• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 SE? (1 Viewer)

Both the 8 x 32 and 10 x 42 are superb! The 10 x 42 though, at least for me, is on the edge of hand holdability. I much prefer using it while sitting down at a Hawk Watching site rather than carrying it around for general use. The 8 x 32 is much easier to use in that respect. If you really want a binocular to carry and use while you are bicycling, I highly recommend the Nikon 8 x 30 EII. Now that one is real easy to use. And it has an 8.8 degree panoramic FOV. If you can find one!!
Bob

Be careful with SE's.

I've logged countless hours on my 8X32 SE and I love it. The 10X42 SE might share the same housing, prism, etc. but it's a different binocular. It's longer, less stable with a rather narrow field of view. Compared side by side, the differences between the 8X32 and 10X42 are apparent.

I'm quite certain the 8X32, 10X42 and 12X50 SE's share identical housings, prisms, and eyepieces. Objectives and focal lengths obviously differ, but I believe everything else is a match. I was very tempted to buy the 10X42 SE but I just couldn't get comfortable with the magnification or field of view. Still, the 10X42 and 12X50 SE's are superb optically and I'm sure there are many satisfied users.

Henry can correct me on this but I think the 8X32 SE is the best of the SE line. It appears as if the stubby 32mm objective was attached to the prism housing as an afterthought. I'll bet Nikon designed the prism for the 10X (which came first) and then simply added shorter and longer tubes for the 8X and 12X models. My eyes tell me the winner of this design is the 8X32. After more than 1000 hours of use (it could be close to 2000 by now) I am heavily biased toward the 8X32 SE, in spite of all its faults.

The point is all SE's are not equal. Caveat Emptor!

John

I agree with this John.... To a point.... I, as I'm sure you all know by now, own the set of SE's (8,10,&12's). There is no doubt that the 8x's are the WOW bin of the bunch! They just amaze every time they are put to my eyes. They are easy to hold, seem to have the best 3-d effect (probably due to the FOV), and the least detectable aberrations (probably due to the power). They are just an amazing bin!
But, the other two do some things better. And I find myself using the 10x much much more than the 8x. Truth be told I haven't used the 8's but a couple times for extended views. The 10's and 12's get used more with me. The reason is that I personally use mine more for game and astro viewing than for canopy bird viewing and the 10's and 12's are just better for these niches. But that's just me and I can tell you they all are winners and fantastic bins! A bin that is so good that they were designed a decade ago and still gushed over by all of us here! That saying something!

Believe it or not my first "real" birding bin's were (are) some Russian military surplus 12x IF's. By no means glamorous but I can see raptors well enough to ID and enjoy. As I'm not sure what constitutes extended viewing I think I do O.K. The color rendition stinks but contrast is close to amazing so I keep them in the truck.
I have tried many 10x's and holdability seems fine. It's all in the technique I guess. Gotta Breathe!

Have had a number of SEs since they first came out. Currently, have only the 8x32 and 12x50. The 8x32 would be the last binocular I would give up. But the 12x50 is a superb binocular for the quick glance and when sitting with elbows resting on knees; it is only surpassed by my Zeiss 15x60s. which is in a class by itself. The 10x42 just seems to lack the ergonomics for its size. John

Have had a number of SEs since they first came out. Currently, have only the 8x32 and 12x50. The 8x32 would be the last binocular I would give up. But the 12x50 is a superb binocular for the quick glance and when sitting with elbows resting on knees; it is only surpassed by my Zeiss 15x60s. which is in a class by itself. The 10x42 just seems to lack the ergonomics for its size. John
That's the thing about the SE line.... Every one is just SOOOOO good in their respective class! They just never stop wowing you and to think that they were born almost 15 years ago just stuns me! A eternity in bin tech life!

Well , they arrived today.. 10x42's! Being used they could definitely use a good wash. Only one small mark (2 or 3 mm line actually) on the objective that may or may not come out when cleaned. Gotta remember they're not waterproof.
It was almost dark when I got home so no official WOW! But from what I did see I'm not disappointed at all. A bit smaller than expected so I will be taking them on bike rides. Yee-ha!

It's cleaning time boy and girls!

Well , they arrived today.. 10x42's! Being used they could definitely use a good wash. Only one small mark (2 or 3 mm line actually) on the objective that may or may not come out when cleaned. Gotta remember they're not waterproof.
It was almost dark when I got home so no official WOW! But from what I did see I'm not disappointed at all. A bit smaller than expected so I will be taking them on bike rides. Yee-ha!

It's cleaning time boy and girls!

Your gonna love them! I just had mine out Labor day, very early, and they performed flawlessly. As I knew they would... They are just the best bin out, bar none!
Take the time to learn the bin and learn how to correctly hold them.... It takes a couple of outings for most.
And one last thing... Yes, don't drop them in the pool but don't be afraid to use them in the weather either! Yes they are not water proof and sealed and purged... But they are not water suction pumps either! I have had mine out in both the rain and in almost freezing weather and have yet to have them fog or have water leak into them!

That's IT! I'm officially optically spoiled! Nikon SE, Zen Ray, Pentax and Fujinon have satisfied my optics cravings for a very long time to come without breaking the bank! (Well, maybe 1 more ep for the spotter ;) )
I took the SE's to the local patch and... WOW! Maybe it comes from having to wear specs since I was less than 2 yrs old but there's almost a tangible satisfaction in looking at the natural world through High grade optics. Nothing short of Incredible!

Hi Yippee, I am glad you like your 10SE. I just sold mine on here not that long ago to help buy the 8SE off someone on here. I miss the ten a lot but every time I look through the 8SE I am happy. I have a 12SE and wanted a bigger difference in magnification and couldn't afford to keep all three at this time.

Regards,Steve

Ardy,

Please advise when they arrive. I'm interested too.

Will do.Also the company name I was billed from is called "Out Of This World".I checked the Nikon site and saw that they are an authorized seller,so you're backed by a solid warranty.

Got the SE'S today.Man these are some sharp glass.Watching the football game on tv with them now!
Feels just like being there!

Last edited:
too funny! "just like being there"! except for the pixels... rats!

well ardy you either have it bad for bins or are rapidly getting there... curtain rods, ironing boards and paintings of dogs playing pool are also entirely appropriate targets for indoor binning!

i paid $460 for my 8X SE's sometime in the early '00's, and they remain one of my most cherished non-IS 'nocs,

congrats and enjoy,

regards,
UTC

well ardy you either have it bad for bins or are rapidly getting there... curtain rods, ironing boards and paintings of dogs playing pool are also entirely appropriate targets for indoor binning!

UTC

How'd you know about my paintings?I was just glassing the "Velvet Elvis" and the clarity of the fibers was unbelievable!
I don't mean to misjudge anyone on this forum:eek!:,but from what I have seen would it presumptuous to think that a high percentage of us have a very slight obsessive compulsive disorder:-O
I'll have more on my views through these binos tomorrow.

More and more enamoured with these SE's. I'm actually developing greater confidence in ID-ing (?) birds because of the combo of 10x and resolution/clarity.
I've been driving by a puddle/pond on my way to and from work and seeing some type of pipers milling about quite often. Even with my Pentax scope at 27x scope I still wouldn't call it 100%. Today I stopped and looked, again, and lo and behold a Solitary Sandpiper it is. These things even pick out the red on the wings of Red winged black birds at close to a 1/2 mile away!
Tommorrow morning our first major excursion with them plus migration season kicking in.....

I don't know how often they appear on ebay and classified websites and if people are willing to wait. :smoke:

I've been checking eBay for weeks, with no luck until today. An hour ago I bought mint 8x32 SEs for $470 including shipping. The seller listed it as a Buy It Now item, and I waited about thirty seconds before completing the transaction. I'm really looking forward to getting these in about a week.

I wonder why SEs are special order? If exisiting stock is sold out, do you think Nikon is planning a special production run?

Good job, Allan! The SE's in that listing seem to be in excellent condition. Let us know how you like them when you receive them.

I don't know if Nikon is still making them or not. B&H still have them as special-order items, with estimated delivery time of "6-10 weeks (subject to availability)".

Ning

More and more enamoured with these SE's. I'm actually developing greater confidence in ID-ing (?) birds because of the combo of 10x and resolution/clarity.
I've been driving by a puddle/pond on my way to and from work and seeing some type of pipers milling about quite often. Even with my Pentax scope at 27x scope I still wouldn't call it 100%. Today I stopped and looked, again, and lo and behold a Solitary Sandpiper it is. These things even pick out the red on the wings of Red winged black birds at close to a 1/2 mile away!
Tommorrow morning our first major excursion with them plus migration season kicking in.....

Yippeekiay, 10x SE's gives you a positive ID, while 27x scope doesn't??!! :eek!: Is the scope mounted, or is the optics that bad?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back