• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tern i.d. help n.y. (1 Viewer)

glide133

I saw these few terns today on long island some stood out and im no expert on identifying them.any help is appreciated

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1529281477039.jpg
    FB_IMG_1529281477039.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 78
  • FB_IMG_1529281499150.jpg
    FB_IMG_1529281499150.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 72
  • FB_IMG_1529281536619.jpg
    FB_IMG_1529281536619.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 130
  • FB_IMG_1529281524414.jpg
    FB_IMG_1529281524414.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 119
#1 looks like a mix of Common and Forster's.
#2 is Forster's.
#3 is Gull-billed (nice!).
#4, I think, is Sandwich, but hopefully someone else can chime in on this (Roseate, except for all-black, bulky bill?).

Last edited:
#2 is Forster's.
#4, I think, is Sandwhich, but hopefully someone else can chime in on this (Roseate, except for all-black, bulky bill?).

4 can't be Sandwich (or Cabot's) as they have dark legs + photo shows red.
Would say Roseate.

Agree on others.

#2 is Forster's.
#4, I think, is Sandwich, but hopefully someone else can chime in on this (Roseate, except for all-black, bulky bill?).

Im not completely sure that 3 is a Gull-billed. It would seem to be the best candidate in some ways, the bill is black and so is the head, which leaves likely candidates as Roseate or Gull-billed, but the legs look proportionately too short, the overall size and shape seems off and and the gape is too short for normal. I get a mixed feeling of it looks wrong and what else could it be. The photo shows a weird angle but I would also expect the bill to be thicker. I wonder if common term is an option... admittedly it is a stretch but it just looks wrong for a slam dunk Gill-billed in my opinion.

Im not completely sure that 3 is a Gull-billed. It would seem to be the best candidate in some ways, the bill is black and so is the head, which leaves likely candidates as Roseate or Gull-billed, but the legs look proportionately too short, the overall size and shape seems off and and the gape is too short for normal. I get a mixed feeling of it looks wrong and what else could it be. The photo shows a weird angle but I would also expect the bill to be thicker. I wonder if common term is an option... admittedly it is a stretch but it just looks wrong for a slam dunk Gill-billed in my opinion.

I am also fairly certain that 3 is not a Gull-billed Tern. I am strongly leaning Common actually, but admit I am going back and forth between Common and Roseate(the only other option for me).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back