Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon ProStaff 7

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.75 average.
Old Monday 16th May 2011, 02:47   #26
NDhunter

I am wondering if anyone has tried the new Prostaff 7. I am thinking in the entry level
under $200. mark these may be a nice fit. It seems they are available in 8x42 and 10x42.
They may be a nice alternative to the regular Monarch.

Jerry
Old Saturday 28th May 2011, 01:51   #27
NDhunter

There is a recent review of the new 2011 binoculars in Outdoor Life Magazine, the Nikon Prostaff 7, 10x42 received great reviews by the testers, and compared to some higher end competitors, such as the Vortex Razor HD. It dominated the low light test, and for its selling price/value rated the best score.

No link here, but a search will give the results, the Leupold BX-3 Mojave 10x42 was rated # 1, and had the best resolution.
These magazine tests are somewhat subjective, but do give the nod to quality.

Jerry
Old Saturday 30th July 2011, 04:34   #28
birdazzLED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
T

No link here, but a search will give the results, the Leupold BX-3 Mojave 10x42 was rated # 1, and had the best resolution.
These magazine tests are somewhat subjective, but do give the nod to quality.

Jerry
The 8x42 mojave has a narrow FOV as well. I dislike all that black area surrounding the circle of light. Apparently, it wasn't a consideration at OL.
Old Saturday 30th July 2011, 06:10   #29
brocknroller

I was looking at the Outdoor Life optics review this morning, and unless they amplify more picks in the print version, the "soundbyte" reviews found online aren't very helpful, IMO.

For example. the Alpen Rainier 8x42 ranked #2, but in image quality was rated higher than the Mohjave (A vs. B+).

Here's where the Alpen lost points: "Optically, the bino performed flawlessly, scoring near the top on both the low-light and resolution tests. But its heavier and not as well finished as the European binoculars it intends to emulate."

The fact that an 8x bin scored near the top with a 10x bin is no small feat. The Rainier model they show is the HD (ED glass) open bridge model, but they don't list it as such and make no mention of the ED glass. Not very helpful.

It costs around $850-$875, so why would they expect it to be as well finished as a full sized $2k alpha?

The Alpen weighs 29 oz, same as the pre-SV EL. I think the Mojave got the nod because it's 10x, and Outdoor Life is a hunting magazine (yeah, they also cover camping and rafting, but they rate rifle scopes in the same issue).

From my experience reading hunting optics reviews, courtesy of Steve, who loaned me a stack of Outdoor Life issues, plus what I've read at my doctor's office (he's stocks several hunting magazines) and reading hunting optics reviews online and on Optics Talk and 24hrcampfire, tens usually get favored over eights.

Particularly now that Steve's mentor, Jim Carmichael, retired, who thought the "eights were better".. :-)

The Mojave looks like it was designed by the Aztecs, but the FOV on the 10x42 isn't narrow, it's the same as the 10x42 SE (6.2* - Edz's and Allbino's measurements).

I like the eyecups on the Alpen, which are modeled closely after Swarovski's.

What is remarkable is how many of the bins they reviewed are open bridge designs.

Where are the clones?
Send in the clones.
Never mind, they're here:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/ga...ode-1001345786

Brock
Old Saturday 30th July 2011, 13:50   #30
mooreorless

Brock, OL lists the Minox BL 10x52 and they say Quote: "this is serious binocular is well-designed for twilight glass" end of Quote, but is dominated by the Nikon Pro Staff 7 10x42 in low light, so the Pro Staff 7 10x42 at $199 beat out the Minox BL 10x52 at $599 in low light. How serious is the Minox in low light?
Old Saturday 30th July 2011, 16:46   #31
brocknroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooreorless View Post
Brock, OL lists the Minox BL 10x52 and they say Quote: "this is serious binocular is well-designed for twilight glass" end of Quote, but is dominated by the Nikon Pro Staff 7 10x42 in low light, so the Pro Staff 7 10x42 at $199 beat out the Minox BL 10x52 at $599 in low light. How serious is the Minox in low light?
Apparently, about as serious as Daffy Duck!

Notice the subtly in the wording - "twilight" vs. "low light".

Brock
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: