Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

EDG Resale

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 17th October 2014, 12:48   #76
bh46118

Maybe the rep I spoke to recently was misinformed, but he was absolutely adamant that the warranty on a properly purchased Swarovski binocular transfers. Another phone call might be in order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
Excerpt from the warranty...
http://aa.swarovskioptik.com/downloa...arranty_US.pdf

"sold to a consumer by an Authorized U.S. SWAROVSKI OPTIK North
America Dealer has no Authorized Warranty"

Swarovski extends great service to a wide range of owners. That's their choice and I applaud it. However, language defines legality and they have plenty of wiggle room to change practices regarding non-original ownership. If you buy from someone who is not an authorized dealer then...well read the language. There's no mention of transfer, though Swarovski is free to extend that to you if they so desire.

I buy new with warranty so this is mostly moot to me and mine. The Nikon change adversely affects my SE's because water damage is not covered for that model. Oh, well, I never thought they were waterproof anyway!
Old Friday 17th October 2014, 14:14   #77
ceasar

I still think that Nikon will lower the prices of the EDG to make them more competitive.

They did it in the past.

I recall that the 8x32 LX L used to cost about the same as a Swarovski 8x30 SCL and less than 8x32 ELs, Ultravids and Victorys did.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 17th October 2014, 18:00   #78
Stanbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
I still think that Nikon will lower the prices of the EDG to make them more competitive.

They did it in the past.

I recall that the 8x32 LX L used to cost about the same as a Swarovski 8x30 SCL and less than 8x32 ELs, Ultravids and Victorys did.

Bob
Bob,

I don't think that the major reduction came until after the EDG was introduced.

On that basis, the EDG price is unlikely to be reduced until the EDG+ appears.

If they did reduce it before then, it would be tantamount to admitting that it isn't as good as the other, so called, Alphas. I suggest that they would be prepared to make a loss by low sales rather than do that.

This brings up another point - how many have they made anyway?

I'm not sure of the EDG numbering, but I have used 5 different EDG's (7x42, 8x42, and 3 off 8x32) and none of them has an end numbering of more than 1000. They might already be making a loss on them, just to show that they can compete at the highest level. Any loss they do make is likely to be infinitesimally small when set against their total revenue from their output of optics and cameras.

Still, it's fun surmising.

Stan
Old Friday 17th October 2014, 20:14   #79
Pileatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh46118 View Post
Maybe the rep I spoke to recently was misinformed, but he was absolutely adamant that the warranty on a properly purchased Swarovski binocular transfers. Another phone call might be in order.
Swarovski goes above and beyond their written warranty...
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=108624
We own three SV models and it's not because of the warranty. The peace of mind, however, is a big bonus.
Old Friday 17th October 2014, 21:12   #80
jgraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
Excerpt from the warranty...
http://aa.swarovskioptik.com/downloa...arranty_US.pdf

"sold to a consumer by an Authorized U.S. SWAROVSKI OPTIK North
America Dealer has no Authorized Warranty"

Swarovski extends great service to a wide range of owners. That's their choice and I applaud it. However, language defines legality and they have plenty of wiggle room to change practices regarding non-original ownership. If you buy from someone who is not an authorized dealer then...well read the language. There's no mention of transfer, though Swarovski is free to extend that to you if they so desire.

I buy new with warranty so this is mostly moot to me and mine. The Nikon change adversely affects my SE's because water damage is not covered for that model. Oh, well, I never thought they were waterproof anyway!

Only the ignorant, or downright hard headed attempt to bash Swaro USA's warranty. They go above and beyond the call of duty, and everyone (I thought) knows that. Nikon and Leica shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Swarovski when it comes to taking care of the customer. Leupold and Swaro wrote the book, period. Evidently Nikon and Leica need to stick to making cameras.
Old Friday 17th October 2014, 23:34   #81
Pileatus

We own three Swarovisions and ownership, unlike forum posts, speaks volumes. Swarovski has a legal warranty and a corporate policy of going above and beyond. Swarovski extends great service...doggone it there I go repeating myself again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraider View Post
Only the ignorant, or downright hard headed attempt to bash Swaro USA's warranty. They go above and beyond the call of duty, and everyone (I thought) knows that. Nikon and Leica shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Swarovski when it comes to taking care of the customer. Leupold and Swaro wrote the book, period. Evidently Nikon and Leica need to stick to making cameras.

Last edited by Pileatus : Saturday 18th October 2014 at 10:48.
Old Saturday 18th October 2014, 01:54   #82
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanbo View Post
Bob,

I don't think that the major reduction came until after the EDG was introduced.

On that basis, the EDG price is unlikely to be reduced until the EDG+ appears.

If they did reduce it before then, it would be tantamount to admitting that it isn't as good as the other, so called, Alphas. I suggest that they would be prepared to make a loss by low sales rather than do that.

This brings up another point - how many have they made anyway?

I'm not sure of the EDG numbering, but I have used 5 different EDG's (7x42, 8x42, and 3 off 8x32) and none of them has an end numbering of more than 1000. They might already be making a loss on them, just to show that they can compete at the highest level. Any loss they do make is likely to be infinitesimally small when set against their total revenue from their output of optics and cameras.

Still, it's fun surmising.

Stan
Stan,

I remember buying my 8x32 LX L because it cost about $100.00 less than the Swarovski 8x30 SCL which I really wanted. Their prices were always nip and tuck with each other. I just checked the box for its papers and I bought it on January 9, 2006 from Eagle Optics for $859.99.

I like it a lot. I found it very easy to use. The eye placement is harder for me on the 8x30SLC which I later purchased after Swarovski discontinued it around 2011.

As to how many EDGs Nikon has made the only clue I have is from the two 10x32s I owned 4 years apart. Their SNs are about 270 numbers apart. But then 10x32s are the lowest sellers among the Alpha formats and I also do not know if Nikon continued the SN sequence from the EDG I to the EDG II or started anew again.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Saturday 18th October 2014 at 02:04.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: