Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon Monarch 7 new 8x30 and 10x30

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 12th November 2013, 15:41   #76
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
No rumors just facts. A 25mm compact out resolving a 30mm binocular does not look good for the Nikon Monarch 7's 10x30. When I had the Nikon Monarch 7's 8x42 they were the least sharp of any of the binoculars I compared it with and among those included several sub $300 Chinese ED binoculars. Several people also have commented about their lack of sharpness also so I think it is a common complaint. The Nikon Monarch 7's didn't score very well at Allbinos either. With the much less expensive Vixen New Foresta HR 8x42 WP scoring within 1 point of them. HaHa!

Allbinos has not reviewed the 10 x 30 Monarch 7 yet.

It's not surprising that binoculars priced $500.00 to $1500.00 could be perceived to be sharper than $350.00 binoculars.

As far as the binoculars closer in price to the Monarchs I am wondering if you did Dennis's fabulous, eye-opening DVD test for Sharpness on them to come to your conclusion that the Allbinos tests were correct afterall?

In the light of your famous binocular test for sharpness and your own binocular expertise it is surprising that you would take a comment about a single binocular's sharpness and test scores, combine it with allbinos test scores and unconfirmed comments from users of another Monarch 7 binocular of a different format and impute the same results to the new 10 x 30 Monarch which is still unreleased for use here in the USA.

That is bad science, Dennis. You should at least purchase one and give it the DVD test! You can always send it back. All it will cost you is postage and a restocking fee! What could be more reasonable when your reputation as an expert is a stake?

Go for it!

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 13th November 2013, 00:19   #77
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Allbinos has not reviewed the 10 x 30 Monarch 7 yet.

It's not surprising that binoculars priced $500.00 to $1500.00 could be perceived to be sharper than $350.00 binoculars.

As far as the binoculars closer in price to the Monarchs I am wondering if you did Dennis's fabulous, eye-opening DVD test for Sharpness on them to come to your conclusion that the Allbinos tests were correct afterall?

In the light of your famous binocular test for sharpness and your own binocular expertise it is surprising that you would take a comment about a single binocular's sharpness and test scores, combine it with allbinos test scores and unconfirmed comments from users of another Monarch 7 binocular of a different format and impute the same results to the new 10 x 30 Monarch which is still unreleased for use here in the USA.

That is bad science, Dennis. You should at least purchase one and give it the DVD test! You can always send it back. All it will cost you is postage and a restocking fee! What could be more reasonable when your reputation as an expert is a stake?

Go for it!
I will when they get them in stock. But I fear from what I am hearing that the 8x30 is going to be like the 8x42 regarding sharpness. I will let you know how they compare to my Swarovision's 8x32 and my Zeiss Conquests 8x32 HD's. I admit that is unfair competition but they are all I have right now for comparison. I am glad you respect my skill in testing sharpness with my ground breaking DVD test.
Old Wednesday 13th November 2013, 08:12   #78
kestrel1

Also had M7 8x42, and it does not match center resolution of 8x32SE 503xxx /edges had even bigger difference/, and compared SE to SV8,5x42 and resolution was similar, but contrast and whiteness of image was better in SV / edges was better in SV with no fall off SE has fall of in the last 10%/.
Old Wednesday 13th November 2013, 13:10   #79
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel1 View Post
Also had M7 8x42, and it does not match center resolution of 8x32SE 503xxx /edges had even bigger difference/, and compared SE to SV8,5x42 and resolution was similar, but contrast and whiteness of image was better in SV / edges was better in SV with no fall off SE has fall of in the last 10%/.
That is not a surprise. Why would you expect it to be as good as the SE and SV?

The Monarch 7 was never meant to compete with the Swarovision which costs almost $2000.00 more. If it was that good it would also be competing with the Nikon EDG which costs about the same as the SV and that wouldn't make sense would it?

What we should be asking is why is Swarovski not making binoculars in the same price range as the Monarch 7 to compete with it!

As for the Nikon SE, everybody knows by now that it is one of the sharpest porro prism binoculars ever made but even with it's low price it's sales are limited because of a number of other reasons which have been discussed on this forum ad infinitum!

Bob

“Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious.” George Orwell

Last edited by ceasar : Wednesday 13th November 2013 at 13:24.

