Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Regarding Nikon Se

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 30th October 2013, 21:14   #376
brocknroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantien View Post
What a great idea! Works well for me and I don't have to keep them folded down either. Just the right amount of clearance for my glasses.
Good to hear! I have my older 8x EII's eyecups upside down, too, since those eyecups have also flared out from use. The best view I get with the EIIs is by using the Field Optics winged eye shields as the eyecups. The depth of the shields is too low for most binoculars, but it works just fine on the 13.5mm ER EII and allows me to see the entire 70* AFOV.

Only problem is w/out the original eyecups on too (the shields are usually added on top of the eyecups (see photo in link below), the FO winged can easily fall off. I lost one FO eye shield in the park a few days ago when it fell off my EII. I tried to retrace my steps, but with so many leaves on the ground, it was like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack. Today, I want out to the park and lo and behold what did I find? (Frank would leave you in suspense for another paragraph,but I'm going to get right to it... momentarily....:-), but the lost FO eyecup. I realize now that I'm going to need to rubber cement them on.

FO eye shields

One thing that I've mentioned before and which your diagram brought to mind is that the manufacturer assumes that everybody has perfectly symmetrical faces. In the case of bins with small exit pupils or with spherical aberration of the exit pupil like the SEs, eye placement can be critical, so if your one eye is a few mm closer or farther from the center post than the other eye, or a few mm above or below axis than the other, you could experience image blackouts. I hope someday they invent a bin with bin EPs that work independently from each other so that instead of you conforming to the bins' perfect symmetry, the EPs will be adjustable to your quirky IPD.

<B>
Old Thursday 31st October 2013, 16:57   #377
Alexis Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocknroller View Post
...I hope someday they invent a bin with bin EPs that work independently from each other so that instead of you conforming to the bins' perfect symmetry, the EPs will be adjustable to your quirky IPD...
I don't get it. Why would you need this? Even if one eye is slightly higher or closer to your nose than the other, your total IPD is still a linear distance.

--AP
Old Thursday 31st October 2013, 18:22   #378
Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post
I don't get it. Why would you need this? Even if one eye is slightly higher or closer to your nose than the other, your total IPD is still a linear distance.
Even worse: This would make the bins even more complicated than they are right now (with very close focussing, and so on), introducing even more things that can go wrong (and probably will). And how many people would actually profit from such changes? 0.5%? 1%? Great stuff, that's just what we need. Anyone for a built-in microwave oven?

What I'd prefer to see is "simple" bins, but with excellent optics and mechanics. I personally don't even need more than simple fold-down rubber eyecups, provided they're as well-made as those of the Zeiss Classic binoculars. I also don't need to be able to use my bins as a field microscope, as long as they focus to about 3 metres I'm fine.

Hermann
Old Monday 4th November 2013, 19:16   #379
bonesmalones

So I had my 8x32 EDG and 10x42 SE Premiere porros out yesterday doing a side by side comparison. First observation is that BOTH of them are seriously good. The view from the EDG is just there when you put them to your eyes. Effortless. Amazing. The SE 10x42 is almost as good to my eyes. The 3D effect is stunning. DOF is better I think on the SE. They aren't as effortless as the EDG. It takes more work to get the outstanding view. I'm more than satisfied with both of them. I think I'll keep them...
Old Tuesday 12th November 2013, 17:49   #380
CSG

Well, once again, I've come to my senses and withdrawn my offer to sell my SE's. Been doing a lot of side by side comparing with my Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32's and have decided that the SE's offer enough of a viewing difference that they are worth keeping. Better edges than the HD's (but that's not really much of a deal to me), warmer image (not better, just different), and that 3D effect. Even had I gotten my best price, the money I have in the SE's and HD's together is less than the 8x32 FL's would cost me.
Minolta 6x20, Vortex Fury 6.5x32, Jason 7x50, Nikon SE 8x32, Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, Zeiss Terra ED 8x42, Zeiss Victory HT 8x42, Zeiss Victory 10x25, Canon 10x30 IS, Garrett 25x100 IF, Kowa TSN-883 w/25-60x WA, Televue Pronto, Televue TV-85
Old Tuesday 12th November 2013, 17:56   #381
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
Well, once again, I've come to my senses and withdrawn my offer to sell my SE's. Been doing a lot of side by side comparing with my Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32's and have decided that the SE's offer enough of a viewing difference that they are worth keeping. Better edges than the HD's (but that's not really much of a deal to me), warmer image (not better, just different), and that 3D effect. Even had I gotten my best price, the money I have in the SE's and HD's together is less than the 8x32 FL's would cost me.

CSG,

How would you compare your HT's to your SE's, all things considered?
Old Tuesday 12th November 2013, 18:19   #382
CSG

I haven't really compared them as they are different objective sizes.
Minolta 6x20, Vortex Fury 6.5x32, Jason 7x50, Nikon SE 8x32, Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, Zeiss Terra ED 8x42, Zeiss Victory HT 8x42, Zeiss Victory 10x25, Canon 10x30 IS, Garrett 25x100 IF, Kowa TSN-883 w/25-60x WA, Televue Pronto, Televue TV-85
Old Tuesday 12th November 2013, 22:39   #383
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
That is a smart move, you are now realizing how good the SE is.
For some it is a good reference standard.

Enjoy in good health.

Jerry
Old Friday 29th November 2013, 05:14   #384
brocknroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post

--AP
AP,

If you have an SE and had eyes that were not equidistant from the center of your nose, you'd get it all right. Right between the eyes.

While my total ID is a linear distance, it's not the same linear distance as the total IPD distance from the center of the SE's exit pupils. With the SE's EPs having spherical aberration of the exit pupil, eye placement is critical. BOTH eyes need to be centered on the exit pupils, but if one eye were farther from the center post than the other, you wouldn't be able to align them BOTH at the center of the exit pupils. You can do only align your eyes with one side or the other.

There is a bit of latitude, though. If I move my left eye off center toward the left edge of the eyecup and keep it perfectly positioned, I can avoid image blackouts.

In addition to my right eye being a few mm farther from the center post (and the bridge of my nose), it's also a few mm deeper set. It's not so freakishly asymmetrical that one would notice the difference like I do on Shannon Doherty, but just enough to cause image blackouts with the SE if my eyes are pressed against the eyecups (I just bought a new pair of SE eyecups, and I"m noticing this more).

Similarly, the Vixen 7x50 Foresta is prone to image blackouts (just ask mooreorless!) with the original eyecups on. The image in my left eye kept blacking out because that eye is a few mm closer to the EP. After I took the original rubber eyecups off their metal frames, which made the diameter of the eyecups uncomfortably large, and dropped old, fold down rubber Swaro eyecups inside the metal housing, I could see the entire FOV w/out image blackouts since it placed my left eye beyond that critical point.

BP
Old Monday 2nd December 2013, 14:08   #385
Alexis Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocknroller View Post
AP,

If you have an SE and had eyes that were not equidistant from the center of your nose, you'd get it all right. Right between the eyes.

While my total ID is a linear distance, it's not the same linear distance as the total IPD distance from the center of the SE's exit pupils. With the SE's EPs having spherical aberration of the exit pupil, eye placement is critical. BOTH eyes need to be centered on the exit pupils, but if one eye were farther from the center post than the other, you wouldn't be able to align them BOTH at the center of the exit pupils...
Brock, thanks for trying to explain but I still don't get it. I have an SE and my eyes/nose aren't perfectly symmetrical, but I'm not sure that's even relevant. Your problem only obtains if you insist on lining up the center post exactly with your nose and/or keeping the binoculars perfectly level with the ground. I say line up the exit pupils with your pupils and let the rest of the bin fall where it may.

Likewise, the second problem (one eye forward of the other) is solved by holding the bins at proper eye-relief in front of each eye, then rotating the eyes slightly to look down the centers of the optical axes. I'm sure many users do this without even realizing it.

--AP

Last edited by Alexis Powell : Monday 2nd December 2013 at 14:18.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: