• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

50D or 40D? (1 Viewer)

Thank you Christine. I suspect the point I was trying to make, albeit rather poorly, was that, touch wood, I have not had any probs with 40D to date other than being able to work the thing properly !
I reckon I will wait for the 60D to arrive and then lash out on a 50D. Which they will be giving away..HaHa.
Plus that which Rob said.......LOL.

I think plenty of photographers won't agree with that. Sports, concert, weddings and journalism are all areas where a camera that can perform well at high isos without recourse to flash are a godsend.
I've regularly used my 1d mkIII for indoor wedding shots at iso1600 and 3200 with a bit of fill flash and the result is miles better than a full power flash shot with the bride and groom looking like startled rabbits and the room like a dungeon.
On some images I convert to b/w I actually add a bit of grain into the image in photoshop to give some texture.

You're probably right but my thoughts on this were more towards birds and specifically an image posted by IanF of a Snow Bunting where he used flash is what made me think that it might give better results as to me it didn't look that unnatural at all.

Something I've not been able to try for myself yet so I don't have any personal experience but I'd certainly like to and then I'd be able to see which suits me better at least. That won't be for a good while yet though.

Cnet.co.uk - 50D review.

I don´t like what I have been reading in this reivew: Cnet.co.uk judgement:
"...the pictures are pretty average, despite that 15-megapixel sensor"
just to some extend confirmeing the reviews of dpreview, digitalcamrerainfo and supporting some claims form dissappointed users.

Certainly it´s difficult to make the 50D out based on reviews and user claims. As though people are divided up into a very satisfied group and a dissappointed group. I really have to try both (40D and 50D) out in the very near future.

Last edited:
The High ISO does work on very low light subjects, I did my Grandson Christening last Sunday and if I had to rely on the 40D I don't think I would have bothered. My husband used the 40D but just couldn't get enough light to use without flash and flash wasn't allowed. The 40D underexposes by about 1stop compared to the 50D. I took some really nice shots hand held at ISO 3200 knowing I could go higher if needed.
A link to a photo on flickr.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3063/3045888500_da2bc21c9a_o.jpg
Also this 6400 shot taken in deep shade, crappy weather under a branch.
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/222177/size/big/cat//ppuser/7407

Going on images posted in other threads on here I will have to disagree with you Jules. I, personally, suspect that you may not have picked the best example to demonstrate the good things about the 50D.
There are also a couple of comments below the pic which sum up my view entirely. It is also using the same lens as I use constantly and I have also tried to take pics from too far away with the same result. Poor piccies !

I often use 100% crops of birds that are small in the frame from the 40D. Only good for web use of course but it shows that the 40D ain't too bad ;)

Attachments

• stonechat full.jpg
    stonechat full.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 89
  • stonechat1.jpg
    stonechat1.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 127
  • shell1.jpg
    shell1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 76
  • young shell.jpg
    young shell.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 101
This an other sample of image taken with the 50D one full and the crop. No postprocessing except croping.

Attachments

• _MG_0594full.jpg
    _MG_0594full.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 84
  • _MG_0594crop.jpg
    _MG_0594crop.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 128
I do the same as I was doing with the 20/30D and 40D, I try to keep the distance from the bird to minimum for a maximum quality. Too far away and your lens can't resolve all the detail, million of MP doesn't make the difference or so little. Th most important are the picture are good or not, printable or not. In my book, the 50D deliver the quality I want with all the bell and whistle in prime. what I see here are picture with exagerate crop. Who want to see picture at 100% and 200% in real life?

This was taken today while scanning the field for fieldfares, it has a slight double image because it was taken at an angle through the kitchen window, the magpie was aprox 80yds away.
Exif is intact.

Attachments

• IMG_1989.jpg
    IMG_1989.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1989crop.jpg
    IMG_1989crop.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 106
I would rather prefer to see some crops from a bit shorter distance and then about 100% crops. On long distance shots AF struggles to hit the target IMO: So heavy crops with the 50D on long distance aren´t much useful IMO, judged from what I have seen so far.

Who want to see picture at 100% and 200% in real life?
An 100% crop is the best/only way of comparing the IQ of a particular camera or lens, this is the actual data as recorded by the sensor. 200% is of course an entirely different thing, this is up-rezing which is no good to man or beast IMO.

The 50D is obviously a very fine camera with certain enhancements from the 40D. the main upgrades as I see it are:
AF Micro adjustment, A better LCD and more MP's.

Micro adjustment could be useful to me although I strongly suspects my birding lens is spot-on.

The LCD does not really interest me as I am blind as a bat in he field without my reading glasses, I only look at the histogram to judge the exposure.

That leaves the extra MP's and from a full frame on the 40D I can print as big as I will ever need so the 50D will only be of use to me if I can crop heavier. The day I start to see 100% crops of birds that are small in the frame that are as good as the 40D is the day that I will certainly order a 50D, I am willing this to be case but up to now I must say that I have not seen this to be so.

I am not knocking the 50D but thus far see little advantage for me to change from the 40D.

Very good, but the noise reduction are just a bit too strong. With mine I shut off the NR, the result are much better and the noise are very fine. At least you can select to remove only the chroma noise in DPP. Naturaly the 50D meter to the right (overexpose) wich help greatly with noise management. Compared to the 40D noise, the one of the 50D are very very fine, in print it is invisible.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back