• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray ED2 8x43 vs leicas 10x42 (1 Viewer)

Tedster

anyone ever compare these two against each other,i am gonna go compare my
8x43ED2 with my old bosses 10x42 leicas i was just wondering optically if anyone has compared the two i did a search and couldn't find one i was kind of wondering how they compare to each other

Ted

First problem you'll have is 8x vs 10X.

I have the Promaster ELX ED in 8x43 or 42 and 10x42BA Leica and had a set of the EO Atlas 10x42 ED and Swaro 8.5x42EL. The Leica are my favorite bino. Period.

The Promaster is so good I sold my EL's. The Leica was not as bright as the Atlas but I couldn't get the eye cups set to work for me so they went down the road.

Dave

i also ordered a pair of 10x43ED2 today hopefully they will be here tues. or wed. then i will be able to compare them equaly but thats not the reason for buying the 10x , i want to compare the 8x43ed2 and the 10x43ed2 for the application i will be using them for,and i will compare these 10x43ed2 w/the 10x42
leicas well i am out

When I bought my ED2's I was in the area and stopped by SWFA, one of their distributors. I compared the 8x and 10x and found them both tack sharp, with the 8x slightly brighter as you would expect. My 10x has better glass than my beloved Leica Trinovid 10x42's.

jgraider

that is amazing especially for the money,i am not sure which leica 10x42 my
old boss has but he says there the best he has looked thru so i guess when my 10x43ed2 get here tues. or wed. i am gonna compare them to his plus the 8x43ed2 as well with them,nice to know you can buy some good glass at a reasonable price and still have some to put toward a hunt......lol

Well today is tues and I got the 10x ED 2's! Haven't really had the chance to do much with them but, right out of the box these seem like a good sample! Much better combination with the 10x & 7x versus the 8x & 7x! More later! Bryce...

i just got the 10x43ed2 today also i will let you know tomorrow night if i chose the 8x or the 10x they are real close to each other

i will say i have a pair of the 8x43ed2 and the 10x43ed2 they are both very nice,clear,crisp and bright we had my buddies 12x50 leica trinovids and the zens were way better for brightness and clarity and low light i was shocked
i know it is not fair with the 12x but my other friend with the 10x42 leicas will not be home till mon. or tues. i will let you know what i think

My thoughts is that you would have to mount the 12x50 Leica to get the most out of it and really at longer distances the 12x50 "should" kick butt.:)

Regards, Steve

My thoughts is that you would have to mount the 12x50 Leica to get the most out of it and really at longer distances the 12x50 "should" kick butt.:)

Regards, Steve

Steve
i thought the 12x50 would be better to but they were not,the Zens were way better clearer,brighter and better definition.
my friend will not be back until thurs. or fri. they are not heading back till tuesday when he gets back here i want to see how the 8x43ED2 and 10x43ED2 stack up against his 10x42 Leicas,so far with the ed2 i like the 8x43 alot better than the 10x

i can't tell you anything on the 10x42 leicas because his are 12x50BN leicas also the two are brothers and hunt all over the world but this guys 12x50's seem to be a little brighter i think they probally get taken care of better,but he was impressed with these Zen Ray ED2 especially the 8x43but these Zens was brighter and clearer than his 12x50's and the Zens are way better in low light
all i can say is i am keeing the 8x43ED2 and sending the 10x43 back,nothing wrong with the bins i just like the 8x43 better

Ted

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back