• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Premier SE eye cups- FYI (1 Viewer)

I wonder if replacement eyecups are something that could be "printed" on one of those new 3-D printers. And while we're at it, maybe we could print some rainguards that actually fit.

I wonder if replacement eyecups are something that could be "printed" on one of those new 3-D printers. And while we're at it, maybe we could print some rainguards that actually fit.

Peat Moss,

Good idea! Certainly, the rainguards could be made, I've seen 3-D printers make plastic parts for medical devices that have very tight tolerances. Not sure about rubber. It might need to be extruded.

Update: I did a search, and it seems that you can do 3-D printing with synthetic rubber:

3D Printing With Rubber-like Material

Cow Manure

Last edited:

The rainguard is made to fit over the eyecups when they are rolled down for glasses user, such as me and in that case fit very snugly. If they were made to fit the extended eyecups more tightly, they wouldn't fit at all when the eyecups are rolled down. The only answer is to have 2 different models.

Stan

eye cups

9k=

eye cups

eyecups.jpg

For anyone who may be doubting that Nikon really shipped my the eye cups free of charge, here is a picture! You guys should try again!

Last edited:
Brock: Thx for the research. I'd seen a TV story where a sneaker manufacturer had used a 3D printer to make a prototype sneaker that was actually wearable, so I kind of figured that these could work with flexible materials. As far as eyecups are concerned, I suppose one advantage of this method is that once the basic shape of the eyecup is scanned, it would be possible to vary certain dimensions such as the height of the eyecup. For people who felt the original eyecups were too short, they could print taller ones, and not have to Molcet it anymore. People who like winged eyecups could get those too. For me, I need to fold my eyecups in half to get the right height, so I could get lower profile ones. Just waiting for the cost and availability of 3D printing to improve....

Brock, Pete,

Why doesn't somebody here invest in one of those 3D printers and start making the eye cups?

Everybody here is looking for money saving devices that will make binoculars less expensive.

Bob

success! Here's confirmation of the secret code for getting SE eyecups.

raptorbfl,

I decided to try one more time, and this time I did as you suggested in your other thread on this topic http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=288555 .

I didn't get the name of the customer service rep I talked to, but when I asked her about eyecups for the Nikon Superior E and gave her the part number 7636, she looked it up and said "sure, that should be no problem." Apparently, asking for it as a Superior E rather than a Premier SE part makes all the difference. The part is listed for the 10x42, but when I pointed out that it was identical to the eyecup for the 8x32 (which I have) she agreed and said it would be no problem. She looked up my two previous requests for SE eyecups and said that the fact that I'd been refused previously was of no consequence: since the 7636 part was listed as available, she said it could be ordered and shipped. Unlike with my previous two requests, I did not receive a follow-up e-mail referencing my request, but a pair of SE eyecups arrived in the mail a week later! They were shipped from Nikon Inc. in Louisville, KY and are are listed as sold to "Nikon Customer Relations Free Goods" in Melville, NY. Sad that the previous customer reps and the repairs dept could not steer me to this solution, especially given that they asked for my bin's serial number (which I provided) and thus should have been able to tell that I have a Superior E, not a Premier SE (Note for anyone confused by this post: those bins are, as far as I know, identical, except perhaps for coating updates and maybe glass type).

Thanks for the suggestion! With any luck, it will go easier for everyone else following this advice (until Nikon runs out of Superior E eyecups!).

--AP

Last edited:
Brock: Thx for the research. I'd seen a TV story where a sneaker manufacturer had used a 3D printer to make a prototype sneaker that was actually wearable, so I kind of figured that these could work with flexible materials. As far as eyecups are concerned, I suppose one advantage of this method is that once the basic shape of the eyecup is scanned, it would be possible to vary certain dimensions such as the height of the eyecup. For people who felt the original eyecups were too short, they could print taller ones, and not have to Molcet it anymore. People who like winged eyecups could get those too. For me, I need to fold my eyecups in half to get the right height, so I could get lower profile ones. Just waiting for the cost and availability of 3D printing to improve....

Yes, when the price comes down I could start a sports optics aftermarket business, making eyecups, covers and perhaps even armoring for older binoculars that no longer have replacement parts.

Here's something interesting. I've had SE eyecups in two types of materials. The earlier ones felt like rubber, the later ones felt like Latex, more of a "plasticy" feel, and they are a bit thinner.

Brock

Still shipping as of August 2016

I took three calls and two emails, but I was able to get three replacement pairs shipped for my SE's. Being kind and persistent was key. I eventually spoke with Tim through the Sports Optics customer service line and received the eyecups three days later.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back