• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrows expert needed, in Europe Tree, House, Spanish? (1 Viewer)

Deb335077

Please help, I am having great difficulty seeing the difference with Spanish sparrows and are Italian sparrows the same as Spanish other than location and please help clarify these
1 taken in Slovenia
2 taken in Slovenia
3 taken in Montenegro
4 taken in Venice, Italy
5 taken in Venice, Italy

thanks for any help given
Debbie

Attachments

• 000 Sparrow - AAA - Slovenia Ljubljana -EMAIL.jpg
    000 Sparrow - AAA - Slovenia Ljubljana -EMAIL.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 000 Sparrow - AAA - Slovenia Ljubljana - EMAIL.jpg
    000 Sparrow - AAA - Slovenia Ljubljana - EMAIL.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 000 Sparrow - AAA - Montenegro Kotor -EMAIL.jpg
    000 Sparrow - AAA - Montenegro Kotor -EMAIL.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 000 Sparrow - AAA - Italy Venice EMAIL.jpg
    000 Sparrow - AAA - Italy Venice EMAIL.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 000 Sparrow - AAA - Italy Venice - EMAIL itallian.jpg
    000 Sparrow - AAA - Italy Venice - EMAIL itallian.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 95
2 more

6 taken in Slpit, Croatia
7 taken in Corfu, Greece

thanks again for any help

Attachments

• 000 Sparrow - AAA - Croatia Split - 1EMAIL.jpg
    000 Sparrow - AAA - Croatia Split - 1EMAIL.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 000 Sparrow - AAA - Corfu Agios Gordios EMAIl.jpg
    000 Sparrow - AAA - Corfu Agios Gordios EMAIl.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 41
Not an expert on sparrows but the first three look like House Sparrows and the other two look like Italian

Hi, by no means a sparrow expert, but I think that Nr. 5 is a clear Italien sparrow (brown cap, white cheeks), the rest are House sparrows. Nr. 4 I am not sure, a juv. bird perhaps (the left bird is a female, which look the same for all species).

The fifth bird in the series is an adult male Italian Sparrow - both it and Spanish Sparrow have chestnut brown crowns, but Spanish has more extensive dark chest/flank markings. The other males all have grey crowns so are House Sparrow. Female type House/Italian/Spanish Sparrows are doubtfully distinguishable in the field (although various features are claimed to be indicative of female Spanish). I'm not aware of any criteria to seperate female Italian Sparrow on plumage/structure. However, they should be Italian on range, but, given the location, I doubt that you can absolutely rule out the possibility of the odd House Sparrow turning up,

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back