inclined to further improve the product or listen to customer feedback.

Thirdly, concerning the scopes, I seriously hope that the rumors about a new wide-angle zoom are based on fact, as that is really the only serious shortcoming of the ED 82 (or ED 60 III for that matter). And digiscopers would appreciate a wide-angle 20x fixed e.p. with good eye-relief, at least if the rumored zoom would not have 20x with a reasonably wide field and good e.r. Of course, challenging Kowa with an 88-92mm ED would not hurt either.

Kimmo
Old Sunday 10th February 2008, 19:27   #178
Kumlieni

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabsetz View Post
Cameron,

I'll take the opportunity to ask a Nikon insider a couple of questions as well. Firstly, when the EDG brochure speaks of tripod-adaptability, does this mean that there is a tripod-adapter thread concealed in the hinge assembly, or does one still need one of those large and cumbersome plate-and-strap adapters? And how does the focus lock feature function? Not having seen and handled the binocular yet, I'm a bit worried that it may do more harm than good if the implementation is such that it is possible to engage the lock unintentionally.

Secondly, and I'm sure this will get a "no comment" answer, how about plans to have an EDG IS (image stabilized) model available in the near future? Seriously, I feel that it is high time that one of the other major players challenge Canon in this area, since now that they are essentially being left alone offering IS binoculars for general/birding applications, they seem less inclined to further improve the product or listen to customer feedback.

Thirdly, concerning the scopes, I seriously hope that the rumors about a new wide-angle zoom are based on fact, as that is really the only serious shortcoming of the ED 82 (or ED 60 III for that matter). And digiscopers would appreciate a wide-angle 20x fixed e.p. with good eye-relief, at least if the rumored zoom would not have 20x with a reasonably wide field and good e.r. Of course, challenging Kowa with an 88-92mm ED would not hurt either.

Kimmo
1. Yes, there is a thread in the hinge.

2. I know of no such plans, but sometimes they spring stuff on us that we hadn't realized was coming.

3. I seriously hope the rumors are true as well. I have them from sources I feel are credible, but not confirmed directly from Nikon. I will try to find out more. I will post it on the Nikon spotting scope forum on BirdForum when I know something for sure.

Cameron
Old Sunday 13th April 2008, 06:20   #179
horukuru
Here I Come !

so any update from nikon about the new EDG ? when would they officially announce this bino to the public ?
Old Wednesday 14th May 2008, 05:07   #180
terraz

I would tend to disagree.. the Nikon range has seen some significant improvements and they do still make quality binoculars at a very affordable price.
Old Thursday 9th October 2008, 23:32   #181
windstrings

looks like this thread is dead..... lets wake it up!

Here and

Here
Old Friday 10th October 2008, 00:30   #182
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE
BF Supporter 2018

Nikon has not really excited me very much lately. They have no Viper class binocular at that price, for instance.

So what is this silly thing?
http://www.nikon.com/about/news/2008...rter_ex_01.htm
no mention of phase coating

Last edited by Tero : Friday 10th October 2008 at 00:34.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 10th October 2008, 01:05   #183
Kevin Purcell

I think at this level phase coating is a given.

I've pointed out before that the Euro 3 don't mention phase coatings any more: it's so 1988

I think Nikon is just playing the same tune.
Old Friday 10th October 2008, 01:11   #184
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE
BF Supporter 2018

Not so at Nikon listings
http://www.nikon.com/products/sporto..._x36/index.htm

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 11th October 2008, 00:35   #185
Kevin Purcell

I presumed your link was to the EDG (as the thread is about Nikon and the Big 3) without actually clicking on it not to a new Sporter (which I'm sure has Leissvorski worried).

But the "not mentioning phase correction" is something the Euro 3 do.

So in this case I suspect these Sporters continue the tradition of Sporters in not having phase correction. Which is rather odd given their competition (Swift have a $100 8x42 with phase correction).
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: