• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Light bins that don't lose lens caps (1 Viewer)

sfbaywalk

I'm looking for light-weight, lower cost bins (<$200) for general hiking. Two critical features are: can't lose lens caps, and long eye relief.

Can you direct me to models that fit those requirements.

Perhaps lens cap retainers are some sort of accessory purchase?

TIA

Roy

Can you be more specific about the weight of the binocular? Less than 15 ounces? Or less than 20 ounces? The bigger they are the more there are to chose from.

Bob

Can you be more specific about the weight of the binocular? Less than 15 ounces? Or less than 20 ounces? The bigger they are the more there are to chose from.

Bob

Thanks, RED HORN's thread is serving my planning needs well.

I finally figured out that I can buy tethered object lens covers as an accessory.

Is there an accessory whereby the eyepiece lens cover(s) is somehow also tethered --- say to the strap?

Most binoculars come with a one piece ocular cover that can be attached to the strap. Usually it will hang from one of the straps when not in use.

But it can be hard finding objective lens covers for binoculars that have objective lens of less than 32mm. I have a very good lightweight (14oz) 9 x 28 Pentax LV that costs about $200.00 which does not have objective covers and I find it doesn't need them because the lenses are set very deeply inside the tubes.

Bob

One of the best small bino values around is the recently discontinued 8x28 Bushnell Excursion which can be had for about $84. They have phase coated prisms, 417 ft FOV, 15 oz, waterproof, lifetime warranty, and have both tethered flip down objective covers as well as the usual 1 pc tethered objective rainguard. They are simply an incredible optical value for the $$ and I have never understood why Bushnell deleted such a great little bino from their lineup. Guess at the price they originally sold for most people thought they were overpriced for the small size.
http://www.opticsale.com/bushnell-excursion-binoculars-319-ctg.html

If you like the small reverse porros, you might look at the 8x25 Olympus Tracker PCI or the 8x25 Nikon Prostaff, but neither have objective lens covers since the lens is recessed up in the body.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back