• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Portable Hides (1 Viewer)

Barry Boswell

This is aimed mainly at uk members especially if they can give me good advice on where to purchase in the UK.

Having taken up digiscoping some months ago I have come to learn the importance of being as close as possible to the birds you want to photograph. I live in the south midlands, well away from most good RSPB reserves etc but in the middle of some great countryside and I am looking to buy a portable hide. I can find several for sale on diferent web sites (mostly rather overpriced, it seems to me), but would welcome any information before I commit to buying one.

So, if anyone has experience of such things and can make recommendations on types, sizes, weight etc. I would like to hear from them.

Thanks, Barry Boswell.

Hi Barry

Had one of these made by Jamie (something or other for the life of me can't remember) anyway it was a bit like a camping toilet tent held up with poles. I don't know why I bought the thing and never did use it too cumbersome and extra weight to carry out in the field.

I believe there is something now called a Dome hide which collapses quite small, no idea of the price but if it is over £100 why don't you consider on of those small tents that come with fibreglass poles. I believe these can be bought quite cheaply, and the only prob I can see is the colour they do tend to be bright?

Just a thought

Pete

Thanks Pete and Nigel for the response. I did find the dome hides offered on the Warehouse Express site, and I was trying to find out if anyone had positive feedback on them or knew of alternatives. At around £200 they seem very expensive to buy on a whim and just to try out.

Barry Boswell.

Check e-bay... i didn't ;) Ordered a dome hide and then ten minutes later saw one on e-bay. Careful where you store it, my old fensman hide was eaten away by mice. Kevin Keatley does some cheap throw-over hides, you may want to check these out... though, because they're not rigid, you have to keep very still otherwise your movement will impact on your set-up ... not so bad with dslr+long lens but maybe a problem with digiscoping and the low shutter-speeds you often have to work with.

cheers,
Andy

souterman said:
I think that's just a basic pigeon shooting hide... effectively a big strip of realtree fabric. Every now and again a Keatley hide comes up. I think there are some pop-up dome shooting hides, not sure if they're effective or not.

Of course, you can always make your own semi-permanent hide, using many natural materials... best suited to a specific area where you know the subject will be present (and it's less depressing if local kids wreck it, if it's good they won't find it))

cheers,
Andy

Hi Barry,
Im also looking for the right portable hide for my requirements; weight and portability being very important. As a starting point, how about trying one of those angling lean-to's? Certain high street stores stock them. As im writing this im considering having a look at these myself. I know theyre not always very strong, but with some fore thought, i reckon they could be adapted and made more suitable. Just an idea... ;) In the meantime, do let us know what you decide on.

Tom

Last edited:
Does look very tempting, although not sure i'd want to purchase it from USA. May be worth a look over here. Thanks for the link.
Tom

Hi Barry,

Used hides for many years mainly Fensmans one of which I extended vertically using aluminium poles and a velcro'd on skirt made it a lot more versatile. I also bought a lightweight toilet tent at a camping caravanning exhibition. My wife modified it by fitting a funnel and observation slits. I then went beserk with some cans of spray paint, very pleased with result (it cost a lot less than a fensman) I still trundle it out occasionally.

Stewart

:bounce:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back