• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (2 Viewers)

Well done Rich, good to see that determination brings its rewards, as it did for us at The Bill this morning, as a pair of Ravens were only the second sighting ever. Almost as rare nowadays as a Richard Prior sighting!

Ian

Ravens declining down there? Thought it was generally one of the few birds that was actually increasing?

True enough, but still rare on the Selsey Peninsula, and at the Bill itself even more so, I'm suitably jealous, it would've been a nice addition to my Selsey garden list :C

Cheers Ian, I suppose I've become a 'Description Species' down there nowadays;).
Still hope to get over for my skua 'fix' sometime this year, though last year's Pöm total doesn't encourage!

Hi Rich,

Just checking my records for last sighting, you must remember from your time here that a low Pom total one year can easily be a huge one the following year.

Hope to see you soon anyway, just searching for my id records to check salient characteristics!!

Ian

52. Cooper's Hawk
53. Golden Eagle - always great to see this somewhat uncommon eagle.
54. Fox Sparrow
55. Eastern Phoebe - surprised I didn't get this guy a little earlier with the easy winter we had.
56. Northern Flicker

Pleasant 13 C today, forest pool still solid ice (can still walk across it), but first butterflies, first bumblebee, first frogs, first ticks (three on my leg!), plus a light drift of incoming migrants. Many Starlings, Black-headed Gulls and Fieldfares arrived overnight, but very light passage otherwise. However, amongst today's highlights, a splendid male Hen Harrier, my fourth White-tailed Eagle of the week, two Great White Egrets (6th record on my land, these unfortunately flying directly over the Grey Heron colony without pause, continuing north) and, decidedly early, a White Stork back on its nest!

52. Great White Egret
53. White Stork
54. Hen Harrier
55. Common Gull
56. Meadow Pipit
57. White Wagtail
58. Fieldfare
59. Chaffinch

Last edited:
Sigh, I was level with Jos for just a brief instant, then, in a flash, he was gone!!
Bramblings still hanging on (see pic of a few from the other day), eating the seeds I'm putting out, much to the disgruntlement (judging by his expression, see other pic) of our 'local celebrity' Italian Sparrow!

Attachments

• IMG_8701.jpg
    IMG_8701.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_87121.jpg
    IMG_87121.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 54
Sigh, I was level with Jos for just a brief instant, then, in a flash, he was gone!!
...our 'local celebrity' Italian Sparrow!

Scope them mountains! A couple of good days and you'll be level again ...won't be any additions for me until at least Thursday.

And I have yet to record a sparrow of any sort - checked the base of the closest stork nest today, neither Tree nor House Sparrow has returned to date.

Scope them mountains! A couple of good days and you'll be level again ...won't be any additions for me until at least Thursday.

Had a frustrating couple of distant possibles this morning, both too distant and too fast in the gale force wind , Redwing (which is rare here at any time of year) and Ring Ousel (will see some of those from the garden soon I'm sure).But this afternoon I've been too busy for birding, working away in the kitchen, look!

Attachments

• IMG_8714.jpg
    IMG_8714.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 46
I've been too busy for birding, working away in the kitchen, look!

Not bad!

PS. maybe you saw on another thread, one of the Great Tits from my feeders was caught in Switzerland not so very far from you. Always said I'd sent you a few birds from this way if you need to boost your list ...sorry it was only a Great Tit, blame it on the post :)

Finally got good views of the hawks that have been soaring over the ridge this week, the return of
No. 24. Red Shouldered Hawk.
Then this morning, very pleased to see an addition under the feeders too.
No. 25 Fox Sparrow
doing a little dance in the leaves. Heavy rain today and the snow on the ground is clearing.

Not bad!

PS. maybe you saw on another thread, one of the Great Tits from my feeders was caught in Switzerland not so very far from you. Always said I'd sent you a few birds from this way if you need to boost your list ...sorry it was only a Great Tit, blame it on the post :)

That's the trouble with mail order/on line shopping, always likely to feel let down by the result!

Well, I made a valiant attempt to catch up with Jos again (fat chance!), spending a good 2 to 3 hours around the patch and in the garden, a mild morning before the rain set in again later. On my walk I had some lovely close views of very smart Water Pipits in their spring finery, all pink breasted and blue headed, and the first Chiffchaff was singing. The latter evidently took a vow of silence before I got back home and I never heard it again, otherwise I would have added FIVE to the Garden Year list, but I was chuffed enough with four, namely

51 Water Pipit
52 Firecrest
53 Peregrine Falcon
54 Crag Martin

Around 15 Crag Martins passed through during the morning, not annual here despite breeding about 15 miles away. At least 40 Water Pipits flew into the field behind the house, and like the Firecrest, have appeared this year on a typical date (exactly the same date as 2014 in the Pipits' case.Helping the LPO with a Red Kite breeding survey tomorrow, so I hope this rain stops..........

All have been quite common here:

#18. Common Starling
#19. Common Gull

Proper spring at last - almost 10 C degrees at the daytime and sunny. Icecover has melted and the local bay is full of life - swans, geese, ducks, gulls, coots, herons and cormorants.
I also started biking season today. :hippy:

Hello all, I've been busy and not on BF much. I'm hugely impressed by your garden Wallcreeper, Dan!

I've not had anything new until yesterday when no 52) female Reed Bunting dropped in on the feeders briefly and today no 53) Peregrine over. Hoping for some migrants soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back