Old Wednesday 13th November 2013, 16:45   #80
FrankD

Quote:
What we should be asking is why is Swarovski not making binoculars in the same price range as the Monarch 7 to compete with it!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...1LMvsLF0DExoog
Old Wednesday 13th November 2013, 22:14   #81
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel1 View Post
That is exactly how I feel. Right down to the 10%. Perfect.
Old Wednesday 13th November 2013, 22:17   #82
[email protected]

Quote:

The Monarch 7 was never meant to compete with the Swarovision which costs almost $2000.00 more. If it was that good it would also be competing with the Nikon EDG which costs about the same as the SV and that wouldn't make sense would it?

As for the Nikon SE, everybody knows by now that it is one of the sharpest porro prism binoculars ever made but even with it's low price it's sales are limited because of a number of other reasons which have been discussed on this forum ad infinitum!

Bob

“Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious.” George Orwell
Swarovski doesn't make Nikon's. Just like Ferrari doesn't make Chevy's.
Old Thursday 14th November 2013, 00:52   #83
ceasar

Quote:
Then why do you want to compare them?

Old Thursday 14th November 2013, 01:15   #84
NDhunter

Quote:

Bob

Bob:

You are right on with this post, and why are so many here on a Nikon
Monarch 7 post, trying to compare it to other binoculars that are on a
different level.

Swarovski should not even enter the conversation here.

I suppose I should post about the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 and how
great the optics are. And that I do find them very close to the
Swarovski 8x32 EL.

These comparisons are mute.

Jerry
Old Thursday 14th November 2013, 01:55   #85
cycleguy

Not much out there in the x30 format to compare them to.

CG
Old Thursday 14th November 2013, 02:08   #86
ceasar

You can compare them to 32mm binoculars in their price range, $350.00 plus or minus.

This is the first time Nikon ever made an inexpensive roof prism in the 30/32mm price range. Prior to this their smallest inexpensive roof prisms were 8 x 36 and 10 x 36. Excluding their compacts of course. The 8/10 x 32 LX Ls and EDGs were and are Alphas.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Thursday 14th November 2013 at 02:14.

Old Thursday 14th November 2013, 03:13   #87
[email protected]

Quote:
Then why do you want to compare them?
I am comparing the Swarovision's with the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 not The Nikon. The Zeiss is more like a Mercedes. A more equal comparison.
Old Thursday 14th November 2013, 03:51   #88
ceasar

Quote:
I am comparing the Swarovision's with the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 not The Nikon. The Zeiss is more like a Mercedes. A more equal comparison.
Yes. That is more like it.

But Kestrel was comparing the Monarch 7s to the Nikon SE and Swarovski SV and you agreed with him. This is a Nikon thread on the Monarch 7's 8 and 10 x 30s so I naturally thought you were comparing them to the Swarovisions.

Last edited by ceasar : Thursday 14th November 2013 at 03:54.

Old Thursday 14th November 2013, 14:53   #89
kestrel1

Year ago I traded M7 x42 to SE because of optical superiority of SE. Before some months traded SE for Trinovid BN, but it is another story.
I expected bigger step up of M7 from older Monarchs, when ordered 8x42 /probably was first in Slovakia/, Optical performance not surprised me ,for 470€ and manufacture in China expected that it will compete to Conquest HD. On the other hand, M7 has nice housing, fell good in hand, and finally introduces scratch resistant coating. Allbinos mentioned that gauge of tubes was loose, I noticed it also, but adjust it by screw in hinge. Maybe M7 x30 will have similar problem. Now I waiting /dreaming/ for M9 , with Field flatener and Apo triplet objective with ED glass, and water repellent coating, because I like Nikon as company with one of best technologic know how, competitive to famous europe manufacturers
Old Thursday 14th November 2013, 15:48   #90
ceasar

The SEs have Field Flatteners. Monarch 7s have ED glass The EDG's have both. None have water repelling lenses that I know of.

I think you will wait a long time for a triplet APO.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Thursday 14th November 2013 at 20:52.

Old Thursday 14th November 2013, 20:16   #91
dalat

I passed a large electronics retailer today and they happend to have the Monarch 10x30 on display. I had a quick look in less than ideal conditions (artificial light, greasy lenses and no better bin to compare with), but what I saw is bascially in line with what crinklystarfish reported above.

It fits my hands very well, and is really an nice compact binocular. Finishing and mechanics are more than ok for the price point. I couldn't really judge the last bit of sharpness in the said conditions, but it's certainly good enough to be a good buy, again considering the price (which is still a bit high but that will go down I expect).

The least I can say, this should be a great back-up bin for travels (even if you get your Swaro stolen, you still will enjoy the trip as much with these Monarchs) or a perfect option for those who don't see the point in spending fortunes.
Old Friday 15th November 2013, 02:15   #92
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalat View Post
I passed a large electronics retailer today and they happend to have the Monarch 10x30 on display. I had a quick look in less than ideal conditions (artificial light, greasy lenses and no better bin to compare with), but what I saw is bascially in line with what crinklystarfish reported above.

It fits my hands very well, and is really an nice compact binocular. Finishing and mechanics are more than ok for the price point. I couldn't really judge the last bit of sharpness in the said conditions, but it's certainly good enough to be a good buy, again considering the price (which is still a bit high but that will go down I expect).

The least I can say, this should be a great back-up bin for travels (even if you get your Swaro stolen, you still will enjoy the trip as much with these Monarchs) or a perfect option for those who don't see the point in spending fortunes.
Yea, you know the Nikon Monarch 7 is NOT going to be a Swarovision for less than $400.00. I guess what really matters is if it competes well at it's price point.
Old Friday 15th November 2013, 12:22   #93
RJM
Don't Worry, Be Happy!

I finally got around to a shop and saw these Monarch 7 8x/10x30 for the first time. Unfortunately, gloomy rainy day here so did not spend too much time. Typical Monarch quality...precise focus, nice armor, excellent tethered lens caps, VERY LIGHT. The 8x has some field curvature as it main aberration. The 10x may have some rolling ball. Neither had much pincushion. Impossible to test for any CA given the conditions. Tempted to buy the 8x as they sell for right at JPY30,000. But then they would the most expensive binocular I own!
Old Friday 15th November 2013, 15:06   #94
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM View Post
I finally got around to a shop and saw these Monarch 7 8x/10x30 for the first time. Unfortunately, gloomy rainy day here so did not spend too much time. Typical Monarch quality...precise focus, nice armor, excellent tethered lens caps, VERY LIGHT. The 8x has some field curvature as it main aberration. The 10x may have some rolling ball. Neither had much pincushion. Impossible to test for any CA given the conditions. Tempted to buy the 8x as they sell for right at JPY30,000. But then they would the most expensive binocular I own!
That's $300.00 dollars! That is cheap! Buy them or buy them and ship them to me. What else do you have?
Old Saturday 16th November 2013, 02:16   #95
RJM
Don't Worry, Be Happy!

Nikon 12x50SE JPY28,000
Nikon 8x/10x EII ~JPY22,000ea.
Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8x42 (2x) US$190
Bushnell Excursion 8x28 US$70
Canon 5x15 JPY7,000

Dennis, you can buy the new Nikons from Amazon JP and use Tenso.com forwarding service.
Old Saturday 16th November 2013, 03:34   #96
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM View Post
Nikon 12x50SE JPY28,000
Nikon 8x/10x EII ~JPY22,000ea.
Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8x42 (2x) US$190
Bushnell Excursion 8x28 US$70
Canon 5x15 JPY7,000

Dennis, you can buy the new Nikons from Amazon JP and use Tenso.com forwarding service.
That international shipping is pricey. They should have them here in another week or so. I just bought the Zeiss Conquest's 8x32 HD's so I can wait. If I didn't like them they would be harder to return also. I really like the Conquest's. Alpha level for less than $1K.
Old Monday 18th November 2013, 15:51   #97
[email protected]

Quote:
Not a good analogy at all since Nikon also makes some of the best binos available. A better analogy would be Swaro makes binos of Ferrai quality and doesn't bother with Chevy quality products while Nikon chooses to make both. In other words you aren't comparing apples with apples.

Steve
Old Monday 18th November 2013, 17:23   #98
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
............ In other words you aren't comparing apples with apples.

Steve
No surprise there!
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 18th November 2013, 17:23   #99
[email protected]

It is still a good analogy . Swarovski still has more panache than Nikon. A Corvette will run with a Ferrari but you still get more girls in the Ferrari. HaHa! Also, the cool thing about a Swaro is not every Tom Dick and Henry can afford one like a low end Nikon or Zenray or god forbid Bushnell. It is an exclusive club like owning a Ferrari.

Last edited by [email protected] : Monday 18th November 2013 at 22:51.
Old Monday 18th November 2013, 22:07   #100
ceasar

Quote:
It is still a good analogy . ...................... .
No it isn't!

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: