• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens shade stuck on new ATM-80HD (1 Viewer)

sonofjon

Hi

Last summer I got the new ATM-80HD scope, which is awesome, except for one thing. The built-in plastic lens shade does nor slide out smoothly, in fact it is quite difficult to pull out as it get stuck if you don't carefully pull it out parallel to the optical path. When using the standard Swaro-bag, which mounts on-top of the shade, that adds more friction, due to the tight fit of the bag, and it is then *very* hard to pull out the shade. Many times in the field, I have resorted unzipping the bag on both sides in order to be able to pull out the shade. This is very frustrating, as I am sure you can understand.

Has anybody else come across this problem on the new ATM scopes. When I purchased my scope the salesman told me this was a common feature with the new ATMs and he encouraged me to contact Swarovski for a solution. I have not done this yet.

I am thinking one could perhaps apply some lubricant to the sliding surface of the scope. Anybody got experience on this or advice. Thanks.

Sonofjon,

I wouldn't recomend applying any lubricant. My advice would be to contact Swarovski as there after sales service is second to none.

ATB, Neil.

Thanks Parker,

I'll look into contacting Swarovski here in Canada. Still, I'd be interested to hear from other ATM owners.

Last edited:
Hi -

If you look inside the front of the lens shade, there is a thin groove about 8 - 10mm down the barrel of the shade. There are two of them - in conjunction with some sort spring mechanism, of they "lock" the shade either fully out or fully in place, so it does not slide in or out on its own while you are in the field. A firm tug gets the shade to move.

I suspect that when you have the cordura case on, the snugness of the case along with the lock mechanism makes your life miserable when trying to extend the sun shade. Sorry 'bout that.

Once you have started pulling the sun shade out, is it then becoming jammed? My personal one does not show this tendency (I deliberately played with it before sitting down to answer your message). I tried to pull it out crookedly, to see if it would jam. It did not, but I could see that its movement was stiffer. I found that if it was stiff, pulling the sun shade out and simultaneously twisting it (in a corkscrew motion) made it come out smoothly in all instances.

Hope this helps,

Clay Taylor
Swarovski Optik N.A.
[email protected]

Hi

Last summer I got the new ATM-80HD scope, which is awesome, except for one thing. The built-in plastic lens shade does nor slide out smoothly, in fact it is quite difficult to pull out as it get stuck if you don't carefully pull it out parallel to the optical path. When using the standard Swaro-bag, which mounts on-top of the shade, that adds more friction, due to the tight fit of the bag, and it is then *very* hard to pull out the shade. Many times in the field, I have resorted unzipping the bag on both sides in order to be able to pull out the shade. This is very frustrating, as I am sure you can understand.

Has anybody else come across this problem on the new ATM scopes. When I purchased my scope the salesman told me this was a common feature with the new ATMs and he encouraged me to contact Swarovski for a solution. I have not done this yet.

I am thinking one could perhaps apply some lubricant to the sliding surface of the scope. Anybody got experience on this or advice. Thanks.

Dear Clay,

thanks for your reply. I apologize for the long delay. I appreciate your help.

You asked whether the sun shade becomes jammed once I have started pulling it out. Not really. I experience (1) that it very hard to pull the shade out from the inner locked position and (2) that there is an excessive amount of friction between the lens shade and the barrel of the scope when moving the shade between the inner and outer locked positions. It does not jam completely, it is only quite hard to pull out. This occurs without the cordura case on the scope. When the case is on, it makes things even worse. Then I cannot pull out the shade with hand power without unzipping the case on both sides to get a better grip and reduce friction.

The reason for the large friction could be partly due to the fact that the optical axis of the shade has a tendency to be easily jerked off the optical axis of the scope when the shade is being pulled or pushed. That is, the shade's optical axis is not locked into a parallel path with the scope. I'm not sure if this description is understandable. Essentially, with the shade half-ways pulled out, I can jiggle the front of the shade up and down slightly. Not by much, but enough to give the feeling of a poor design/fit.

I have already tried pulling the sun shade out and simultaneously twisting it (in a corkscrew motion) and this makes the outward motion slightly smoother, although it is still not smooth enough and does not help pulling the shade out of the inner locked position (I still cannot pull out the shade with the case on).

As of now I have solved this problem by putting a couple of rubber bands at the inner end of the lens shade sliding surface, preventing the shade to run all the way into the inner locked position when pushed in. With this construction I can just barely pull the shade out with the cordura case on, although now it is very difficult to close the front lid of the case since the lens shade extends a few mm farther out due to the rubber bands.

Just one final note, I don't think that there is any problem with the case being a too snug fit, the problem appears to be with the lens shade itself.

I had hoped that the shade would "wear in" and the situation to improve with time. This does not seem to be happening.

You don't recommend using a lubricant?

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back